Firewall suggestions

Can you make the following improvements on your firewall:

1. provide the option to sort the rules by column

2. provide the option to add a date and time when a rule is created

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, arsini said:

No since the priority of rules is determined by the order.

2. provide the option to add a date and time when a rule is created

Possibly. It's been on the wish list together with some similar improvements.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, arsini said:

You can just add another column for the priority number of each rule. You can then sort the rules without affecting the priority.

This is what i suggested basically having a way that the rules can be organised without effecting the prority

7 hours ago, peteyt said:

This is what i suggested basically having a way that the rules can be organised without effecting the prority

I don't think that they are giving enough resources in improving the firewall. After several versions of Internet Security, the firewall has remained unchanged. The Windows Defender Firewall is already better. There, the rules can be sorted. If only I could figure out how to make it notify me whenever an app tries to connect to the Internet..

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, arsini said:

I don't think that they are giving enough resources in improving the firewall. After several versions of Internet Security, the firewall has remained unchanged. The Windows Defender Firewall is already better. There, the rules can be sorted. If only I could figure out how to make it notify me whenever an app tries to connect to the Internet..

The rules in a version years ago could be organised but after they changed it to the order also was the priority this feature was removed.

This wouldnt be as bad if it wasnt for the fact there is text before the rule name so by default its hard to see what the name is. They really should remove the extra text and have icons representing the apps

• Most Valued Members

I see this has its own forum now.

What id like to see is basically what i mentioned above. Even if you cannot arange the rules by name the design of the rule area should be designed better still

14 hours ago, arsini said:

After several versions of Internet Security, the firewall has remained unchanged.

The only recent major change to the Eset firewall has been the ability to create rules for specific Win services in regards to svchost.exe. And based on my testing, they don't always work right.

5 hours ago, peteyt said:

The Windows Defender Firewall is already better.

You've got to be kidding. The rules are stored in clear text in the registry making hacking them a trival exercise.

To begin with, Windows Defender does not have an integrated firewall. It uses the built-in Windows firewall.

The only thing provided in Win 10 is that app developers have the ability to auto update Win firewall rules on the fly. Diito for Win Store and internal apps that are also dynamically updated.

Edited by itman

15 hours ago, arsini said:

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but It doesn't seem like you put much thought before making your comment

Edited by URBAN0

On 9/26/2019 at 6:34 AM, arsini said:

I don't see that as an unfair request. The addition of a column "Priority" would alleviate the issue. It would be sane from a UX perspective to allow clicking the headings to sort by Name, Enabled, Protocol, Profile, etc. with the addition of a new column, Priority. The headings even highlight when you mouseover, and UX principles tell the user that they should click to sort, but it doesn't... so it just seems broken.

PS - ESET should change the forum Rank names. As far as I'm concerned, it appears as though @arsini was just trolled by an ESET Trainee 🤣 

For what it is worth, Eset's GUI lost a lot of user features with the switch to the Win Metro interface in ver. 9. Prior to that, you could not only sort firewall rules but also HIPS ones.

I am not a GUI designer but it appears the Metro interface comes with a lot of restrictions or at least makes it difficult to do stuff being discussed. So I wouldn't hold my breath on any new expansive features such as rule sorting being implemented.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, itman said:

You've got to be kidding. The rules are stored in clear text in the registry making hacking them a trival exercise.

To begin with, Windows Defender does not have an integrated firewall. It uses the built-in Windows firewall.

The only thing provided in Win 10 is that app developers have the ability to auto update Win firewall rules on the fly. Diito for Win Store and internal apps that are also dynamically updated.

Not sure if that was an error ha but thought id add that i never made that comment in regards to windows firewall.

As i mentioned and have mentioned previously as shown by the image bellow by default you cannot see the app name because "allow communication for" is shown even though there is an action area.

a3.jpg.2eebc33415164dea7560f681dcf4bb02.

Also as seen bellow previous versions had icons to help see rules

a1.jpg.75c5fd2b8a06cf5c9603265cce5d4d48.

As you said this seems to have happened when they changed to the metro design. Wonder if there was a way to show the app names with icons with the metro style design

Have you guys found a better alternative to ESET's firewall? I have tried some of the most popular firewalls for a few days but I always find myself going back to ESET's flawed product.

3 hours ago, arsini said:

Have you guys found a better alternative to ESET's firewall?

No because virtually all third party firewalls are part of integrated AV security suites these days. The only full-featured stand-alone firewall actively supported is Comodo's. The rest are old Win 7 versions with kludges applied to get them to function on later OS versions.

