utun interfaces detected randomly

Hello All,

After the recent MacOS update and ESET Cyber Security Pro update (I upgraded both on the same day), I am getting notifications from eset that it has detected a new network connection; utun1 interface. I then get a notification "Waiting for DHCP Response" with a 60 second timer. I don't use any VPN software; it's a MacBook Air 2014. Any idea what might be causing this sudden change in behavior? I was able to find this link from Apple: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8456250

Any help or insight into this is appreciated. I have since upgraded another MacBook Air with ESET CSP and it is now exhibiting the same behavior. I have not been able to test on a completely different network. Thank you in advance!

Hi, experiencing the same behaviour on an iMac on a home network, I am not using VPN, have set this network as "Public" not sure what to do with it. Eset CSP 6.7.900.0 and Mac OS 10.14.6. Is this a normal / regular Apple activity as I never saw that before???

I also have been having this problem. When I log in the same message appears. One thing I did that seemed to help was to also activating the apple firewall even though eset does not seem to recommend this. It really freaked me out. Could this mean someone has placed a private network on my computer without my knowing it? It doesn't seem so if others with eset have been having the same problem but it makes me very concerned:(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, well I must say NO, total silence. In the mean time, I have changed my firewall, and the problem has disappeared, further I have changed my anti virus software on one of the apple and the new one detected immediately a trojan that was missed by Cybersecurity Pro. I am using reset since I don't know how many years, 20 odd years even when they were windows only. I still have my sub paid until the end of 20 but I am disappointed and will not renewed. Seems the service and efficiency went down the drain

• Most Valued Members
5 minutes ago, johnosheridan said:

Hi, well I must say NO, total silence. In the mean time, I have changed my firewall, and the problem has disappeared, further I have changed my anti virus software on one of the apple and the new one detected immediately a trojan that was missed by Cybersecurity Pro. I am using reset since I don't know how many years, 20 odd years even when they were windows only. I still have my sub paid until the end of 20 but I am disappointed and will not renewed. Seems the service and efficiency went down the drain

Best advice is to email support as there is a better chance of tickets being replied to

Same problem here. First it detected utun1, then utun2. Both times I chose home network and it timed out. The only solution was to check "remember for this network" (...or something like that) so it didn't bug me again.

Anyone care to explain what's up with this?

ESET CSP 6.8.1.0

MacOS Catalina 10.15

• 2 weeks later...

I found this post:

https://superuser.com/questions/914685/what-is-creating-the-utun0-network-interface-on-osx-what-is-for-what-is-it-exa

it seems the utun network is used for 'Back-to-my Mac'