Interactive Firewall Pop-up Gone Before I Can Click On It

Hello, and good day to all.

Within the last couple of weeks, the pop-ups that appear when the Firewall is operating in Interactive Mode and prompting to dis/allow a particular network connection stay on screen for not even a second, disappearing too quickly for me to be able to click on it.  So then, the firewall blocks the requested connection.

I am not aware of any settings I have changed that would explain this action, as prior to about two weeks ago, this was not an issue.

Is there a setting that can be adjusted to allow the pop-up to stay on-screen for a longer period of time?  Or is it not within my control?

Note that I am using eset Internet Security 12.2.23.0 on Windows 7 (64-bit).

Thank you!

Edited by 819b6ca
grammar

Hello 819. As you have not made any changes that is strange.

Still I would review

1.thumb.jpg.8aac21a00379f18e41ebb0b653ca1228.jpg

Also I would recommend password protecting your ESET settings.

2.thumb.jpg.b9e02ef122a8264cdbee6fc6cc95a1df.jpg

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

TomFace,

Thanks for the reply.

As it happens, under Desktop Notifications, both the Duration and Transparency options are grayed out.  I can see, however, that Duration is set to 10 and Transparency is set to 20.  Interestingly, I do not recall ever having even seen these options, but, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Also, "verbosity" is set to Informative  while Administrator is the user identified below.

So, I guess the mysteries are why those first two options are grayed out, and what can I do to correct this.

Thanks again very much.

Edited by 819b6ca

46 minutes ago, 819b6ca said:

So, I guess the mysteries are why those first two options are grayed out, and what can I do to correct this.

Under the Alerts Window section, make sure the "Display Alerts" setting is enabled; i.e. check marked.

16 minutes ago, itman said:

Under the Alerts Window section, make sure the "Display Alerts" setting is enabled; i.e. check marked.

It is/was.  Also, "Close message boxes automatically" is set to disabled.  So I have enabled it and set the Timeout to 120 seconds..  Additionally I have ensured that all "Confirmation messages" are enabled.

Anything else?

Thank you.

So, I just made the changes I stated above, and started up Google Earth.  It's not been online for a while, and it always wants to connect immediately.

Well, after making the stated changes, the eset pop-up window appeared and was gone almost instantaneously.  So I'd say the changes I made had no effect.

Anyone up for recommending a reinstallation?

That's up to you (as it's your dime/time). It may or may not fix your issue.

You could try a repair first via control panel>programs.

Here's the KB on uninstall.

https://support.eset.com/kb2788/

If you do decide to uninstall/reinstall, you might want to do the uninstall via safe mode using the uninstall tool.

http://support.eset.com/kb2289/

Of course, for proper tracking and case resolution you could always open a trouble ticket with ESET US Support.

That might be your best bet (although you might be told to uninstall/reinstall...but that's just a guess on my part).

https://www.eset.com/us/support/contact/

Regards,

Tom

Edited by TomFace

It would also help to narrow down the problem.

Is the quick closing of alert messages only occurring for alerts when the firewall is in Interactive mode? For example when an Eset update status alert appears, does it remain on the desktop so a while.

Edited by itman

If he's referring to the actually notification box itself whether to allow or deny certain action I can confirm that I also notice that before you get to make your click the box responsiveness is so instant, almost as if you not sure you even made the choice, maybe slight adjustment would be recommended :)

Edited by URBAN0

1 hour ago, itman said:

It would also help to narrow down the problem.

Is the quick closing of alert messages only occurring for alerts when the firewall is in Interactive mode? For example when an Eset update status alert appears, does it remain on the desktop so a while.

I am not aware of any other alerts both being set to appear and actually appearing.  So to answer your first question, yes.

3 hours ago, TomFace said:

You could try a repair first via control panel>programs.

Repair failed; eset now crashes upon reboot (three reboots).  Going for uninstall.  Thanks for the link.

2 hours ago, URBAN0 said:

If he's referring to the actually notification box itself whether to allow or deny certain action I can confirm that I also notice that before you get to make your click the box responsiveness is so instant, almost as if you not sure you even made the choice, maybe slight adjustment would be recommended :)

Appears to be a bug with the allow/deny alert in firewall Interactive mode. Did you submit a support ticket on it?

28 minutes ago, itman said:

Appears to be a bug with the allow/deny alert in firewall Interactive mode. Did you submit a support ticket on it?

I have not, but probably will, because the issue remains after an uninstallation and reinstallation.  Interestingly, it appears that the now-you-see-it-now-you-don't pop-ups occur only when a request is made to the Internet.  The pop-up remains when there is a requested connection to my local network.

The mystery deepens....

