Problem with explorer.exe

Hi,

We are facing issue in windows server 2008 R2, eset file security software installed. Every 5-10 minutes all the desktop items disappear. The only way to keep using the PC is going to the task manager and starting the process explorer.exe or logoff the system.

I attach the event log. We would be very grateful for any sugestion you may have.

• Administrators

ESET didn't detect any threat so cleaning was not performed either which might account for the issue with desktop icons.

However, I've found out that you have Loaris Trojan Remover 3.0.74 installed which is most likely legit but I'd definitely remove it and keep  only one AV program installed at a time.

Should you be asked to provide ELC logs next time, please always use the latest version of ELC (currently 3.2). The one you used was a very old version 1.8 so a lot of important stuff was missing.

Hi Marcos, I think it's more like explorer.exe is infected and trying to make an outgoing connection. When this happens, Eset reacts and close explorer.exe

The Loaris Trojan Remover fixed me an issue long time ago that Eset couldn't so that's the reason I'm keeping it...

About the ESET Log Collector Logs, I'm downloading the last version but it's the same I have.

We are going to keep buying the Eset 20+1 Server licenses for our business tomorrow (our license expires on 27 July) because it's incredibly smooth and good your product we just would like to know what would you recommend us to do with our issue...

• Administrators

As I wrote, ESET didn't detect and attempt to clean anything. Although several logs were missing since a very old ESET Log Collector was used but I'd rule out ESET to be the culprit. Try uninstalling the software I pointed out.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:28 PM, Raul Castro said:

We are facing issue in windows server 2008 R2, eset file security software installed. Every 5-10 minutes all the desktop items disappear.

This type of behavior is typical of screen lockers but in this case whatever it is trying to display appears to be malfunctioning. I have been hit by at least two that Eset didn't detect but only when I had a browser session open.

Also:

Check your eventlog to see if you have profile loading issue. You might fallback to the default's profile of that server, and it use a temporary profile. Thus you loose all icon you have in your profile, and when you update your server you reload it usually, thus your profile might come available again.

If it's the error, check the AV and such that might lock your profile.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/fd85f2da-2701-434e-8777-56e33f855840/desktop-icons-missing-in-windows-server-2008-r2?forum=winservergen

Edited by itman