ESMC requiring internet access to activate?

• Most Valued Members

Hi,

I've moved my ESMC server to another system (which doesn't have internet access).  I tried to activate it via the License Key, but it requires contacting the Internet (and naturally, ditto with the ESET Business Account).  So I figured the offline license file was the right choice.

However, I couldn't find the option to generate an offline license file for the main ESMC server license.  I already generated the offline keys for the AV and FS systems (and am still waiting for the gpos to take hold of other systems(that have access to the Internet).

So my question is is it possible to activate the main ESMC server without needing to open it to the Internet?

Thanks

ewong

• ESET Staff

Hello,

ESMC itself does need a license only for the need of updating it´s modules (translator, configuration engine module). And for that purpose, it needs to obtain a silent license, which will include its update credentials, that will unlock access to ESET servers. You can alternatively do it in a way, that you import just the product licenses, converted into the offline files.  Please note, that you will have to update your ESMC server then from the offline mirror created by the mirror tool, otherwise it won´t get the latest modules, and won´t be for example able to configure newest settings in newest products. 

In general, a better approach would be to allow access to ESET licensing server, via some proxy, and then use it for activation. 

• Most Valued Members

Hi MichalJ,

I'm not entirely sure how to export the product licenses from the BA account to the ESMC license part.  I know how to do the offline license part; but the "Product" list in the generate offline keys doesn't list "ESMC server" so I'm not able to export it to a license file.  Also, I only see the option to convert to legacy license file.

Any clarifications appreciated,

:ewong

• Administrators

ESMC doesn't use any special license file. Use a license file for Endpoint or whatever ESET security product.

I'm not entirely sure but I recall that the export option is not available if a product activated with the given license has already connected to the Internet, specifically to ESET's EDF servers. Offline licenses are intended only for truly offline computers that never connect to the Internet.

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, Marcos said:

ESMC doesn't use any special license file. Use a license file for Endpoint or whatever ESET security product.

Thanks Marcos.   I got confused when I created the offline license files and didn't know where to get the main license file.  Ends up selecting the main license during product activation was sufficient into to install and product activate online.