Eset settings can be exported but not imported

1579134963_esetexportfailed.JPG.0287ae0292024017c1e3275275172fe2.JPGI have uninstalled Eset Security 13.0.22.0 and reinstalled, and also uninstalled using their tool in safe mode and reinstalled but i still have this issue. I can successfully export my settings to an xml file but when i try to import the settings i have exported i get this message in red letters:  "the operation has failed". I am at a loss on how to correct this as i have the same version of Eset on another computer (both are Windows 7 computers) and I have no issue on the other computer. Eset even took control of my computer to see the problem and were unable to come up with a solution. Anyone ever encountered this problem before?

Many thanks!

Edited by saintsuperb
include snapshot of Eset statement

In the past i have exported my settings to an external drive to a folder dedicated to my Eset exports. When this problem arose i considered the very same thing you mention. I then tried exporting to a folder created on the OS boot drive and had the very same problem. Eset representative collected log files and said they would investigate but had no estimation of when I would receive the results

In Windows Explorer, display hidden files. Now verify that the export file is named xxxxx.xml and not xxxxx.xml.xml or some other double suffixed file name.

Try not using an all numeric suffix for the exported file name.

Personally, I don't believe your issue is with importing. I suspect that the exported .xml file is not being properly formatted for some unknown reason.

Did you password protect the Eset GUI?

i just tried with a non numeric name. No luck. I did not password protect. I never have. although on my other computer that is configured the very same way I have no issues with it importing.

46 minutes ago, saintsuperb said:

although on my other computer that is configured the very same way I have no issues with it importing.

Assuming both Win 7 PCs have the identical Eset type and version installed, try this:

1. Export your existing settings from the other PC not having import issues. You can then import them when done testing.

2. Import the export file created from the PC have import issues into the other PC. Note: I am not sure the import will work but it should if the export file doesn't contain licensing data which I don't think it does.

At this point if the other PC file import works, the issue is not related to export file creation on the PC having import issues.

Now import the export file created in step 1. on the PC not having issues to restore your original settings on that PC.

wow! what a novel idea! I don't know how to explain it but i saved an export file from my other computer to a jump drive and then I was able to import the settings from the other computer to the one i was not able to import to. Thank you for this. At least i know i am able to restore settings in this way but still clueless as to why I can't do it with export files created on that computer. Thanks for this idea though. I will use it!

6 minutes ago, saintsuperb said:

but still clueless as to why I can't do it with export files created on that computer.

Appears there is some type of file corruption occuring when the file is created; i.e. exported. Assuming you have no issues with other file types being created, hard drive issues could be ruled out. At this point, I would say this has to be an OS issue of some type when creating .xml files.

which is what i can't understand as when i create the file i get the message that it was created successfully. only when trying to import from the location where it was exported do i get the message that the operation has failed. But, thanks again for at least I know I can do it via a jumpdrive.