ESET File security 7.0.12018.0 on RDS2016 crashes services

Hi,

Since last monday 28/10 we have Remote Desktop Server 2016 crashing services / hung sessions on five RDS servers (different networks).

These problems are not only on RDS sessions, also the administrator on the console experience windows-explorer related issues not responding anymore.

In all cases, it's Eset File Security which is locking up and crashing other services. A complete reboot of the RDS has to be done.

A manual update after reboot seems to work. But a couple of hours later, the same happens again.

At this point, we have disabled the update feature on the GUI client on de RDS.

We cannot find a solution yet. Anyone experience the same problems? It's only happening on Remote Desktop Servers 2016.

Regards,

Bart

• Administrators

Please check the version of the Configuration Engine module (36) under Update -> Show all modules.

Is EFSW crashing even with the version of the module 1745.13?

image.png

Hi

we see a similar issue, 

1.ESET is stuck on update

2.The server is partly unresponsive  and user's who attempts to logout is stuck on:

Please Wait for the system Event Notification Service

so between the 26 and today there must have been a bad definition/module release.

i have a server where i can recreate the issue where the ESET update is stuck again after a hard reboot.

update seems to have stopped here on some servers:

2019-10-26T12:00:15Z 09e5a745-679c-4215-90be-6b4c212bcf4e,efsw,211,7.0.12016.0,GA,biz paid(3),6.3.9600 SP 0.0 NT,NB_NO,LicenseChange

Edited by Erlend

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Erlend said:

we see a similar issue, 

1.ESET is stuck on update

2.The server is partly unresponsive  and user's who attempts to logout is stuck on:

Is that with the above CE module 1745.13 installed?

12 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Is that with the above CE module 1745.13 installed?

can i check this directly from the file system remotely? 

but can you answer if there is a known issue or not?

Hi, We are experiencing the same issue on our RDS 2016 server, rebooting fixes the problem but its doing this 2x a day. Eset File Security stops responding and doesn't load, also explorer.exe crashes.

Any help would be fantastic. 

Kind regards

Jason

I'm having problems as well with a server.  Running Server 2016 and RDS.

File Explorer is not opening for my users and there's other erratic behaviour.  ESET version shows as 7.0.12016.0.  When I tell it up update it just sits saying Updating Product and nothing happens.

Is there something going on?  I need an answer asap as this is disrupting business operations.

• Administrators

We were reported issues on terminal servers with EFSW v7 installed and the CE module 1811.5 when ESET's advanced setup was inaccessible (empty) or MS Office applications were blocked. The module was reverted to an older version yesterday and you should be now on version 1745.13 which is not affected and had been previously on update servers.

it's also affecting servers without the RDS session host role installed, we are in the process of identifying all of them.

is there a way to kill the stuck update/eset without doing a reboot?

If I'm allowed to reboot the Server then I will check the module version. If not then I will let you know in a couple of hours.

Eset console doesn't open

8 minutes ago, JasonKE said:

If I'm allowed to reboot the Server then I will check the module version. If not then I will let you know in a couple of hours.

Eset console doesn't open

after a reboot it probably sort's itself out, i have only one server that needed a second reboot before the issue was resolved.

Just now, Erlend said:

after a reboot it probably sort's itself out, i have only one server that needed a second reboot before the issue was resolved.

Yea I've been rebooting since Monday. I tried to stop the modules updating but no luck. Just a pain to have to keep kicking users off to reboot. 

We have had three customers all with RDS farms 2012r and 2016 having all kinds of issues. Explorer.exe crashing, ESET plugin for Outlook hanging Outlook up and what we found to temporarily find and fix it was to disable the ESET file context shell. We ultimately ended up downloading and installing the latest ESET file server version and doing an in place upgrade. So far that is fixing the issues. Hopefully!!!

I've also noticed that while the system is in a semi crashed state the right click function on icons doesn't work. Also the ESET processes don't take up any of the CPU so it probably not scanning.

Not sure if I have a full itemized list of what's going wrong, but the ones I can think of are:

• File Explorer not responsive, though you can access it if you open Control Panel first and choose this PC from the address bar, or in a command prompt you can type "start ." and it will launch, or "This PC" shortcuts on the desktop.
  • Can right-click and get a context menu on a blank area of the desktop, but NOT on an actual shortcut or other icon.
  • Freezing windows/start menu.
  • Can't access ESET GUI
  • Remote connections don't connect or get stuck on a black screen.
  • Applications either do not launch or take significantly longer to launch.
  • Accessing network drives isn't possible.  Copying data on the network causes errors.
  • Can't sign out users as administrator.
  • Please Wait for the system Event Notification Service

I think that's a good start.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Erlend said:

is there a way to kill the update process and ESET? to avoid reboot.

Is it possible to display information about installed modules in the update panel? If so, do you have the Configuration Engine module (36) version 1745.13 (released yesterday) or the troublesome one 1811.5 ? If the latter, is it possible to run update by right-clicking an update task in Scheduler and selecting Run now?

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Is it possible to display information about installed modules in the update panel? If so, do you have the Configuration Engine module (36) version 1745.13 or the troublesome one 1811.5 ?

no, both ESET shell and GUI is non-responsive (not able to start them), but i can access the file system remotely on the affected servers.
is the module a separate dll file?, that i can check the version on?

Edited by Erlend

• Administrators

Check "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET File Security\Modules\em036_64\1237\em036_64.dll". The number 1237 is important as it means version 1745.13 which is in fact the version that was on update servers before.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, JasonKE said:

I have attached a screen capture

You obviously have a good version of the CE module 1745.13. Are you having issues with it as well? Even after a server restart?