ESMC Upgrade

Hello.  I'm running ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0) and ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.429.0).  When I login to ESMC, I receive an update notice to upgrade to 7.0.72.3.  So I went to Help->Update Product and backed up our CA, peer certificates, DB, and then clicked Update.  A new client task was created and it is showing that it completed on the server.  However, a few minutes later, I receive the update notification again and when I check the version of the server and web console, it is still the same.  How do I get 7.0.72.3 installed?  Is there something that I'm missing?  Thanks for any help!

As I stated in my original post, I did backup the CA, peer certs, and DB.  I clicked Update and a new client task was created and started on my server.  It said it was finished, but after a few minutes, the upgrade message came back and my server doesn't appear to have been updated to 7.1.  If I go to Help->About, it still shows 7.0.577.0.

image.thumb.png.3301e6472e65c66dddf3abaa95f23c65.png

image.png.29ed49d5103146fc6683cfec7c027b32.png

• ESET Staff

Could you please open/edit client task you created and verify it's configuration? It should be referencing some 7.1.* version in it's configuration - in this case it seems that something went wrong and it is referencing previous version, resulting in non-working update.

I looked at the server object in ESMC and went to Installed Applications.  Below is what is listed.  When I click on ESET Security Management Center Server, and then clicked Update ESET Products at the bottom, I get this message.  I'm thinking this is why I keep getting the update message.  Is there a way to update ESET Security Management Center Server?

image.thumb.png.372d60ff4a9293e1fe1c012931580cc9.png

• ESET Staff
6 minutes ago, T3chGuy007 said:

I looked at the server object in ESMC and went to Installed Applications.  Below is what is listed.  When I click on ESET Security Management Center Server, and then clicked Update ESET Products at the bottom, I get this message.  I'm thinking this is why I keep getting the update message.  Is there a way to update ESET Security Management Center Server?

image.thumb.png.372d60ff4a9293e1fe1c012931580cc9.png

Actually this one-click mechanism of updating is available only for ESET security products, not ESMC components.

In order to upgrade ESMC components, previously mentioned "Components upgrade task" should be executed on clients. Task is configured properly, but it is not clear whether it has actually been executed. I would recommend to check client details you targeted it, and verify that client is connecting and that client execeted task.

In order to upgrade ESMC itself, just target it in console with the same task, it will upgrade all ESMC components, including AGENT, ESMC Server and Webconsole.

Hello.  When I went to Help->Update Product, it created a new components upgrade task and I targeted my ESMC server.  The task completed, but my server is still showing outdated.  I went ahead and created a new task called Components Upgrade Task.  See details below.  I then targeted my ESMC server again and it completed.  However, it is still showing outdated.  From what you are saying, this task should upgrade all ESMC components, but it doesn't appear to be doing so.

image.png.bc10d986897a7c0d73d5839200a1613a.png

image.thumb.png.d78895adec5c2d5bb0a889dc76ecf1d1.png

image.thumb.png.d0e5d03c8409018e7e6e7114f10ff7c0.png

• ESET Staff

Just realized that ESMC Management Agent on this device was already upgraded so task obviously was executed. One last idea I have is that upgrade fails due to some reason. For example older databases were dropped from support in ESMC 7.1: any chance you are using SQL Server 2008?

Otherwise it would probably require check of trace logs from AGENT on this machine to verify whether some installation or download error is reported.

Hello.  I did a clean install of ESMC on a new Windows Server 2019 Datacenter VM.  It looks like it installed SQL Server 2008.  Is there another ESMC install that I can run on the server to upgrade the version of SQL that is being used?

• ESET Staff
7 minutes ago, T3chGuy007 said:

Hello.  I did a clean install of ESMC on a new Windows Server 2019 Datacenter VM.  It looks like it installed SQL Server 2008.  Is there another ESMC install that I can run on the server to upgrade the version of SQL that is being used?

Thanks for confirmation. This is definitely not correct behavior and I would expect SQL Server 2014 to be installed so there seems to be some kind of a problem in installer itself.

Regardless of that, solution should be upgrade of database server to more recent versions. If I recall correctly, there should be no issues and all data and configuration should be retained.

ESMC 7.1 all-in-one installer introduced support for upgrading ESMC components but I am currntly not sure whether upgrade of database server is supported, but probably not.

I downloaded the ESMC all-in-one installer from the website but it failed during installed.  I checked the log files and it I believe this is the first error that came up:

MSI (s) (24!28) [16:47:28:224]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying P_LAST_LOG_MESSAGE property. Its current value is 'INFO: SQL Database server version is '10.50.4000.0', which is considered as NOT SUPPORTED.'. Its new value: 'ERROR: Provided database is not supported'.

I'm assuming that's because SQL 2008 is installed.  Should I be able to install SQL Server Express 2017 to fix the upgrade issue?

• ESET Staff
8 hours ago, T3chGuy007 said:

I'm assuming that's because SQL 2008 is installed.  Should I be able to install SQL Server Express 2017 to fix the upgrade issue?

Yes, that would be most reasonable, as SQL Server 2019 was released too late to perform long-term testing.

For those of you in the same situation, I first had to install SP3 for SQL Server 2008 R2 Express because you can't directly upgrade to SQL Server 2017 Express unless you are running SP3.  I was running SP2.  Once this was done, I upgraded to SQL Server 2017 Express by using the custom install option.  I then opened ESMC and went to Help->About.  The DB version is now showing Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM) Express Edition (64-bit) 14.0.1000.169.  I then went to Help->Upgrade Product and a new client task was created.  After a few minutes, I was kicked out of ESMC and I could not log back in.  A few minutes later, the login page wouldn't even come up, but after some more time, it finally came up and I was able to log back in.  ESMC is now showing it is v7.1717.0 and the Web Console is at v7.1.393.0.  The last thing I did was install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) on my server so I could manage the DB a little easier.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/supported-version-and-edition-upgrades-2017?view=sql-server-ver15

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-ver15