About Eicar

novice

Just tested ESET against Eicar.

The Pop-Up warning says , on reputation, "Discovered 5 days ago"

And as options:

Block access?  

But the possible buttons are :  Disconnect and Ignore

So, how come is "Discovered 5 days ago"  and if I am asked "Block"    why the option is "Disconnect" and not "Block"  or "Ignore"

eicar.jpg

Edited by novice

• Administrators

Since you're downloading a file via http, disconnect means to terminate the connection to prevent the file from being downloaded and saved to a disk.

I understand that " disconnect means to terminate the connection " but my questions were:

1.Why Eicar has a reputation of only 5 days when should be 10 years or more?

2.If the question is "Block access?" why the option offered are "Disconnect"  and "Ignore Threat"??   Shouldn't rather be "Block"  and "Allow"????

• Administrators

It's just wording. Historically we've used "Disconnect" there since v2. If a connection to a malicious website has been established, technically "disconnect" or "terminate connection" better describes what happens when the user clicks the button. Of course, the wording can be subject to discussion, however, nobody has had any objections  in the last 17 years.

As for the age, it refers to the process, ie iexplore.exe which has been recently updated on your machine.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

This question has now been completely answered, and the topic is now closed.

Forum members are reminded that creating multiple accounts is against the forum's Terms of Use

Furthermore, creation of new accounts in an attempt to circumvent moderation, including temporary or permanent bans, will result in the forum moderation team taking whatever actions they deem appropriate at their sole discretion.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky