Firewall - Interactive Mode not working properly

Hi there,

after using ESET SS for something like 2 or 3 years now, the firewall module suddenly started to act up a few days ago. I've always been running the firewall in interactive mode and it worked like a charm, providing a popup for every unknown application sending/recieving data just as it's supposed to.

But now it just won't give any popups anymore and simply block every application without a matching rule, bringing new apps to a grinding halt. When I temporarily disable the firewall, everything starts up just fine. Switching from interactive to automatic works, at least as far as I can tell, but I'm not particularly eager on that mode.

Any ideas / recommendations to get it back to normal?

cheers

-baum

• Administrators

Couldn't it be that these applications have recently been updated? There's a known issue in the last build of v7 when detection of modification of network-aware applications may not work properly and the communication is blocked instead of prompting the user for an action.

You can check if disabling "Enable detection of application modifications" solves the problem to confirm that the issue is caused by this bug. It's been already fixed and the fix will be included in the next service build of ESS.

I don't think so unfortunately, since programs with already existing rules run just fine. It seems to be specific for programs without any rules for them. No matter if I simply delete an existing permit rule for stuff like Thunderbird or Chrome, or if I try some new software I have never used before (SmartFTP instead of FileZilla), no popup dialogue appears and they just can't send/recieve anything.

Strangely enough, if I uninstall und then re-install ESS, everything works just fine for an hour or so. Then without any notable change or discernable reason, it turns back to the situation mentioned above.

Nonetheless, I'm going to give your solution a try now and hope for the best :) And of course, thanks for the effort so far!

Hello,

Have you tried setting the Firewall to Learning Mode for a while and launch a few of the apps so necessary rules will be created automatically, and then switch back to the firewall mode you would like to use. 

• Administrators

If the firewall is blocking certain communication, continue as follows:

- temporarily enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup

- clear your firewall log

- reproduce the issue

- disable logging

Eventually post your firewall log records here. If there are too many records, export the log to a text file and attach it to your post.

Well after another day of probing, tweaking and generally fiddling around it seems everything is back working properly. I think another un-install, registry cleanup using CCleaner and then doing a clean re-install did the trick. Now I have to setup up every rule again, but at least ESS' popup asking how to handle unknown applications are back.

Had a few glitches with programs like MS Silverlight when trying to stream something through it, since Silverlight doesn't seem to launch via .exe directly in this case, but interestingly a quick switch to learning mode seem to have done the trick.

I guess (hope) I'm out of the woods again, thanks to everyone involved for their quick and easy support on this!

• 2 weeks later...

I am testing latest version 7 of Eset Smart Security and it's causing me a great deal of problems when Personal Firewall is set to Interactive Mode.

I figured it out in the end but there is no fix. Interactive Mode is broken on a windows pop-up level. This has nothing to do with rule creation, it's simpler than that. The Allow/Deny windows are being stacked up somewhere in the background and it's not possible to make them come in the Foreground so we can select the appropriate action: Allow or Deny. As long as this invisible stack of popups are not being answered, applications that you keep on a short leash (IE, Thunderbird, Firefox's plugin_container for flash content) will NOT be able to access the web.

This is bad programming inside Eset Smart Security 7 (64bit). When I shutdown Windows 7, all those Allow/Deny windows (e.g. Inbound from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) suddenly appear but it is too late as my laptop will soon shut down. Switching Windows to standby won't solve anything, you have to reboot. Clicking "Reset Windows Layout" on Eset won't make these windows come into foreground. ALT+TAB can't find those hidden Allow/Deny windows. You can switch to "Advanced >> Firewall >> Automatic Mode" to make those applications work but going back to Interactive Mode results in them staying blocked. It's all to do with those unaccessible Allow/Deny firewall popups. Please fix this soon.

I am testing latest version 7 of Eset Smart Security and it's causing me a great deal of problems when Personal Firewall is set to Interactive Mode.

I figured it out in the end but there is no fix. Interactive Mode is broken on a windows pop-up level. This has nothing to do with rule creation, it's simpler than that. The Allow/Deny windows are being stacked up somewhere in the background and it's not possible to make them come in the Foreground so we can select the appropriate action: Allow or Deny. As long as this invisible stack of popups are not being answered, applications that you keep on a short leash (IE, Thunderbird, Firefox's plugin_container for flash content) will NOT be able to access the web.

