Is it possible to cancel a downloaded and reported upgrade?

Eset reports that it needs a system restart for the update to 12.2.28.

Is it possible to cancel the upgrade? I can't restart the system for the next weeks anyway and maybe there will be a corrected version.

• Administrators

If you clicked the button to download and install update, it's not possible to revert it. Calling a program update is possible only during download.

I didn't click anything. The upgrade was downloaded in the background. But it certainly doesn't make any difference.

If there was a newer version before the reboot (e.g. 12.2.30), would the upgrade files be replaced from 12.2.28 to 12.2.30 before the reboot so that 12.2.28 would be skipped?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 100 said:

I didn't click anything. The upgrade was downloaded in the background. But it certainly doesn't make any difference.

If there was a newer version before the reboot (e.g. 12.2.30), would the upgrade files be replaced from 12.2.28 to 12.2.30 before the reboot so that 12.2.28 would be skipped?

The program update to v12.2.28 was not installed automatically for those who update from the regular update channel. Only running manual update would display a button allowing to update the program to v.12.2.28.

If the program is waiting for a computer restart, it shouldn't update to a newer version unless update to v12.2.28 has completed first and the computer has been restarted in order for new drivers to load.

Because of this:

I'm on the test update channel.

The upgrade files are in this folder:

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Updates

For versions higher than 12.2.28, the upgrade mechanism could simply replace these files as long as no reboot to install 12.2.28 has been done.

Would it not be possible to boot into Windows SafeMode and delete the folder "Update" to prevent the upgrade?

• Administrators

The question is why you would do that. I thought that you couldn't afford rebooting the machine for a while and that's why you wanted to avoid the program update. If the program has downloaded a program update, it installs it automatically and then displays a message to restart the computer.

Running the uninstall tool in safe mode should not be necessary and uninstallation in the normal mode should work.

Yes, I can't restart for a few weeks but Eset can still be used during this time and won't restart the computer by itself.

It's just a general question if Eset revokes an upgrade due to problems and releases a new upgrade.

I saw a message from you in the forum before, that 12.2.28 has been released. But since someone reported problems with 12.2.28, your post has disappeared.

Edited by 100

• Administrators

There will be a newer version, probably v12.2.28.1 with a workaround for a bug in Windows that causes annoying notifications (discussed at https://forum.eset.com/topic/20736-error-message-from-windows-at-version-122280/). Those with v12.2.28.0 installed will be updated to it automatically.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

Those with v12.2.28.0 installed will be updated to it automatically.

So a reboot in a few weeks will definitely first install the 12.2.28.0 which is waiting for a reboot?

• Administrators

After a reboot a newer version will install. Since drivers will remain uncahnged, another reboot should not be required. If the system is already waiting for a reboot after a program update, you shouldn't postpone it for too long since old drivers with the new version may not play nicely together and may cause the system go haywire in extreme cases.

The calculations are expected to run for at least 6 weeks. Hopefully this will go well. 😟
In the future I will deactivate program updates before.

Edit: What will happen if I deactivate the program updates now and then switch back to the regular update channel?

Edited by 100

• Administrators
1 hour ago, 100 said:

The calculations are expected to run for at least 6 weeks. Hopefully this will go well. 😟
In the future I will deactivate program updates before.

Edit: What will happen if I deactivate the program updates now and then switch back to the regular update channel?

A developer has come across this topic and corrected me. The upgrade is in fact performed after a reboot so you can stay with the current version without a reboot as long as needed. If a newer version is released in the mean time, an upgrade to it will be performed after a reboot.

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

The upgrade is in fact performed after a reboot so you can stay with the current version without a reboot as long as needed. If a newer version is released in the mean time, an upgrade to it will be performed after a reboot.

Thank yo very much, Marcos.

This is the behavior of the program I expected before.

On 9/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, Marcos said:

If a newer version is released in the mean time, an upgrade to it will be performed after a reboot.

Eset has now informed me that version 12.2.29 is ready to install.

The folder C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\Updates now contains both upgrade files (118 upcu files for the 12.2.28 and 118 upcu files for the 12.2.29 and the xml file). However, the xml file only refers to the new upcu files for the 12.2.29. The others will probably simply be deleted during the installation. :-)

Edited by 100