• Most Valued Members

Probably unrelated but I remember some people posting about the alert boxes sometimes being approved when they where typing and the box appeared e.g hitting enter on a program and the box was appearing and accepting that enter

39 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Probably unrelated but I remember some people posting about the alert boxes sometimes being approved when they where typing and the box appeared e.g hitting enter on a program and the box was appearing and accepting that enter

Oh yeah...I've done that, and probably even within eset.  But that's not what's been happening here (darn).

Even when I manage to click/enable the "Allow and Remember...." radio button, the pop-up still disappears before I have the chance to say either Allow or Deny.  Thing has a mind of its own....

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, 819b6ca said:

Even when I manage to click/enable the "Allow and Remember...." radio button, the pop-up still disappears before I have the chance to say either Allow or Deny.  Thing has a mind of its own....

I presume you are on the latest version. Have you tried enabling pre-release updates. Theres always the possibility that it's a fixed bug but the update hasn't been fully rolled out yet. Pre release updates are basically upcoming updates that they test on a few people first.

Just to also check, you uninstalled did you use the uninstalled tool in safe mode. I believe itman gave a link earlier. While uninstalling via the standard uninstaller can sometimes work the uninstal tool is designed to remove leftovers as well that could cause issues 

I have not tried pre-release versions.  Certainly something to consider.

As far as I know, I am on the latest version.  I actually ended up installing a several-years-old version I had laying around.  I installed without incident, and was followed by it updating both the program and the modules.  So, yeah...I think I am on the latest (12.2.23.0 of Internet Security).

Was in a chat window with eset about 20 minutes ago.  They wanted to remote into my computer, so I downloaded their remote tool, and it came down as "blahblahblah.desktop."  I think their system auto-detected my browser and sent the wrong file.  My browser presented as Linux, but I'm actually on Windows 7.  Soooooooooooo, we tried to correct that by me starting a brand new chat session, but by the time I get it going, there were no more representatives available.  Andddd, it's after hours now.

So, rather exciting day....

Thanks for the feedback.

Make sure you have a trouble ticket open with Support.

Be sure to keep this issue in perspective...it's not the end of the world. Frustrating, yes...but there are worse things.;)

Regards,

Tom

24 minutes ago, TomFace said:

Make sure you have a trouble ticket open with Support.

Be sure to keep this issue in perspective...it's not the end of the world. Frustrating, yes...but there are worse things.;)

Regards,

Tom

Indeed.  Thanks for the reminder.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, 819b6ca said:

I have not tried pre-release versions.  Certainly something to consider.

As far as I know, I am on the latest version.  I actually ended up installing a several-years-old version I had laying around.  I installed without incident, and was followed by it updating both the program and the modules.  So, yeah...I think I am on the latest (12.2.23.0 of Internet Security).

Was in a chat window with eset about 20 minutes ago.  They wanted to remote into my computer, so I downloaded their remote tool, and it came down as "blahblahblah.desktop."  I think their system auto-detected my browser and sent the wrong file.  My browser presented as Linux, but I'm actually on Windows 7.  Soooooooooooo, we tried to correct that by me starting a brand new chat session, but by the time I get it going, there were no more representatives available.  Andddd, it's after hours now.

So, rather exciting day....

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you try the uninstaller tool? 

Quite often  when people have upgraded from older versions there have been issues with part of the older version remaining accidentally. Uninstalling normally has sometimes still had these bits remaining. 

The uninstaller tool is different as it's designed to remove everything eset but it has to be done in safe  mode. If you haven't tried this yet I recommend it as it does sound like bits of the old version could be left behind. The window bug could actually have been a bug from back then and while you have updated bits of the files remain so the bug also remains

58 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Did you try the uninstaller tool? 

Quite often  when people have upgraded from older versions there have been issues with part of the older version remaining accidentally. Uninstalling normally has sometimes still had these bits remaining. 

The uninstaller tool is different as it's designed to remove everything eset but it has to be done in safe  mode. If you haven't tried this yet I recommend it as it does sound like bits of the old version could be left behind. The window bug could actually have been a bug from back then and while you have updated bits of the files remain so the bug also remains

The "tool"?  Well, I ran the uninstallation program, part of the eset installation.  Is there a separate "tool" for uninstalling it?

3 minutes ago, 819b6ca said:

The "tool"?  Well, I ran the uninstallation program, part of the eset installation.  Is there a separate "tool" for uninstalling it?

Well, have downloaded the "tool," saved instructions as .pdf, and am ready to reboot.

One thing to note: when I started having this particular issue, some two weeks ago, I had not undertaken any type of un/installation of eset.  Overall I'm not aware of anything I did that precipitated the current issue.

Curious....

8 hours ago, itman said:

No I haven't reported this because it never really bothered me and I haven't seen anyone else mentioning until now😁😀

Edited by URBAN0