auto update

Wrogg

Morning all.

I have a 2 pc Nod 32 license. One installed on desktop the second on my laptop.

If my desktop is on, when I start the laptop it doesn't auto update, no error messages I don't think it tries? It manually updates.

Sometimes I don't use the laptop for days it just sits with old definitions until manually run update.

If it is restarted frequently it auto updates.

in scheduler it has 2 auto file check on start up entries but auto update after user log on is unchecked? Is this by default? and should I check it?

Thanks

• Administrators

Does right-clicking an update task and selecting "Run now" trigger update? If you leave the computer running, does the timestamp of the Regular update task change after one or more hours?

I shall watch it tonight, I am suspecting a timing issue, Right click run now works both computers. used regularly both pc's will update on start up left for a few days and they don't seem to. strange.

Will run for a few hours tonight and watch.

Thanks for fast response!

but auto update after user log on is unchecked? Is this by default? and should I check it?

Thanks

It is by default yes, it's un-checked here too and ESET is updating just fine here. 

When this happens, it's only when I have been using one pc, finish then switch to the second.

I used desktop twice this week, the laptop has been updating fine.

I get a red ! and the error reads "There was an error downloading the database" and give me a troubleshooting button, press update now and it does, fine with no errors.

Is this due to two clients using the same username and password maybe? Something I have never done before.

I have tried clearing update cache.

I can live with it just wondered what's causing it.

Windows 8.1 64 bit pro on Desktop, clean install

windows 8.1 64 bit home on laptop clean install

Both on a sharing Home network, again something I have never had before.

Eset Nod32 7.0.302.26

Cheers

Edited by Wrogg

You need to verify that your license is good for two computers. If not,  you need to purchase another license, or contact your local distributor, or ESET customer care if you bought through the website, and request 1 PC added to the license.

• Administrators

The best course of action would be to contact Customer care who should assist you with generating a log from the updater and then pass it to engineers for analysis.

Starting to bug me. Gone back to defender.

May try support if I get time.

TBH I am probably giving up on third party as nothing seems to work well on windows 8.

Perhaps Microsoft designed it that way.

It is a 2 PC licence.

Support just emailed me and told me to call an 0845 number! Not even a standard "fully remove previous anti virus letter"

As I spend between 10 and 12 hours a day staring at a screen solving issues, when I get home I want to play WoW check into Facebook etc. It may seen I am being unhelpful but really cannot be bothered to be honest.

I don't think it like my network.

If anyone finds a quick fix and posts on here I may try again as I just bought a 2 year license, I feel safer with defender than a program that cannot update.

For others things I have tried:

clearing cache (both pc's)

removal run eset removal tool in safe mode and re install (both pc's)

setting updates to never use proxy.

re entering licence details, however I fail to see what this this would do a manually updating seems to work each and every time.

Cheers all

I will keep checking back every now and then. 

Windows installer also crashes on removal (both pc's) by the way

Edited by Wrogg

My laptop is fine. I had serious problems on my desktop. Can anyone confirm this maybe use of the removal tool, if not I think my motherboard is dying!

An hour after removal, I had a complete lock up. Event viewer said it had rebuilt a registry hive.

Then there were lots of ide and cd rom driver controller errors.

Windows actually put all my drives in the wrong order!

As this was a fresh install I have re installed windows and all has been fine since (about 5 hours)

Would this be hardware or a software glitch?

I checked all cables and they seemed fine, there are no driver errors in event viewer since I re installed windows.

The laptop has had no issues at all, and exactly the same operation was carried out 

Laptop is Intel desktop is an ageing amd 1090T self build.

These problems were, I think, due to me using the removal tool after changing registry values.

The auto update issue has been around since v6 and is seen on ethernet wired connections. Windows 8 uses hibernate as shut down Eset tries to update before dns is established, strangely works fine on wifi.

I should have used Google before I started messing.

This is only really a problem if you use PC for less than an hour, if you do it will never update, I guess. 

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1330-virus-signature-database-update-ended-with-an-error/

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1330-virus-signature-database-update-ended-with-an-error/

Edited by Wrogg