PuterCare

ESMC Agent install fails "The system cannot find the file specified"

I have had this issue with 2 endpoints since yesterday, each used a different Agent as they are different clients and the same agent worked fine on multiple other systems at each client. When running the bat file on some Windows boxes as admin, the CMD box opens saying installing then Windows Script Host pops up (image attached). It says the issue was line 184 of uacinstall.vbs, code 80070002.

Any ideas how to resolve?

Thanks

ESMC_problem.PNG

Please provide a Procmon log from the time when the batch Live installer is run. Looks like the vbs file could not be created in the temporary folder probably due to insufficient permissions or some security measures preventing vbs and other files potentially carrying malware in the system temp folder.

The file C:\Users\Jamie Jarvis\AppData\Local\Temp\uacinstall.vbs was dropped and wscript.exe read it successfully.

Couldn't it be a policy or another 3rd party software that would block execution of VBS scripts from temporary folders?
If you put your own vbs script in that folder, are you able execute it?

It is a standalone workgroup computer with no policies in place, I don't think there is any software on there that would block (unless it is Windows doing it). I will see if I can find a script that I can put in there and try to run. 

You can try creating a simple test file test.vbs with the following code inside:
wscript.echo "Hello"

I did as you suggested and the test vbs ran fine from temp, I then copied all of the Eset files from %temp% to a new folder on C:\ and ran the vbs from an elevated CMD and the same issue occurred. Any other ideas?

Thanks

Edited by PuterCare

I now have 4 different systems with this same issue, all from different offices, not domain connected and no policies applied. All other systems in all 4 offices work fine. Any idea on the cause or what more I can do to try and fix? Thanks

If I understand it correctly, you're unable to run uacinstall.vbs neither from the temp folder nor any other folder but if you give a VBS script a different name, it can run. Correct?

On 9/20/2019 at 11:57 PM, Marcos said:

If I understand it correctly, you're unable to run uacinstall.vbs neither from the temp folder nor any other folder but if you give a VBS script a different name, it can run. Correct?

Yes that’s right. I think the uacinstall.vbs script runs but it then fails as per the screenshot on my original post. It is the same error on all 4 systems. Other scripts run fine so it doesn’t seem to be the computers blocking scripts from running, it seems to be something specific to the uacinstall script. I opened in notepad++ and checked line 184 but nothing obvious there to cause a problem, but this is outside of my skill set so might be missing something.