Dashlane extension probably blocked by ESET — unclear how to allow it

Hi, I purchased a password manager which has a chrome extension that is required for its functionality. Sometimes it just turns gray and I have to close and reopen chrome to fix it. On their support website they explain this is normally due to firewall or antivirus software. I only use Eset as my firewall but even after trying to set it up to allow dashlane it happens.

I might be doing the setup wrong — the ESET firewall rules are hard to penetrate without deeper study. What can a user do to try to make this work? I remember in the past that I stopped using ESET altogether precisely because many apps misbehaved and it was not clear why and turning off firewall altogether used to help. But that defeats the purpose of a firewall.

• Administrators

It is quite unlikely that the firewall would prevent a browser extension from working. In automatic mode, the firewall allows all outbound communication and blocks non-initiated inbound communication. You could try temporarily uninstalling ESET to see if it makes a difference but I assume it won't. This way you either rule out ESET completely or we'll have to narrow it down further.

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

It is quite unlikely that the firewall would prevent a browser extension from working. In automatic mode, the firewall allows all outbound communication and blocks non-initiated inbound communication. You could try temporarily uninstalling ESET to see if it makes a difference but I assume it won't. This way you either rule out ESET completely or we'll have to narrow it down further.

Thanks for the answer, but clearly, from their article it appears this can be the case. Probably because it communicates with a desktop software? They give instructions on how to allow the communication in Kaspersky, but give only limited information on how to do it in other firewall software. 

This is their particular advice:

Like firewalls and proxies, an anti-virus software are often the cause of connection problems with the Dashlane extension in your browser.

If you find an anti-virus software is creating compatibility issues with Dashlane, all you should need to do is configure it with a few rules:

• You need to allow Dashlane.exe, DashlanePlugin.exe and your web browsers to connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1.
  • You need to allow communication on ports 11456, 15674, 17896, 21953 and 32934. If needed, you can allow all ports but it is preferable to limit to these specific ones.
  • Add '%appdata%\Dashlane\DashlanePlugin.exe' to the exceptions list
  • It’s often best to reboot to ensure the settings take effect.

• Administrators

The firewall allows internal communication on localhost by default. There's a built-in rule for that which is hidden by default so it's unlikely that you would have it disabled. Does pausing the firewall make a difference? If not, then the issue should not be caused by the fw.