ESET detects WinToolBar Avast

Recently and seemingly out of the blue when running ESET Scan, ESET is detecting a virus stemming from my Avast Anti-Virus.

I have been running Avast for several years and within that time frame I have also run ESET multiple times.

Heretofore I have never received any warning from ESET indicating an issue from Avast.

It appears that ESET is detecting a problem but is unable to delete or quarantine the pesky malignancy.

Attached you will find a Screen Shot of the ESET scan results indicating a problem.

Is this a matter I should be concerned with or should something be done to resolve this issue?

Thank you.

999 PAINT.png

• Administrators

That Google toolbar has been detected by ESET for a long time as a potentially unsafe application. This type of detection is disabled by default which is probably why it wasn't detected by ESET when you ran a scan in the past.

So, does the response above mean that there is a problem or that there is  no problem that I should be concerned about.

A clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

To start with, you shouldn't be running both Avast and Eset with their realtime scanners enabled if that is the case. Only one AV scanner should be running with realtime enabled.

Refer to this posting: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=181969.0 . Uninstall Avast using its uninstall utility . If you must, reinstall it via "custom" installation and ensure nothing related to Google is check marked during the installation process. Then disable Avast's realtime scanning option and use it as a second opinion scanner.

Also Avast's free version is very aggressive in regards to installing undesirable software. So in the free version, I am not sure the above will 100% work. Personally, I would just leave it uninstalled.

Edited by itman

Please accept my apologies for having posted my inquiry.

I am profoundly humbled by the chastising I have received.

Not surprisingly when I contacted Avast about this issue they suggested I not ever use ESET.

The Administrator of this topic may close and also delete my question.

Thank you

• Administrators

This is what happened:
1, You use another free AV with its real-time protection active and you ran a scan with ESET Online Scanner to see if ESET finds a threat missed by your AV that could be still on your machine.

2, Upon running ESET Online Scanner, you opted for detection of potentially unsafe applications which cover legitimate tools that could be misused in the wrong hands and some toolbars too. This detection is disabled in ESET's products by default.

3, The free version of your AV is known to be distributed with a toolbar that ESET detected during the scan.

4, The toolbar was detected in your AV's folder so it could be that the AV protected it from being removed by EOS.