ESET 13 Anti-theft: no phantom account alert

I upgraded my Windows 10 laptop to v13 of ESET Internet Security yesterday. It now repeatedly displays a warning that the anti-theft component is not optimized as the phantom account is missing. The account is present (the default "work") and has been present for several years. I ran the anti-theft web site option to create the account but it made no difference. I manually deleted the "work" account on the laptop and also deleted it from the anti-theft web site, then ran the option to create it again. Although the web site said the account had been created there was no "work" account on the laptop.

The laptop is fully up to date with all Windows 10 updates including the cumulative updates to v1903 and the .NET framework released this week

The anti-theft component worked fine with ESET v12

I've disabled the anti-theft for this device until this issue is resolved.

• Administrators

Please make sure to raise a support ticket with your local customer care on this. Besides you can drop me a personal message with your registration email address for my.eset.com as well as the name of the device so that we can check what happened.

• Administrators

We will check it with developers. To me it seems that the phantom account is removed during upgrade which I think should not happen.

Marcos  - the Windows "work" account was still present and could be seen under the Computer Management tool on Windows even though the local Internet Security app reported a problem (optimization) and the web site said the phantom account was not present. I deleted it both on the laptop in windows and at the my.eset.com web site. When I ran the command to recreate the phantom account on the web site it said it was successfully created but it did not appear on the laptop under the management app listing. The eset site and the laptop seem to no longer be communicating properly? Nothing has changed apart from the ESET update from v12 to v13

UPDATE: I have received a standard proforma reply to my support ticket on this issue instructing me to completely remove ESET IS in safe mode and re-install. Both PCs are in constant use and I'm not going to do this for now as all other ESET functionality is unaffected and it's not clear whether such a drastic "solution" will address the issue as it seems to be a defect in the software. I await an update to ESET to fix the defect before I attempt to re-initialise the Anti-Theft component.

• 1 month later...

I'm a novice here and need help with the anti-theft program on my laptop.  I setup the win 10 laptop for anti-theft about a year ago and when I travel widely get notices from eset the the effect "suspicious behavior noted on your laptop, is it missing", which I ingore.  Last week however I was overseas, and when I turned on the laptop I had both the regular and phantom acount identifiers on the home screen and inadvertently moved my cursor over the phantom ID, and the laptop automatically logged into that account.  I can't figure out how to get back to my regular account.  I noticed a comment on this tread about deactivating the anti-theft, but how to do that is not clear.  I did open my.eset.com account and it displays the Parental Control, Anti-theft, Social Media Scanner, and License Manager icons but going into the Anti-theft just allows download and installation, which I did already....leading to my problem.

Mine has displayed this error for some time as well. When I click "check again" there error goes away for a few minutes, but always comes back. And it still does this on 13.0.24.0 (upgraded this a.m.)

Not sure if related, but event viewer also has WMI errors related to the Eset process (and higher than usual cpu usage of late...)

40 minutes ago, bilzebubba said:

Mine has displayed this error for some time as well. When I click "check again" there error goes away for a few minutes, but always comes back. And it still does this on 13.0.24.0 (upgraded this a.m.)

Not sure if related, but event viewer also has WMI errors related to the Eset process (and higher than usual cpu usage of late...)

Update: going to the anti-theft site, re-optimizing (and recreating the phanttom account) seems to have worked on the anti-theft notification issue on this latest version 13.0.24.0...now to figure out the WMI high cpu issue!