Since update to 12.2.23, no more popups in interactive mode

Hi, I was away for a few days, and when I returned home I find that I am longer asked to allow or deny through the popup windows normally seen in interactive mode. 

Automatic mode seems to work, but of course removes the ability to decide myself.  I am assuming that the software updated itself while I was away, and that is why I'm seeing this behavior.

Also, possibly related; this area is completely blank now, meaning it shows a blank white page:

ADVANCED-TOOLS-NOTIFICATIONS

This reminds me of the problem a few years ago when the popup windows were actually there, but not visible.  For now, I am using automatic mode, but I'd like to get this problem sorted out so I can go back to the way it behaved before the update.  I am 100% sure it was functioning correctly before I went away.

What information can I provide to assist?

Edited by thunderrd

• Administrators

Please provide:

- a screen shot or two of the troublesome screen(s) for clarification
- logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

32 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please provide:

- a screen shot or two of the troublesome screen(s) for clarification
- logs collected with ESET Log Collector.

Screenshot attached.  Will post logs when I have the log collector figured out.

Screenshot (2).png

Edited by thunderrd

• Administrators

For instructions how to collect ELC logs, please see my signature or FAQ on the right-hand side of this forum.

Is this the only screen that doesn't look ok?
If you select Update -> List of all modules, does the window populate with information about installed modules?
Did you perform a clean install of v12.2.23 or it was upgrade from v12.1 or older? Did you reboot the machine after the upgrade?

Hi Marcos,

This is the only problem screen that I see so far.  'List modules' shows correctly.

It was not a clean install, as I said, the system was up to date with the previous version before I went away, and returned to find it updated to .23.  Yes, it has been rebooted, although not immediately after the update.

eis_logs.zip

• Administrators

Checked the logs but didn't find any obvious problem. A weird thing was that the system event log was basically empty, there were only a few events from yesterday. Then there was a couple of applications that might theoretically cause issues. If you can uninstall them, one at a time and then see if the issue goes away, try it:

Winaero Tweaker
RamCache III
RAMDisk
VirtualCloneDrive

If nothing helps, try uninstalling ESET and installing v12.2.23 from scratch. Failing this, a support ticket will need to be created with your local customer care and the issue be investigated by ESET's engineers.

OK, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and after importing my established ruleset everything seems to have gone back to the correct behavior.  The notifications window is back to normal, and the Allow/Deny notifications are back.  I suspect something must have gone sideways in the automatic update routine regarding the notifications themselves.

I did not check the programs you mentioned - I'm pretty sure nothing there was the culprit as they have been running through years of updates with no adverse effect.

Thanks for the advice, maybe keep this thread open for a week in case something else happens?

Thanks Marcos

Edited by thunderrd

• Administrators

Thank you for confirming that the issue has been resolved.

We do not close topics even if a solution was provided or found by users.