Sign in to follow this  
bkdroid13

Google Chrome CPU Utilization going High - ekrn.exe

Today I installed ESET antivirus and put it on background. When I opened Chrome browser, it just hanged completely.

I tired and disabled all extensions and removed bookmarks in Chrome as mentioned in this guide: https://www.hows.tech/2019/03/how-to-reduce-google-chrome-high-cpu-usage-in-windows-10.html

But after a while I opened task manager and saw ekrn.exe is taking up most of the resources.

What could be the reason behind this? Is this because of extensions in Chrome or antivirus is a culprit?

ekrn.exe is a important service in Eset. Try disabling Real-Time Protection to see if there is a difference

Posted (edited)

Don't disable Realtime protection.

When Eset is installed, it will perform a full in-depth scan of all connected drives within the system. This is only performed once and depending on the available resources of the system, could take some time.

If you have hardware with a slow processor, minimal installed memory, etc., etc., this could explain the Chrome behavior you are experiencing. I would wait till this Eset in-depth scan completes and then retry using Chrome. If the issue persists, then post back that fact.

Edited by itman