Difficulty Accessing ESET Update Server

Someone has reported that he had difficulty accessing ESET update server for quite some time. He has provided pcap trace for ESET to optimize the server and routing logic. Hopefully ESET can address this issue asap.

The download link and download password are attached here

pcap_trace.txt

• Administrators

There have been no issues with ESET's update servers for years. Please carry on as follows:

- uninstall and re-install v12.2.23 from scratch to make sure that it gets re-registered to Winsock
- should the problem persist, enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for customer care
- run manual update
- stop logging
- collect logs with ELC and upload the generated archive here.

14 minutes ago, Marcos said:

There have been no issues with ESET's update servers for years. Please carry on as follows:

It is about ISP connectivity. The update can work but with high chance of failure during the download process. This issue has been there for some mainland Chinese users with certain ISPs for years. I've heard numerous users there in the past complained that they had difficulty updating the virus db (the download being extremely slow or the download failed in the middle)  or connecting to Livegrid. That's why I am providing the network dump here.

• Administrators

I don't think there's a general problem with updating in China. As far as I know, they have their own update servers.

However, you seem to be from the US. I'll wait for logs requested above.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

However, you seem to be from the US. I'll wait for logs requested above.

I am submitting this issue on behalf of some Chinese user. I myself don't have any update issues.

Yes, for large ISPs like China Telecom the update is OK, that person is using an ISP called Great Wall Broadband Network and had trouble accessing the server.

2 hours ago, itman said:

This might also be related to "Great Firewall" activity: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Firewall

theoretically ESET should have update/livegrid servers in the "wall". So I guess this is more of a routing logic issue within the product. Previously users there try to modify host to force redirect the update server to the local ones. However I believe this had better be eventually fixed by ESET...