Extortion Spam email with my password

Help. I tried calling ESET and no one is in office today just received an email with my password as subject saying they have access to all of my accounts and are going to extort me if I don't send them $800 in Bitcoin how do I deal with this

• Administrators

It's just a scam, just ignore it and delete it.

You can check if your account password leaked in a breach at https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and if so, change the password to prevent any further misuse.

I've checked your forum registration email address and that account wasn't compromised: Good news — no pwnage found!

Actually it wasn't mentioned what account/s are used by the password specified in the e-mail.

In regards to financial web sites as a rule, web sites of this nature don't use your e-mail address as logon id. They also usually require additional verification after logging on.

For web sites where the logon id is your e-mail address and the password indicated in the e-mail is your password, I would change the password on those web sites.

Also, I do hope the same password is not used on all the web sites you frequent.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

Please drop me a private message with the email address you tested since it's not clear to me what results you got.

• Administrators

You should see a list of services where your account details leaked. The combinations of the usernames and passwords used to log in to those services are not safe after the breach so you should change the password for those accounts.

Ok I saw the list of sites that had data breaches the majority of them I don't use or have barely ever used but will now definitely delete but what I am finding now ever since I put my email address into that site I'm suddenly getting new spam in my inbox this is so frustrating I get hundreds a day and I can't stop them

• Administrators

what I am finding now ever since I put my email address into that site I'm suddenly getting new spam in my inbox this is so frustrating I get hundreds a day and I can't stop them

Definitely checking an email address at haveibeenpwned.com will not cause the person to start receiving spam. The site is trusted and run by a reputable person. To quote from the About section: " I'm Troy Hunt, a Microsoft Regional Director and Most Valuable Professional awardee for Developer Security, blogger at troyhunt.com, international speaker on web security and the author of many top-rating security courses for web developers on Pluralsight." I'm pretty sure he would not trade off entered email addresses for money or other benefits with bad guys.

• Most Valued Members
On 7/21/2019 at 1:16 AM, Diane said:

Ok I saw the list of sites that had data breaches the majority of them I don't use or have barely ever used but will now definitely delete but what I am finding now ever since I put my email address into that site I'm suddenly getting new spam in my inbox this is so frustrating I get hundreds a day and I can't stop them

If you seem to be receiving Spam , then because already you are on the sending list of the Spammers , so nothing to stop them to be honest , only thing you can do is block the spammers each time they send , and be sure to replace all of your passwords with a stronger passwords.

I received similar email last night I think my phantom account was compromised + think spammer has been using my webcam So should I just delete the email Like Diane the password quoted in the email is old and not used for anything significant Bit troubling with the demands made etc Should it be reported to authorities in Australia ?? Who Thanks Colleen

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

As @Marcos, @Rami and @itman noted, this is a common scam.  No one has infiltrated your system and accessed your webcam.  What they have done is found an old compromised account of yours and are sending spam to it in the hope that they will trick you into sending them some money.  You can go ahead and just delete the email.  If you would like, you can file a report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at https://www.ic3.gov/

While it is likely they will not be able to take specific action, reporting it to them allows law enforcement to see how much of this crime is going on around the world, who is being targeted, and it may be helpful in allowing them to uncover the perpetrators, as well as estimate the total economic loss, which is useful when it comes to charging them with crimes as well as sentencing them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 7/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, Colleen said:

I received similar email last night I think my phantom account was compromised + think spammer has been using my webcam So should I just delete the email Like Diane the password quoted in the email is old and not used for anything significant Bit troubling with the demands made etc Should it be reported to authorities in Australia ?? Who Thanks Colleen

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, ZomKem said:

How to stop them?That is the key thing.

Such scam emails should be filtered out by antispam.

Thank you! for the innovative and sophicticated information on this complicated topic. I was searching for this for weeks.