ESET Agent not using the right NIC

• Most Valued Members

I've noticed with ESET Agent, it takes the first NIC's IP it finds without checking with the configuration.  With multi-nic systems, this is a bit of a pain since on the ESMC system list, it'd show other network IPs.

Shouldn't the Agent report to the ESMC the same IP in the network as the ESMC server?

For instance, as shown in the attached screenshot, 

The first item is the ESMC server (so in the 192.168.8.0 network), the 2nd one is my system (it's chosen the NPCAP interface), the third is another system that has two nics, and finally the last one is another system in the same 192.168.8.0 network.  

Have I screwed up the AGent deployment (via GPO) setting?

Any clarifications appreciated.

Thanks.

:ewong

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by ewong
added "Thanks" to the end of the post.

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately AGENT is currently not reporting NIC that is actually used for connection to ESMC -> it reports list of all interfaces with list of all assigned IP addresses. What you see in main client's view in console is selected IP address that is considered as the one with highest priority. In most cases it means it is IP address of NIC that has highest priority on client machine. In case of multiple IP addresses assigned to this NIC, it should be primary IP address of it.

• Most Valued Members
On 9/13/2019 at 2:50 AM, MartinK said:

Unfortunately AGENT is currently not reporting NIC that is actually used for connection to ESMC -> it reports list of all interfaces with list of all assigned IP addresses. What you see in main client's view in console is selected IP address that is considered as the one with highest priority. In most cases it means it is IP address of NIC that has highest priority on client machine. In case of multiple IP addresses assigned to this NIC, it should be primary IP address of it.

Thanks for the explanation.  Is it possible to get the agent to compare the IP of the nic with the IP of the ESMC server so that it can use the same network IP?   (Just asking..)

It's strange and a bit scary (had I not asked here) that there could be a chance that agents can scan other connected networks.

Edmund