This is bad programming inside Eset Smart Security 7 (64bit). When I shutdown Windows 7, all those Allow/Deny windows (e.g. Inbound from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) suddenly appear but it is too late as my laptop will soon shut down. Switching Windows to standby won't solve anything, you have to reboot. Clicking "Reset Windows Layout" on Eset won't make these windows come into foreground. ALT+TAB can't find those hidden Allow/Deny windows. You can switch to "Advanced >> Firewall >> Automatic Mode" to make those applications work but going back to Interactive Mode results in them staying blocked. It's all to do with those unaccessible Allow/Deny firewall popups. Please fix this soon.

I don't have this problem, nor have i ever seen it.

I recommend you create a new thread, so we can troubleshoot and come to a resolution for you.

Are you saying I am inventing this? I don't know. Maybe I woke up this morning thinking "I am a big loser, how can I waste other people's time too. Oh yes, let me go to Eset forum!"  This makes no sense!

Think before you post something stupid *******!! Why would I take the time to register and post something if it was not real???? Since when did posting a problem become about "well, i don't have this problem." We don't need your opinion if this is the case!

Fresh clean install of latest Eset 7. Set it to Interactive Mode. It asks me Allow/Deny for a while and then stops. When Eset stops popping the Allow/Deny windows, my local web programs stop having access to the web (until I either disable Eset firewall or switch to Automatic mode). The reason why I need Interactive Mode is because I receive a lot of Inbound requests which needs to be denied. No rules or heuristics can help me. I have to be careful with Plugin_Container too. Sometimes it is legit request like BBC iPlayer but sometimes it needs web-access on a website that has no flash audio/video.

When I shutdown Windows, this is when those stupid Allow/Deny windows suddenly appear. And let me state the following very clearly, REBOOTING your computer to fix any problem, means failure.

THIS IS POOR PROGRAMMING. ESET FIREWALL IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. ZONEALARM HAS NEVER DONE THIS TO ME. ACTUALLY AT ZONEALARM, THEIR ANTI-VIRUS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!!

Edited by Gomez

Hello again

My apologies if you thought i was offensive in nature or stating you were lying about your reporting.

This was not the case.

In short terms, this is a new issue. We need to track and keep a clean reporting thread of the incident and any steps we can use to correct it.

Thread hi-jacking another already started support thread is not global web forum etiquette.

In order to be more organized, and according to the requested rules of the forum, i simply suggested starting a new thread and waiting for a forum moderator or ESET staff to begin assisting you.

It will receive more attention, and be resolved quicker. The end of this thread might get overlooked in short.

Thanks

Edited by Arakasi

Are you saying I am inventing this? I don't know. Maybe I woke up this morning thinking "I am a big loser, how can I waste other people's time too. Oh yes, let me go to Eset forum!"  This makes no sense!

Think before you post something stupid *******!! Why would I take the time to register and post something if it was not real???? Since when did posting a problem become about "well, i don't have this problem." We don't need your opinion if this is the case!

Fresh clean install of latest Eset 7. Set it to Interactive Mode. It asks me Allow/Deny for a while and then stops. When Eset stops popping the Allow/Deny windows, my local web programs stop having access to the web (until I either disable Eset firewall or switch to Automatic mode). The reason why I need Interactive Mode is because I receive a lot of Inbound requests which needs to be denied. No rules or heuristics can help me. I have to be careful with Plugin_Container too. Sometimes it is legit request like BBC iPlayer but sometimes it needs web-access on a website that has no flash audio/video.

When I shutdown Windows, this is when those stupid Allow/Deny windows suddenly appear. And let me state the following very clearly, REBOOTING your computer to fix any problem, means failure.

THIS IS POOR PROGRAMMING. ESET FIREWALL IS A WORK IN PROGRESS. ZONEALARM HAS NEVER DONE THIS TO ME. ACTUALLY AT ZONEALARM, THEIR ANTI-VIRUS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!!

Gomez you are right.

Like you and Baummonster, I am experiencing that exact same problem on a number of computers, for months and months now.

As far as I can notice, this problem is present only with Eset Smart Security 7 (ESS 7) on Windows 7 64bit machines.

As you mentioned, popup windows in Interactive Mode are becoming invisible, and they can be seen briefly only when OS restart or shutdown is initiated.

I suppose it has something to do with ESS 7 UI, but I'm not an expert.

So, like you, the only thing I found to be effective is to restart the computer, which is quite silly and temporary solution. I have no problem with ESS 6 version, but with ESS 7 the problem in question is present all the time, along with some other more serious problems (but they are not for this topic).

And don't bother with making any thread cause they'll do nothing.

