Security issues arising when sharing WiFi with a neighbor.

Hello everyone.

I am a very pleased Premium user of ESET. I am also very impressed with the feautures available. Speaking of which, when using Connected Home Monitor, sometimes I see devices with blocked traffic (which is good). Those devices belong to my neighbors, with whom I share the internet (wifi only).  Sharing wifi password was a mutual agreement between us (cost reduction purposes mainly). The router device is in his home (so he only has the password of the router and the ID). Lately though, I am more concerned about the cyber-security issues of this agreement and whether ot not my traffic is secured. Is it like connecting to a public WiFi?

P.S. All of my devices have the latest payed ESET products installed.

1 hour ago, Vilket Namn said:

Is it like connecting to a public WiFi?

Somewhat.

The neighbor with the router could "sniff" your network traffic via man-in-the-middle techniques that have been employed against public wi-fi hot spots. So it really boils down to if your trust your neighbor not to engage in like nefarious activities.

The main danger is if your neighbor's router gets hacked, anyone connected to that router could be infected or have their network traffic compromised. Also I really don't know how Eset's Connected Home Monitor performs in this situation. I believe Eset designed it to protect within premises networks. I would switch to the Eset Public profile since for all practical purposes you are connecting to a public wi-fi network.

Edited by itman

Thank you. So should I just change the type of my network from Home to Public? Can I have some more information regarding how I can protect myself and prevent the worst? Do you think I should really purchase my own router? 

I think I might have to do the latter.

33 minutes ago, Vilket Namn said:

So should I just change the type of my network from Home to Public?

Personally, I believe any Wi-FI connection should be using the Public profile; even home based ones.

34 minutes ago, Vilket Namn said:

Do you think I should really purchase my own router? 

For maximum security protection that would be my recommendation.

• Most Valued Members
59 minutes ago, Vilket Namn said:

Thank you. So should I just change the type of my network from Home to Public? Can I have some more information regarding how I can protect myself and prevent the worst? Do you think I should really purchase my own router? 

I think I might have to do the latter.

With a router you'd also need to sign up for an internet service I presume.

Not sure if legal issues could effect each other to e.g. if one user was downloading illegal files, copyrighted etc. Although not sure if the person with the router would be held responsible