Internet and Network Protection Issue

Hello, I am just about to try out ESS using the trial. But Internet and Network Protection have been a problem since the installation. I can't seem to get them to work. I've tried restarting, reinstallation, repairing installation, even resetting settings to default, and I can't find anything online about this. The non-functional ones are Web access protection, anti-phishing, firewall, network attack protection, and botnet protection. This is just the trial and I don't want it to be wasted. Screenshots attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:
- enable advanced logging under Help and support -> Details for customer care
- reboot the system
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector and post the generated archive here. For instructions, see the FAQ section at the right-hand side of this forum).

Thanks for the very quick response! Here are the files requested. I apologize but I am going to sleep now because its late at night here.

essp_logs.zip

Edited by ven
Information

• Administrators

A WFP transaction error occurred. This is typically caused by corrupted Windows transaction system.

To fix it:
1, Run cmd with elevated administrator rights
2, Run from the console the following commands:
fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\
cd c:\windows\system32\config\TxR
attrib -H -S *
del *.blf
del *.regtrans-ms

3, reboot the machine

Sorry for the very long wait. I did the commands with administrator rights and rebooted my PC, nothing seems to have changed. Also, when I did del *.blf and del *.regtrans-ms, it said that they can't be deleted because they are being used by other processes, or something like that. What should I do next?

• Administrators

Try deleting the files in safe mode as suggested here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1032849/corrupt-transaction-resource-manager-after-windows-10-install

Re-installation of Windows would also fix the issue but that's not what we would like to recommend since there's an easier way how to fix the problem with the Windows transaction system.

Running the commands in safe mode, I still get the "they are being used by other processes" message. Screenshots attached.

Screenshot (6).png

Edited by ven
Spelling correction

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Try deleting the files in safe mode as suggested here:

https://superuser.com/questions/1032849/corrupt-transaction-resource-manager-after-windows-10-install

Re-installation of Windows would also fix the issue but that's not what we would like to recommend since there's an easier way how to fix the problem with the Windows transaction system.

If the entire quoted reference is read, the only thing that fixed this for the OP was a reformat of the OS partition and a clean install of Win 10. 

Edited by itman

Does this mean the only way to fix the antivirus is to completely wipe my PC clean and start from scratch? If that is the case, then I'd rather not use an antivirus. ESET is great, but it's not worth keeping if it's not working.

You can running this command from admin level command prompt window:

sfc /scannow

When that completes if you are running Win 10, then run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

Ref.: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Note that both sfc and DISM will take a while to complete.

Just finished. SFC found corruption but DISM didn't. Screenshot added. It's getting pretty late here so I'm going back tomorrow.1670678522_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.b05aa9635f6a839f15e493d819848f11.png

Edited by ven
Information

Based on the SFC scan findings, I would say a Win 10 reinstall is called for.

The least painful way to do so is to use the "Reset" feature in Win 10 described in this article: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc . This feature will allow you to keep all your personal files but all your Windows non-Store apps will have to be reinstalled including Eset. So if you have customized Eset settings, make sure you export those prior to performing the Win 10 Reset.

Hopefully after the Reset installation is completed and Eset reinstalled, it will function normally.

Also note that a Win 10 Reset does not modify any existing Win 10 account logon profiles. So if there are issues associated with those settings, they will persist after a Reset is performed.

I did see that option but I didn't want to use it because it would remove my apps. But now you've convinced me. I'm gonna reset my PC. I just want to make sure if this wouldn't erase any files in my drives and cause any problems to my PC.

2 hours ago, ven said:

I just want to make sure if this wouldn't erase any files in my drives and cause any problems to my PC.

I ran it on Win 10 x(64) 1809 w/o issue. Just make sure you select the option to "keep my files."

Note that the screen shots given in the linked article are for Win 10 ver. 1903. The option settings for file retention are different in earlier Win 10 vers.. They use a check mark selection for file retention options. As I recollect, the option to keep all user personal files is check marked by default on the earlier vers.. When this option screen is displayed, just proceed carefully and verify the "keep all user files" option is selected.

However since this a Microsoft feature, I take no personal responsibility if the feature doesn't work as intended.

I did it! I reset my PC and ESET is working now. The only thing I have to do now is reinstall some apps and fix why my Microsoft apps are not working, but that should be doable. Thank you very much for helping me fix my antivirus!2005512387_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.eec58b9aa32182c14d61216387513126.png9763311_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.22632d32673ae35366887201ddb011cd.png969178118_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.dcf8a7a826e377ae2eaab918fb9140a2.png