SSL/TLS protocol filtering slows internet / recommended settings

karsayor

Hello 

I have experienced at several customers now that SSL filtering is slowing down the speed of internet browsing, sometimes needing to wait 10-15 seconds before a page is loading. When disabled, things are going much faster and I have seen some topics on this forum about it, here and here.

It makes me wonder what are the correct settings and wheter the "List of SSL/TLS filtered applications" is supposed to fill up automatically because I experienced that it does not always.

AFAIK when enabled, filtering mode should be set to "Automatic mode" and list of SSL/TLS filtered applications should populate itself automatically. If set by Policy to empty, then it can be a bug as explained in second topic up here, but even if I add manually applications to the list of SSL Filtered applications things seems to be better but still slow.

Can you please help me investigate why is internet so slow ? Tried EES 6.6 to latest 7.1

What browser is this behavior being observed for? Have you tried different browsers and the same behavior manifests?

• Administrators

If enabling pre-release updates doesn't make any difference, please open a support ticket for your local customer care.

Hi Marcos, thanks for your answer. Could you please confirm if "filtering mode should be set to "Automatic mode" and list of SSL/TLS filtered applications should populate itself automatically" and also if as you suggest, there are pre-releases updates that are supposed to fix this issue ? Or are you just suggesting pre-release to test ? Because I know this behaviour has been here for months so I do not think it will be fixed like this.

• Administrators

1, Yes, we recommend using automatic mode.
2, Currently the list doesn't populate automatically since there was an issue when a policy enforced by ESMC locked the setting and prevented clients from adding applications to the list automatically. I'll need to check with devs if this has already been fixed.

If possible, let me know if you are able to reproduce it also with ESET Internet Security which wasn't affected.

I spent a few days with SSL Filtering disabled, actually it's not better. It very random but mostly it's slow. I tried enabling SSL Filtering again and Disabling "Integrate into system" of the Web Control feature, seems all right again but might become slow again.

It feels very random but from the users feedback it seems it's related to upgrade of Endpoint Security from 6.5 to 6.6 or 7.1