High CPU usage

ka-mil

Hello,

few weeks ago I upgraded antivirus to 7.1 actually it is version 2053. I am runing latest updated windows 10. Since upgrade I have issues with CPU usage, in task manager I see ESET Service consuming approx. 30-35% cpu for hours. The issue was not before upgrade. Last week I switched over to new notebook, and I the issue is here even with brand new notebook, 4 core cpu is approx. 30% cpu usage. 

This activity can last for hours, notebook cpu is hot and fan is noisy. It is very annoying. Sometimes this does not happen for days, but sometimes it lasts hours.

I would like to know how can I see eset logs to see what is causing this activity, if I can get rid of this somehow. Before upgrade I did not even know I run the Eset antivirus, it was so low cpu usage.

Thanks !

• Administrators

Have you checked if an on-demand scan is not scheduled in Scheduler and running? Does the issue persist after uninstalling Endpoint 7.1 and installing it from scratch with default settings without the ESMC agent being installed? Does temporarily pausing real-time protection make a difference?

• Marcos changed the title to High CPU usage

Temporarily pausing real-time protection make a difference did not make difference.

We have reviewed configuration with our administrator, disabled the on-idle scan and automatic full scan. Since then the problem does not occur, probably this was the cause of issues mentioned above.

Edited by ka-mil

• Administrators

The idle-state scan should run only if the system is idling, e.g. when the screen saver is active, no user is logged on or if the system is locked. As for a regular on-demand scan, it should not be scheduled to run often and at the time when users work on the machine. Personally I would not recommend running it more frequently than once in a few weeks.