Notifications have disappeared?

Has anyone been experiencing this issue or not. I'm using EIS v12.2.23.0 here and Windows 10 and I've come to notice that I don't get a notification message or sound beep from ESET anymore when modules are updated or when website URL's have been blocked for security reasons on certain websites. I have not made any changes to the advanced setup or disabled any notifications. 

I even went as far as hitting the 'DEFAULT' button in advanced setup and ESET pop-up message said this will revert all settings to default, this action cannot be undone just to make sure I didn't un-check anything, so I restored to default and rebooted Windows and same thing. No notifications or sound notifications on updates or web page blocking. I purposely have been testing a websites that should show notification messages about being blocked and nothing is coming up by the action center on the bottom right as it should. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue of no notifications from EIS? This is on my main rig that I have not updated to v12.2.29 because of the bugs. I have left it at previous version but have noticed I am not seeing messages anymore. Suggestions?

Thank you.

41 minutes ago, heyyahblah said:

I checked my interface and do not see those settings. 

When you click on the Notifications settings under Tools, Eset should display the screen @Marcos posted. From your screen shot, it appears that setting is missing. Suggest you either do an Eset repair install if that option still exists for 12.2.23 or uninstall/reinstall 12.2.23. Make sure you export your Eset settings prior to uninstalling if you have made custom changes to the Eset GUI settings. You can then import those settings after 12.2.23 is reinstalled.

Edited by itman

22 minutes ago, itman said:

When you click on the Notifications settings under Tools, Eset should display the screen @Marcos posted. From your screen shot, it appears that setting is missing. Suggest you either do an Eset repair install if that option still exists for 12.2.23 or uninstall/reinstall 12.2.23. Make sure you export your Eset settings prior to uninstalling if you have made custom changes to the Eset GUI settings. You can then import those settings after 12.2.23 is reinstalled.

Which version of ESET are you using and what operating system? Is your advanced setup screen the same as the one @Marcos posted or is it like mine?

I am using 12.2.29. But there should be no change in regards to that section from 12.2.23.

Also your screen shot shows "Email notifications." In that slot should be "Notifications." So it appears to me there is something not right with your Eset GUI setup. Click on Email notifications and see if that brings up the screen @Marcos posted.

39 minutes ago, itman said:

I am using 12.2.29. But there should be no change in regards to that section from 12.2.23.

Also your screen shot shows "Email notifications." In that slot should be "Notifications." So it appears to me there is something not right with your Eset GUI setup. Click on Email notifications and see if that brings up the screen @Marcos posted.

I checked everywhere and I don't have the Notifications menu like you do for whatever reason. It doesn't come up anywhere at all .... wth is going on? How would I lose the Notifications menu and only have it show email notifications. 

wtf.png

3 hours ago, heyyahblah said:

How would I lose the Notifications menu and only have it show email notifications. 

I had the same problem as you, and I think it got borked during an in program version upgrade.

So I'm gonna guess you did an in program version upgrade.

I never noticed it until I was reading a post about someones problem with 'Desktop Notifications', and when I looked at my setup trying to find 'Desktop Notifications' it wasn't there, just 'Email notifications' just like yours.

Fix-Do a clean install and all was good again.

Edited by Swamp Yankee

1 hour ago, Swamp Yankee said:

I had the same problem as you, and I think it got borked during an in program version upgrade.

So I'm gonna guess you did an in program version upgrade.

I never noticed it until I was reading a post about someones problem with 'Desktop Notifications', and when I looked at my setup trying to find 'Desktop Notifications' it wasn't there, just 'Email notifications' just like yours.

Fix-Do a clean install and all was good again.

Oh wow. Yea I only update ESET when I get a notification that a new version is available then I click update and it asks me to restart and I restart and I figure all is well. I haven't re-installed ESET ever because I've had no reason to on my main PC. Oh wow, so the only solution is a clean install? Ugh. Is v12.2.23.0 still available? I don't want to upgrade to the latest version, as its buggy right now. 

Thanks for letting me know you had similar problem, is that how you fixed it clean install only? Can you still export/import settings or no? I wish there was an easier way ... 

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

Please post information about installed modules (e.g. Update -> Show all modules).

Here is the information you requested @Marcos

Detection Engine: 20075 (20190925)
Rapid Response module: 14957 (20190925)
Update module: 1018.1 (20190709)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1555 (20190911)
Advanced heuristics module: 1193 (20190626)
Archive support module: 1292 (20190911)
Cleaner module: 1200 (20190916)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1154 (20190614)
Firewall module: 1390 (20190712)
ESET SysInspector module: 1275 (20181220)
Translation support module: 1755.2 (20190913)
HIPS support module: 1371 (20190906)
Internet protection module: 1376 (20190806)
Web content filter module: 1071 (20190605)
Advanced antispam module: 7820.1 (20190910)
Database module: 1110 (20190827)
Configuration module (33): 1777 (20190613)
LiveGrid communication module: 1053 (20190321)
Specialized cleaner module: 1013 (20190627)
Banking & payment protection module: 1158 (20190905)
Rootkit detection and cleaning module: 1019 (20170825)
Network protection module: 1680 (20190403)
Router vulnerability scanner module: 1063 (20190724)
Script scanner module: 1054 (20190905)
Connected Home Network module: 1031.1 (20190621)
Cryptographic protocol support module: 1040 (20190913)
Databases for advanced antispam module: 3526 (20190925)
Deep behavioral inspection support module: 1079 (20190614)

modules.png

• Administrators

Please provide me with logs collected with ESET Log Collector. Prior to collecting logs, select "All" from the template drop-down menu in ELC.

6 hours ago, heyyahblah said:

Can you still export/import settings or no?

I was going to post this might be a way to fix the issue. However, you would have to import settings from a prior export where the Eset GUI was properly configured. And of course, you will lose any GUI changes such as new rules created and the like that occurred subsequent to when the export was performed.

• ESET Staff
18 hours ago, heyyahblah said:

I'm using EIS v12.2.23.0 here and Windows 10 and I've come to notice that I don't get a notification message ... when website URL's have been blocked for security reasons on certain websites.

The notifications are not shown anymore, if our blocking web page is shown directly in a web browser.
Those notifications are redundant in such cases. It involves anti-phishing and PUA protection, to name a few cases.

@heyyahblah Here is the thread from July that I read and then commented in about this problem, and then after reading the comment by @itman about in program Version upgrades (ie V11 to V12) possibly being a problem, I just did a clean install, then went thru and reconfigured everything how I wanted it.  It's good to do that once in awhile, you relearn your software. It's also good to save the old version installers some wheres since ESET does not.

1 hour ago, Posolsvetla said:

The notifications are not shown anymore, if our blocking web page is shown directly in a web browser.
Those notifications are redundant in such cases.

The alerts still show in ver. 12.2.29. The only difference from prior Eset versions is they are now full screen alerts.

Using the wicar.org coin miner test, Eset will first throw a PUA alert. When one selects "Disconnect," the below screen shot alert is displayed:

Eset_Alert.thumb.png.82ed737db2965eb7bcbecbc0afa95d9e.png

11 hours ago, itman said:

I was going to post this might be a way to fix the issue. However, you would have to import settings from a prior export where the Eset GUI was properly configured. And of course, you will lose any GUI changes such as new rules created and the like that occurred subsequent to when the export was performed.

OK, I understand. Since the program seems to be borked like @Swamp Yankee mentioned to me then I guess I will just take screenshots of my settings, and make sure I have my key ready and uninstall ESET and then re-install ESET from a fresh install and configure it then and hopefully it will work and go back to normal. Probably something got messed up with the in product updates and I never realized it.  Thanks for the info. 

7 hours ago, Posolsvetla said:

Those notifications are redundant in such cases. It involves anti-phishing and PUA protection, to name a few cases.

OK, thank you for that information. I wasn't sure about that either. I guess my install is botched and I probably will have to uninstall and reinstall ESET to fix the problems I am having. 

8 hours ago, Swamp Yankee said:

@heyyahblah Here is the thread from July that I read and then commented in about this problem, and then after reading the comment by @itman about in program Version upgrades (ie V11 to V12) possibly being a problem, I just did a clean install, then went thru and reconfigured everything how I wanted it.  It's good to do that once in awhile, you relearn your software. It's also good to save the old version installers some wheres since ESET does not.

Hey man, thank you for taking the time out and directing me to links to the other threads about this. I guess regarding what you said and what @itman posted this looks like my only way out.

I guess I have no other option and I will just run the un-installer of ESET and remove it from my computer. Then I'm guessing a reset and visit the website and do a fresh install and just configure everything from there again from scratch and it will solve the problem? That is what worked for you?

Thanks for the info about ESET not saving old installers. Since v12.2.29.0 is buggy and I don't have v12.2.23.0 saved anywhere I guess I will wait for a fixed update release? I'm guessing ESET is pushing a new version soon since so many people have posted issues with WNC and Windows 10 that they will be releasing an updated version soon. I'd rather fresh install from that version, I'll also be away from my main PC for a few days so hopefully I will be able to do something when I'm back and a new version will be out hopefully soon. 

Thanks for the information on this and will keep you guys posted in this thread. Thanks for everyone that came out for the help. Appreciate it.   

16 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please provide me with logs collected with ESET Log Collector. Prior to collecting logs, select "All" from the template drop-down menu in ESET Log Collector.

@Marcos From what everyone is telling me on this thread, it looks like my install is broken and I have to uninstall ESET and then reboot and reinstall fresh copy and reconfigure everything from scratch.

Also I will be away from my main PC for a few days so hopefully I will be able to do something when I'm back and a new version of ESET will be out hopefully soon. 

Do you still want me to save files and send logs via ESET Log Collector when I get back, it seems I need to download ESET software form website to collect the logs, is this still important? Or should I just uninstall ESET and try to reinstall FRESH copy and see what happens? Or are log files important to you? What would be better? I would have to send an update when I get back after a few days.

Thank You. 

• Administrators

It'd be good to get the logs and analyze them first. Make sure that you collect them with "All" profile selected in ELC.

Also please enclose the file C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\versions.csv which is not collected by ELC.

There's a chance that it could be fixed by editing a particular value in the registry.

On 9/26/2019 at 3:41 AM, Marcos said:

It'd be good to get the logs and analyze them first. Make sure that you collect them with "All" profile selected in ESET Log Collector.

Also please enclose the file C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Security\versions.csv which is not collected by ESET Log Collector.

There's a chance that it could be fixed by editing a particular value in the registry.

Hello @Marcos sorry for my late reply, but had a computer problem.

I won't be able to send the logs unfortunately. 😪 My boot-drive SSD died before I had a chance to collect any information so I had to send the drive in for R.M.A. I will have to re-install everything from scratch when I get my drive back so I will be redoing everything from fresh Windows. 

When my drive comes back I will install ESET again and see what happens. 

Thank you all for the help.