• Most Valued Members
6 hours ago, itman said:

No because virtually all third party firewalls are part of integrated AV security suites these days. The only full-featured stand-alone firewall actively supported is Comodo's. The rest are old Win 7 versions with kludges applied to get them to function on later OS versions.

Does ZoneLabs not still offer just a firewall? I used to use it years back but it would often block the internet randomly

• Most Valued Members
On 9/27/2019 at 10:09 PM, peteyt said:

Not sure if that was an error ha but thought id add that i never made that comment in regards to windows firewall.

As i mentioned and have mentioned previously as shown by the image bellow by default you cannot see the app name because "allow communication for" is shown even though there is an action area.

a3.jpg.2eebc33415164dea7560f681dcf4bb02.

Also as seen bellow previous versions had icons to help see rules

As you said this seems to have happened when they changed to the metro design. Wonder if there was a way to show the app names with icons with the metro style design

@Marcos would there not be a way to simply remove the text in the first screenshot?

It wouldnt allow the rules to be organised by name like people have asked but at least people would be able to see the filename.

I gather its probably not just a simple quick fix but In my opinion it makee no sense to have the text as the name when there is already an area telling you if the rule is an allow or block rule and if anything just causes more issues that could be avoided

4 hours ago, itman said:

Yes. Forgot about it: https://www.zonealarm.com/software/free-firewall . However, only advanced features offered in the paid Pro version.

I have tried both the Comodo and Zone Alarm for a few days. I was not sold. I did not find the features that I was looking for in those apps. I still came back to ESET.

• Most Valued Members
8 hours ago, arsini said:

I have tried both the Comodo and Zone Alarm for a few days. I was not sold. I did not find the features that I was looking for in those apps. I still came back to ESET.

I never tried that , but lot of people are talking about this firewall : https://www.glasswire.com/

I am not recommending it not because it's bad because I haven't tried it , but take a look.

32 minutes ago, Rami said:

I never tried that , but lot of people are talking about this firewall : https://www.glasswire.com/

I am not recommending it not because it's bad because I haven't tried it , but take a look.

I have tried that too. I think it has too many features that I don't need and at $40 per year for only using the Windows Firewall API, it's a rip-off.

• Most Valued Members

I have tried that too. I think it has too many features that I don't need and at $40 per year for only using the Windows Firewall API, it's a rip-off.

Indeed it does sit on Windows Firewall and show you real time graphs and some other things , I don't know I have never tested it , and never had a trouble with ESET Firewall , It's good for me.

@ Pete : you can rename rules and change column size.

noprob.png.285a36d881cad092092cc69fb2fd0704.png

I think that EIS firewall UI is perfect as it is, clear, simple and fast. Add sorting by name and date can cause only confusion and problems when using the arrows for assign priority, which is essential to allow/block only some domains for an application or a set of applications.

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, Enrico said:

@ Pete : you can rename rules and change column size.

noprob.png.285a36d881cad092092cc69fb2fd0704.png

I think that EIS firewall UI is perfect as it is, clear, simple and fast. Add sorting by name and date can cause only confusion and problems when using the arrows for assign priority, which is essential to allow/block only some domains for an application or a set of applications. 

But I presume you have to rename each manually? My point is by default in your image Deny communication for TebisStarter.exe would be far much easier to read if the name was TebisStarter.exe without all that stuff . As I have mentioned by default you cannot read it because the column is far too small. 

If you look in this screenshot bellow it is far easier to see what rule is what because of 2 reasons - firstly they just have the application name but also there is the icons that represent them. I do not mind the metro style they use now but if they could add some of the stuff missing from the previous version it would make rule maintenance far easier. I can live without the organising by name but I think there is a way around this to by having a priority extra column however I just find it much easier to find things even when not organised by name in the previous version due to the two reasons mentioned below which are easy to see in the screenshot

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Rami said:

I have heard of it and there is a free version but gather its probably limited

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 11:22 PM, arsini said:

If only I could figure out how to make it notify me whenever an app tries to connect to the Internet..

Switch Eset Firewall to Interactive Mode.

As to making any updates or adding new features, I've an impression they decided to cut dev positions and projects in Firewall department, so the only thing I see Marcos posting is "we are not aware of any issues with Eset Firewall" - period. When you report bugs, they refuse to document them to support that answer. Existing documented bugs are not fixed for several years and counting - people pointed to it over and over on this forum, while Markos kept repeating "we are not aware" right in the same thread, as if he is unable to read previous posts.