EIS New Scanner Option Feature?

Hello,

Is "Enable Detection of potentially unsafe applications" a new Scanner option feature?

I am asking this because I don't remember if I turn it ON before, and because with the latest EIS update this option changed to OFF

Thanks

Came

10EIS.jpg.ffdc0c7be7ca1259da9726affa59175c.jpg

Edited by camelia

• Administrators

We've had a setting for detection of pot. unsafe applications for years, I reckon it was first added in NOD32 v2 around 2003 or so.

It's disabled by default since it covers legitimate tools that can be misused in the wrong hands.

6 hours ago, Marcos said:

We've had a setting for detection of pot. unsafe applications for years, I reckon it was first added in NOD32 v2 around 2003 or so.

It's disabled by default since it covers legitimate tools that can be misused in the wrong hands.

Dear Marcos,

Please advise so it's to be better if this feature still in turn off for the common users?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, HANDJOJO said:

Please advise so it's to be better if this feature still in turn off for the common users?

I always recommend turning it on and exclude any such application by the detection name if it begins to be detected then and is intentionally used for legitimate purposes by the user. PUsA also cover tools that can be used by attackers to stop or uninstall AV in case of a breach via RDP for instance.

• Most Valued Members
On 7/24/2019 at 6:32 AM, HANDJOJO said:

Thanks for your valuable explanation, I will do it.

Best regards,

The best way to look at pua also is there are many programs that people use that could be risky e.g. there are many people using registry cleaners and similar stuff. They are often risky and its debatable if they should be used, sometimes they may also try to install unwanted extra stuff, nag you to upgrade and other suspicious stuff but people use them and they like them. 

I often see people asking why their favourite software gets classed as a pup and its usually for something like that. With pups its not a virus so its down to the user to decide if the risks are acceptable