This is an old problem, as old as ESS 7 version, and they know about it for at least six months.

I contacted support about this same problem three times now (November, December, February), but all they could say was that Interactive Mode is not always "reasonable" (!!!) ("vernünftig", German support), and recommended that I should switch to Automatic Filtering Mode as soon as I establish all the necessary rules. But I don't want to use Automatic Filtering Mode. And even when I have to, first I have to make necessary rules, and I'm forced to run through 3 to 8 computer restarts just to make rules which will cover only the basics.

Interactive Mode worked like a charm up until ESS 7, and we shouldn't compromise with Automatic Mode. Some of us find Eset firewall to be very useful tool, and among us there are those why are able to squeeze that firewall to it's maximum, and enjoy the full potential. Why should we settle for less?

Now, after six months from my initial complaint to support (and I'm sure there are many others who did a same), I would expect that this problem would go away after some update, but it didn't.

I own 65 licenses for ESS, on 325 computers, and only six of them are set to Interactive Mode. But these six computers are experiencing the same invisible popup firewall window.

And if I have to restart even one of them, just one more time, I swear I'll start looking for alternatives to ESS, even after almost 10 years of devoted subscription to NOD and ESS.

And yes, ESS is a work in progress, and it will always be, but after how many notes to Support, and after how many months of waiting... we are still at the beginning. Where is the progress in that?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I realize that you report this is occurring mostly at shutdown, but is it possible to provide a screenshot or capture a video, which you can then upload somewhere and then PM me a link to?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hello,

I realize that you report this is occurring mostly at shutdown, but is it possible to provide a screenshot or capture a video, which you can then upload somewhere and then PM me a link to?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

No. This problem is occurring from time to time (let's say once every 2-4 days, at least with what I observed), but when it happens it is persistent until the shutdown or restart is initiated.

But on the other hand, on computers planed to be set with Automatic Filtering Mode, when OS and ESS are freshly installed, I have to run through number of restarts with Interactive Mode, before I establish only a basic set of rules.

With one computer restart count exceeded 22, and it was almost impossible to establish any rule and I just gave up.

While ESS firewall is set to Interactive Mode, when some software try to establish inbound or outbound traffic, and the rule is not already defined, popup window should show up in front of everything, right.

Well... sometimes that popup window simply do not show up when it is supposed to do. We believe it stays somewhere in the background. And from that point on, all popup windows are going into background, and after that we are not able to make any temporary or permanent rules. Firewall is continuing to function properly, not allowing software with missing popup window to establish any inbound or outbound communication. There is no Alt+Tab, or any other method to recall these popup windows from their hidden state.

All we can do is to change firewall settings to Automatic Mode, because any new software without the firewall rule will be prevented from making any traffic without our permission, and we can't do anything cause there are no popup windows to block or allow internet access.

And the only way to annul this problem is to restart a computer. After computer restart is initiated, you can actually see popup windows reappearing from nowhere.

For me it is not possible to make video capture, I guess because these hidden popup windows are showing up only after all other software are turned off. I tried with recording a whole event with my phone, but when the restart is initiated everything is happening so fast and there is not even one frame with these popup windows reappearing, even I can see them with my eyes briefly. I guess I have a crappy camera.

I like to think I know a bit about computers and stuff  :blink: , and believe me when I say: the problem is in ESS UI. When the problem occur, the firewall is still doing it's job. We can still switch to Automatic Filtering Mode, and let ESS decide what software should have in or out traffic. And as soon as we switch again to Interactive Mode, the firewall is expecting us to make a choice, but we can't, cause we can not reach these popup windows, and they will continue accumulating (somewhere).

I'm sure all these windows are laying somewhere, waiting to be addressed.

My advice to this problem would be to make some sort of a stock for these popup windows in one of the pages within the main UI, either as a list or thumbs.

It's maybe not in compliance with ESS UI sleek design, but it can be part of some sort of an advanced UI or something.

I'm forced to chime in... (Win7 Pro, 64 Bit; ESS V7.0.302.26)

- installed ESS V7.0.302.26 several months ago and plagued with the dreaded interactive firewall bug from day one!
- here are the symptoms I observed when hit by this bug: 1) delayed notification popups: there are no more notification popups (of any kind - AV-update, PCAP, firewall, HIPS, and (probably) malware alert popups, registry modification popups too) appearing until you restart your PC. 2) you can't imagine my astonishment (day 1, installation day) as Opera V12.16 was the only program that generated a firewall popup... Firewall rules for other programs (day 1 and following) had to be created manually or with the (dangerous) learning mode. Even another firewall rule for Opera V12.16 (with another remote port) a few days later had to be manually created (with similar rule): symptom in this case, no error message, no popup, I have forgotten whether Opera V12.16 was hanging at this point or not. I think, not. 3) (Firefox) You can start as many Firefox instances in this moment as you like, not a single one will ever appear, but they are piling up in task manager (and they can't be killed). (Condition: no firewall rule(s) for Firefox are yet created.)
- fast forward a few months and I found a way to circumvent it, ie. this bug is highly reproducible (and easy too)...

