This is getting annoying.

I've had this anti-virus for a long time now. I switched from Avast! And to be honest, I regret it. The fact that I get about 20 pop-ups when a virus is detected is freaking ridiculous. For some reason the CCleaner setup file is detected as a potential threat which is very annoying, I have to press "No action" THREE times before it finally leaves it alone. It happens EVERY single time it finds something as simple as a "toolbar virus" (If I can call it that). It feels like it's made for 12 year olds. I'm serious when I say about 20 pop-ups every time something is detected. Also, how do I disable the module that deletes installation files with toolbar options? AND this is one of the biggest problems, you can't change language! Fix this now. I paid for 1 freaking year.

Edited by Stoney

• Administrators

This is because a threat or potentially unwanted / unsafe application (PUA) is detected whenever it's accessed or run. If you want to use such application, you can exclude it from scanning and it won't be detected any more. To accomplish this, unfold the advanced options menu in the yellow window displayed upon a PUA detection and select "Exclude from scanning". Then click No action. The next time the file is accessed, it won't be detected.

If you receive the yellow window while attempting to download CCleaner, simply choose No action and then exclude the PUA file on the disk as instructed above.

This is because a threat or potentially unwanted / unsafe application (PUA) is detected whenever it's accessed or run. If you want to use such application, you can exclude it from scanning and it won't be detected any more. To accomplish this, unfold the advanced options menu in the yellow window displayed upon a PUA detection and select "Exclude from scanning". Then click No action. The next time the file is accessed, it won't be detected.

If you receive the yellow window while attempting to download CCleaner, simply choose No action and then exclude the PUA file on the disk as instructed above.

Thanks but still, is 20 warning pop-ups REALLY needed?

• Administrators

As explained above, an alert is triggered whenever a malicious file or a potentially unwanted / unsafe application is accessed or run. For instance, if a browser or installer continually attempts to download a file that is detected, you would get as many alerts as how many times the application attempts to download or access such file.

In the future, we plan to improve this and reduce the number of alerts.

Hello Stoney,

I'm sorry to say this, and its only because i hope we can enlighten you, but you have a tremendous amount to learn about information security, as well as the product you are using.

CCleaner has two installers.

1, that is bundled with toolbars and advertisements, (This is only a recent move by Piriform)

2, one that is only CCleaner

Have a look here : https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

About the many pop ups, and what Marcos was stating, you have the option of excluding detection of CCleaner's 3 or 4 pop ups, if you would just add it to the exclusions list.

How do I exclude files or folders from scanning in ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

Regarding potentially unwanted applications, this is a good short read by ESET:

What is a potentially unwanted application?

Basically if you don't want to experience this, you can exclude PUA from detection completely by going to Advanced (F5 from main menu) > Antivirus and Antispam, and deselecting Enable detection of Potentially unwanted applications.

However the PUA detection is what makes ESET outperform all the rest of the AV vendors.

Toolbars and PUA's are the new type of threat on the web, they are some of the worst things to allow on your system.

Toolbars do nothing but slow down your computer, open backdoors to allow trojans and worse, as well as change your homepage, cripple your browser and even worse, sometimes can never be removed.

The worst are a few like ( Ask toolbar, Conduit, )

Have a funny read here on reddit : I am a toolbar developer, your browsers worst nightmare.

I will stick around and hopefully assist you in understanding why you have these pop ups, and to show you the rest of the vendors are way behind the industry, because of it.

Thanks for choosing a great product for security like ESET, but we're not done yet, and im sorry for your troubles and bad taste from all the pop-ups.

I hope we can help you. :)

Edited by Arakasi

if you don't want PUA's to be detected then simply disable them, they are disabled by default actually. And it's totally optional for each user to enabled them or not. But they are detected for a reason.

When you feel that you have collected enough toolbars in your browser then you can enable PUA detections again ;)

Thanks. Still doesn't explain all the pop-ups you get when you open a trojan for example. 1 is enough.

Hi Stoney !

I would love to entertain the notion and possibly ask you to give us an example, maybe one you experienced recently other then CCleaner ?

Throw in a little details, add some screen shots if you would be so kind, and we can give you a definitive answer to your question.

Sometimes certain packages will contain multiple threats in one file, or the specific trojan may replicate itself to multiple locations of the system, ie All drives, registry, memory, network share and into another machine all at once. This would possible give you 3 or 4 dialogues 1 for each threat.

Might i add that, you can change the settings to allow the program to automatically make a decision based off user defined settings, you can click the corner of the dialogues and close all notifications at once, and you can also set the program not to notify you at all as well.

Whatever way you would like to set up your security software, we're here to help, just ask how you would like to see it behave ~ :D

I just want to point out that a Trojan is seen as Malware, while PUA's (potentially unwanted/unsafe applications) is seen as unwanted/unsafe, often bundled in installers, we can take CCleaner as an example. ESET is not detecting CCleaner but the bundled PUA. And the reason is simply that if someone downloads the standard installer of CCleaner and during the install clicks next, next, next, done. The PUA would be installed, and the user would wonder why they now have a toolbar in their browser when all they did was to install CCleaner.

But if the user would un-check the bundled offer during the install, the PUA would not be installed. But far from everyone does that and that's why ESET has detection against PUA's wich as explained is a totally optional detection category.

Edited by SweX

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The reason that you are seeing three popups is because when the web browser attempts to download the file and is blocked, it retries the download two more times before failing. Those two additional download attempts are what causes the popups to appear multiple times.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky