I have windows backup failed because lock on EFI partition.

Olo

Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation.

I have to stop real time protection and than run windows backup manually and it worked.

What kind of settings I should setup in ESET File security to prevent Windows backup fail ?

• Administrators

The issue will be addressed in Endpoint 7.2 which should be available later this year. Not sure if EFSW will be available as well or later in Q1/2020. Does excluding the process that performs backup help?

• 1 month later...

Just found the solution - in ESET Exclude the following files from the real-time scanning
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
    \Device\HarddiskVolume3\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD.LOG

The number just after "HarddiskVolume" varies by environments.
To find it, execute bcdedit.exe from command prompt with administrator privilege.

• 11 months later...

I'm currently running  version 7.3.2041.0 of the client and after having followed TekResults' suggestion i'm still only able to perform a backup operation after having disable eset's shield.

In my case de bcdedit.exe gave me the result: device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2, which i promptly added in exclusions, along with the file path to c:\windows\system32\wbadmin.exe to no avail.

How could i get further support?

• Administrators
42 minutes ago, Josenuno said:

I'm currently running  version 7.3.2041.0 of the client and after having followed TekResults' suggestion i'm still only able to perform a backup operation after having disable eset's shield.

Is that on  a Windows 10 client? If on a server, you should uninstall Endpoint 7.3 and install EFSW 7.2.