- steps to reproduce this bug:
1. HIPS: interactive, Firewall: interactive (if already using interactive mode and having rules, disable some of them, ie. Firefox, Opera, Chrome); other modules: of no relevance with this bug. (HIPS: respond with ALLOW / YES, no need to create rules.)
2. (optional, but this gives a notification popup about all 10 seconds - therefore recommended) enable PCAP logging, look at the PCAP notification popups showing up for some time, drag the first one popping up to the right upper corner of your screen. Good, notification popups work.
3. now fire up a browser of your choice and see the firewall popups popping up. Drag the first firewall popup to the center of your screen. Now you must create and store a firewall rule for every firewall popup (circumventing the bug), otherwise you are hit by this bug. For example you could create and store a custom firewall rule for 'www.yahoo.com' (TCP, OUT, enable logging, single remote port / address), a second for the next firewall popup, PCAP notification popups should appear. Then, 3rd firewall popup, press DENY, ie. not creating firewall rule, no "remember temporarily". Now all notification popups are piling up and will never appear, until you restart your PC. Then you will see shortly one firewall popup in the upper left corner. That's all, Windows is restarting...
4. If you are "having this bug" (ie. bug is active) fire up Firefox (disable firewall rules for Firefox before doing this, if necessary), it will never appear. Fire up a 2nd, 3rd, 4th instance. Nothing happens, but they are piling up in task manager, try to kill them (in task manager): no chance.
5. If you are "having this bug" (ie. bug is active) fire up a browser where previously you have created a firewall rule (TCP, OUT, logging enabled, remote ports 80 + 443, remote address: (all)). Now browse to a website which uses another port, for example 8080 (you could try 77.59.222.164:8080, a proxy server, gives http error, but that's enough for testing). There will be no firewall popup (for sure) and no error message whatsoever (ie. nothing is happening, but browser works ok, not hanging, except this tab - I think, from my memories)).
6. If you are "having this bug" (ie. bug is active) you are able to trigger (!!!) all piled up "delayed" notification popups (except the outstanding firewall popups): fire up 'cmd.exe' (DOS box) and enter "ping your_gateway_ip", for example something like "ping 192.168.1.1". Immediately after pressing <CR> the hidden notification popups are appearing... ("Twist": this works best, if only one notification popup is hidden. Look at the ping waiting some time until beeing effectively executed, ie. until the appearing popup is disappearing again. Ie. 'ping' is hanging, could even timeout. You can prevent this, if you close the notification popup manually, whereby 'ping' does its work immediately.) (There are a few other triggers, but 'cmd.exe' with 'ping' is by far the easiest and always working.)
7. Do the 'cmd.exe' plus 'ping' thing when bug is not active: HIPS popups are appearing (for 'cmd.exe', for 'svchost.exe'; and as already said: do not create HIPS rule, ALLOW is enough). Do the same when bug is active: no more HIPS popups (but 'ping' is working and piled up hidden notification popups are appearing).
8. Yet another "twist" (happened a few days ago): If you are "having this bug" (ie. bug is active) you can't trigger the "delayed" / hidden notification popups (as described above), if HIPS is in automatic mode. Switch to HIPS interactive mode and do the 'ping' "thing": works.

- bear with me, hopefully everything written is accurate and to the point, directly from my memories...
- now ESET should be really able to hunt down this persistent firewall popup bug, definitely introduced with ESS V7. (Not existing in (V3), V4, V5 and V6 - for sure.)

kind regards

I am glad someone finally showed up to confirm what I was experiencing really was a bug. Like others say, this is a random problem that doesn't happen all the time. It's as random as not appearing for two days, and then suddenly twice within a few hours.

It's horribly frustrating in it's randomness, and the absolutely worst thing about it is it takes quite some time before you realize what's going on, after hopeless attempts to figure out why the hell are various programs not working at all (especially juicy when you are only halfway done with rules for program xyz and then this bug kicks in).

