NOD32 Hijacked my PC?

Hey,

So I recently decided to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and have been having an issue using a program I typically was using on Windows 7.

I went through the entire process of compatibility troubleshooting both automatic and manual, yet nothing happened.

I was recommended to disable my anti-virus.. and something interesting happened.

After disabling both Firewall AND Protection, ESET had a nice little popup in the upper right corner of my screen stating that it had "detected" something..

Everything still says disabled.. Yet ESET is still hijacking my file system and detecting false positives...? 

On top of that my program is still giving me "An Internal Error Occurred." - Back to troubleshooting.

I've exhausted nearly every solution I can find / come up with, I get to the last one.. Uninstalling NOD32. 

After a reboot, suddenly my program is running and all is well, except the lack of a (semi)reliable anti-virus. 

So.. If ESET refuses to provide a feature which ACTUALLY disables their program, I am forced to find a new Smart Security solution. 

Good thing my sub expires in 20 days.. We had a good run ESET. 

Hi Hoffmann,

Sorry for your troubles.

I can see you have been diligently waiting for a response, and i feel your questions would be better answered by Staff, but here goes.

First thing, Disabling Real-time protection and firewall, are not the only modules and protection system in place, used by Nod32.

They are simply the most important and mostly used modules, covering most aspects. HIPS is another module for protection.

Also, disabling protection is not the way to free up your program in question, because it leaves your system vulnerable to attacks.

The best way to handle this issue with your program, is to create exclusions for your software, and create any rules with the firewall it may need for network traffic.

For exclusions, you set the directories of your program to be ignored by ESET, for your firewall, you change the mode to interactive and allow/deny your program, or the easiest way, set the firewall mode to learning, run your program and every part of it, then switch back to Automatic with rules, or interactive, whichever you may be using.

If you decide to leave ESET, we will be sad to see you go, and i suspect you still may encounter issues with your program using other suites, because they too have protection and firewall, which may block access without exclusions or a firewall; and if they don't, i would be sad because they are no where near close to the tech ESET is using or the strength in finding malicious activities.

Good luck Hoffmann and feel  free to post again with questions, concerns, or anything that you may just simply require assistance with. :)

Thanks~

• Administrators

After disabling both Firewall AND Protection, ESET had a nice little popup in the upper right corner of my screen stating that it had "detected" something..

Everything still says disabled.. Yet ESET is still hijacking my file system and detecting false positives...?

Please be more specific as to what "something" means. We need to know what exact message or alert you got.

Also we'll need to know if disabling real-time protection OR firewall remedies the issue. These are independent protection modules so it should be enough to temporarily disable either one.

So.. If ESET refuses to provide a feature which ACTUALLY disables their program, I am forced to find a new Smart Security solution.

Nobody has ever refused to assist you. You registered here just a few hours ago and this was your very first post.

Hello Hoffmann.SOunds like to me,based on these symptoms,that you left your suite installed when upgrading the OS,which can sometimes lead to some bizarre and unforeseen consequences like you have encountered.I have seen some suites flag processes during an OS upgrade as virus like activity.As a matter of best practice,it's always better to fully remove a security suite prior to an OS upgrade.AT this stage,a simple uninstall of ESET,followed by a reboot,then a reinstall of ESET should solve your problem.You also might want to run the system file checker from an elevated command prompt to make sure there are no corrupt OS system files: click on search:type in cmd,right click cmd and run as administrator,then type in sfc /scannow and enter.Should take 15-20 minutes or so to finish.Please post back to this thread and keep us updated with your current status of this problem.

First thing, Disabling Real-time protection and firewall, are not the only modules and protection system in place, used by Nod32.

They are simply the most important and mostly used modules, covering most aspects. HIPS is another module for protection.

Also, disabling protection is not the way to free up your program in question, because it leaves your system vulnerable to attacks.

The best way to handle this issue with your program, is to create exclusions for your software, and create any rules with the firewall it may need for network traffic.

For exclusions, you set the directories of your program to be ignored by ESET, for your firewall, you change the mode to interactive and allow/deny your program, or the easiest way, set the firewall mode to learning, run your program and every part of it, then switch back to Automatic with rules, or interactive, whichever you may be using.

This was one of the first things I did. I added the program and and ports it uses to the firewall exceptions. Though I will attempt to run learning mode to test if there is anything that was missed.

In regards to the OS Upgrade solution superssjdan suggested, this was not the case. Installing Windows 8.1 was an option I went with after my SSD finally threw in the towel and I had to use a different drive which was formatted prior to installing. 

Please be more specific as to what "something" means. We need to know what exact message or alert you got.

Also we'll need to know if disabling real-time protection OR firewall remedies the issue. These are independent protection modules so it should be enough to temporarily disable either one.

Nobody has ever refused to assist you. You registered here just a few hours ago and this was your very first post.

I'm not sure if English is not your first language but he clearly never says, Anyone has refused to help him. He says that ESET does not have a feature that TOTALLY stops it from working almost as if it wasn't there (like most other companies do).

On topic, i have the same problem as OP, but it happens to a number of different software (Orgin, Nvidia Geforce)  

I believe this is related , some times when i download a *.exe, i wont be able to open it, move it, delete it , the only thing i can do is rename it and then it  works sometimes. 

This is not the biggest issues for me ATM, but i will make another thread for that problem.

unlucky for me my subs goes on for months so i cant just jump ship.

Edited by Jungle_Jon