Problem with root certificate installation

RLsBK

Hello!

I installed the trial version of NOD32 a couple days ago, and so far so good if not for a recurring event message in the log files originating from the Personal firewall module :

"An attempt to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed"

If I'm not mistaken, it is related to the certificate ESET requires for SSL/TLS filtering to work.

Now the thing is, it does seem to be installed properly on my Thunderbird and Firefox, as I can clearly see "ESET SSL Filter CA" listed in both programs' certificate manager.

I've also manually added the certificate to the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" via the Internet Properties, but the event message still show up.

What could cause this?
Thanks for the help.

My system:
Windows 10 Home x64 v1809
ESET NOD32 x64 v12.2.23.0
Firefox x64 v68.0.1
Thunderbird v60.8.0

• Administrators

Strange, with the latest version of Firefox and Thundebird the chances of encountering the error should be minimal. Try disabling SSL/TLS filtering, reboot the machine and then without launching any application re-renable it.

Alright, just tried that, but no dice.

Got the same event message, two of them actually at the very same timestamp.

"ESET SSL Filter CA" still listed in the certificate manager though.

11 hours ago, RLsBK said:

Now the thing is, it does seem to be installed properly on my Thunderbird and Firefox, as I can clearly see "ESET SSL Filter CA" listed in both programs' certificate manager.

In both apps, click on Edit Trust tab and ensure "This certificate can identify websites" is checkmarked as shown in the below screen shot:

Eset_Cert.thumb.png.21a128071b41d152977c76246f3ce426.png

Edited by itman

It was checked in Firefox, but not in Thunderbird.

Opened upThunderbird like 15 minutes later, and it was unchecked again...

35 minutes ago, RLsBK said:

Opened upThunderbird like 15 minutes later, and it was unchecked again...

Possibly you didn't properly save the cert. change in ThunderBird.

13 hours ago, RLsBK said:

I installed the trial version of NOD32 a couple days ago, and so far so good if not for a recurring event message in the log files originating from the Personal firewall module :

"An attempt to add the root certificate to all known browsers on your computer failed"

Need clarification on this. NOD32 doesn't contain the firewall feature. As such, I beleive there is no Eset such like log unless perhaps there is a Network log present? If so, post a screen shot of the log entries related to Eset's failure to add its root cert, that are present in the log.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, itman said:

Need clarification on this. NOD32 doesn't contain the firewall feature.

It contains the firewall part responsible for protocol filtering (HTTP/S, POP3/S, IMAP/S).

Please provide a Procmon log from a boot (see the FAQ section on the right-hand side of this forum). After a boot, launch Procmon and stop logging after getting the error message.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I just contacted ESET's tech support by phone, and I was told that NOD32 is not compatible with recent versions of Thunderbird, and that it's not going to change.

So I guess I have to make a choice between NOD32 and Thunderbird, which I've been using for years...bummer

• Administrators

OK so I just contacted ESET's tech support by phone, and I was told that NOD32 is not compatible with recent versions of Thunderbird, and that it's not going to change.

We haven't supported Thunderbird in terms of a plug-in for years. The last supported version was Thunderbird v5.

However, email received via POP3S and IMAPS is scanned for malware regardless of the email client used.
What is not supported is antispam, scanning of sent email and re-scanning already scanned email via the context menu.

59 minutes ago, Marcos said:

However, email received via POP3S and IMAPS is scanned for malware regardless of the email client used.

It doesn't work for AOL e-mail. I have a separate thread open on this issue. It appears to work for Gmail.