This bug is one of the main reasons why I didn't buy ESS and simply let the trial expire. After learning how long has v7 been out, I realized I made the right decision.

Edited by Octopuss

@ESET: though reading the following may seem lenghty and time consuming, doing it, as specialists, you will be in no time in the hidden firewall popup bug limbo!

Now I have retried two times, both with full success, forcing ESS V7 into the hiding firewall notification popups bug (see my previous posting for full details) and here are the instructions to accomplish this, ie. it's all boiling down to "one browser, one DENY - and bug time":

0. tested setting is: Firefox plus Opera Next. (But it will work with any two programs accessing the internet.)
1. switch HIPS to interactive mode, switch firewall to interactive mode, disable all firewall rules for Firefox and Opera Next (/2nd browser)
2. (recommended) enable PCAP logging (though this seems to "mitigate" the hiding notification popups, after some time all popups will be hidden and piling up). This way you will have at least some hiding popups in a short time (PCAP notifications happen about every 10 seconds), go to Setup : network : advanced personal firewall setup : personal firewall : IDS and advanced options : troubleshooting : enable advanced PCAP logging
3. regarding HIPS: simply press ALLOW button if HIPS popups should appear
4. (important, you will know why if you have to restart your PC) center the firewall popup on your screen before pressing DENY button, move PCAP notification popup to upper right corner of your screen, ie. wait for first PCAP popup to do this
5. (keep ESS V7 GUI closed, but ESS V7 is running of course) fire up Firefox, enter hxxp://www.scrye.com/wordpress/nirik/2014/04/16/java-remote-console-on-drac7-and-fedora/
6. there will be one firewall popup, simply press DENY button (do not create a custom rule, do not enable "temporarily remember")
7. after this you're "in this bug". You could wait for the web page not appearing, but it's better to close Firefox after some 10 seconds.
8. fire up task manager, you should see a first 'firefox.exe' instance...
9. fire up Firefox, which certainly has a new process ID, re-enter the same URL as above. Nothing happens. Close Firefox.
10. fire up task manager, probably you see two instances of Firefox
11. fire up another browser, that has no firewall rules, enter hxxp://planet.postgresql.org/, hopefully there will be no firewall popups. Nothing happens, web page will not appear. Wait some 10 seconds, close browser.
12. fire up task manager, probably you will see this browser instance still being there
13. if you have seen no notification popups for two minutes: trigger (!!!) all piled up "delayed" notification popups (except the outstanding firewall popups) by firing up 'cmd.exe' (DOS box) and enter "ping your_gateway_ip", for example something like "ping 192.168.1.1". Immediately after pressing <CR> the hidden notification popups are appearing...

eventually you have to fiddle around a little bit with this setting, ie. (strange enough) not always closed browser instance will be still visible in task manager, not always will the (PCAP) notification popups be hiding. But after some time there will be not a single notification popup appearing any longer. And, most important, this single DENY was enough to send ESS V7 into the hiding notification popups limbo!

14. don't forget to disable PCAP logging, re-enable disabled firewall rules, close ESS V7
15. restart your PC looking at your screen with high attention, focusing your eyes on the upper left more than on the upper right: you will see in the upper right corner very shortly something happening and in the upper left corner one firewall popup (of your 2nd browser, with hxxp://planet.postgresql.org/ as remote address)...

- @ESET: (probably not that helpful) doing the above gave me the first ESET V7 crash (during restarting my PC) since installing it back in October 2013, the ErrMsg is (german) "egui.exe: Die Anweisung in 0xf2c91609 verweist auf Speicher 0xff..ff. Der Vorgang read konnte nicht im Speicher durchgeführt werden. Klicken Sie auf OK, um das Programm zu beenden."
- three screenshots: two proving the piling up of not fully closing browser instances that can't be killed (task manager, Process Hacker). These are not visible instances and seem to be near full exit, according to Process Hacker. 3rd screenshot showing the successful triggering of all piled up notification popups except the firewall popups.

HTH

post-3617-0-90021500-1397845119_thumb.png

post-3617-0-77524700-1397845135_thumb.png

post-3617-0-30552800-1397845150_thumb.png

• Administrators

I was able to reproduce it per the instructions above. I assume the other users with this issue didn't move the firewall pop-up bubble or enable advanced pcap logging. Could somebody confirm? I'm still trying to figure out if clicking the Deny button causes this behavior or if it's something else. Anyways, now that we have reproduced the issue it should be much easier to figure out the cause and make a fix.

Enabling PCAP logging isn't necessary, I mentioned it only because of the amount of popups this generates, easing the triggering by means of 'cmd.exe'.

Yes, indeed one (firewall popup) DENY button press seems to be all that's needed to land in the hidden firewall popup limbo, that's all what I have done in 3 re-tries: 1st re-try (I had waited too long, thus Firefox was "phoning home" automatically, 4x DENY - and bugged), 2nd re-try (with the mentioned URL, scrye, one DENY - and bugged), 3rd re-try (2x DENY, 1st = scrye web page, 2nd = Firefox "phoning home", and bugged; then trying to force the hidden firewall popups to visibility with Process Hacker, see here (thanks, Nizrax000!), https://forum.eset.com/topic/2278-getting-fed-up-with-firewall/#entry13142, (unfortunately not that successful) - and bugged. Curiously 4 not exiting Firefox instances is all I can produce, with Opera Next it's just one. Ie. 5th / 2nd fail to show the URL, but are closing fully.

It would be interesting to see what happens if a "malware found" notification popup should appear and one is "in the bug". (Presumably 'cmd.exe' triggering will show it.)

Yes, it would be very nice if an experienced forum member could give it a try, it's nothing dangerous and can be done fast (5 - 10 minutes): you can leave out the PCAPS logging and enabling HIPS.

After unsuccessful fiddling with flags (visible, enable, always to top, bring to front) in Process Hacker I had to restart my PC, the appearing firewall popup remained centered and 2nd crash of ESS V7 (both thanks to Process Hacker fiddling, I think). Thus I aborted the restart and could make a screenshot (3rd re-try, today), but firewall popup was unresponding which is clear, 'egui.exe' had crashed, after pressing ok, Win7 chimed in and suggested restart of 'egui.exe', which I did, but ESS V7 not showing up in systray, task manager showed that nearly all programs and services were closed already, and no 'egui.exe' at all:

post-3617-0-37479500-1397929092_thumb.png

post-3617-0-24278900-1397929110_thumb.png

Edited by mma64

Oh my god, I am also experiencing this issue and have spent hours trying to figure out why random applications are not working properly, why I cannot kill some processes, etc. ESET, I've used your product for a few years now and found it to be great, but this is insane frustrating and needs to be fixed immediately. It's driving me crazy!

Don't despair, I'm a long time ESS user too and had some hard starting weeks with ESS V7, until I figured out what's going on: Opera being the only program that generated the well known firewall popup; every day, when shutting down my PC, strange firewall popup in the upper left corner of the screen, 'svchost.exe' ("why is MS$$$ phoning home now even on shutdown?!!"); seemingly "delayed" notification popups appearing out of nowhere (especially the AV-update notification popups, hours after the update); other programs where firewall rules had to be created manually; even using the learning mode (control these rules, with me they gave full access on all ports and addresses always, not what I expected); suddenly Opera with no firewall popup at all (new remote port, let's say 8080) ("but this worked before!!!"); then firewall popups appearing as they should; then Teamviewer with a new remote address (firewall popup appearing, but intermixed with a 'svchost.exe' one, where presumably I pressed just the DENY button - therefore hidden firewall popup hell, Teamviewer "locked" and once again PC restart time)...

... and how to prevent it happening easily: you must create a custom firewall rule for every firewall popup appearing, there you can decide whether you wan't to deny or allow it, whether you want to add more remote ports / addresses and the like, whether to enable logging or not. Never press just the DENY button (and the ALLOW button - just to be on the safe side). (I'm doing exactly this since a long time and never had the hidden firewall popups limbo again!)

After having nailed down all this to be an easily reproducible bug (see my previous postings), I'm more than sure that ESET can hunt it down now. (But bear with them, finding a bug (root cause, in the source code) can be time consuming.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I've tested the latest build on my home computer where I was previously able to reproduce the issue but I haven't encountered it since. If somebody is willing to try out the new build of ESS, feel free to drop me a pm.

After having nailed down all this to be an easily reproducible bug (see my previous postings), I'm more than sure that ESET can hunt it down now. (But bear with them, finding a bug (root cause, in the source code) can be time consuming.)

First , thanks for your support and for helping ESET out.

Most development environments will allow you to step through code. ie 1 line, 2 line, and so forth watching what happens.

They should find it faster than you think.

Sounds like Marcos is already using a fixed copy. :)  Awesome

• ESET Insiders

...Sounds like Marcos is already using a fixed copy. :)  Awesome

I got a copy also and am testing it and it seems to work fine.