ESET issue with Sandboxie - Persistent holding of registry keys

1 hour ago, Page42 said:

I've been opening and closing browser sessions like crazy, trying to get Sandboxie to throw another  "Could not move the sandbox folder out of the way" error message, but all is well.  Sandboxie is deleting sandboxes like it used to.

Have you also tested it as follows:

Start a software (e.g. browser) in a sandbox.
Install or update a software outside Sandboxie.
Exit the program in the sandbox and try to clear it.

This is how the problem always occurred with me.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, URBAN0 said:

That's what you call it exceptional support👍

Cleaner module 1197 has indeed resolved the issue.

Which is why (among other reasons) why I've been an Eset subscriber for many, many years.

👌

Just curious,  I'm fairly new to ESET so still learning. I just looked into installed cleaner modules and I'm still on 1195  and I'm on the latest 12.2.23.0 NOD32 I can only presume that the updates gets pushed  to customers gradually😀

Edited by URBAN0

14 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

👌

Just curious,  I'm fairly new to ESET so still learning. I just looked into installed cleaner modules and I'm still on 1195  and I'm on the latest 12.2.23.0 NOD32 I can only presume that the updates gets pushed  to customers gradually😀

I assume any one who has posted to this effect is using the pre-released version.

• Administrators

We don't release modules to all users at once but gradually in batches so that in case of issues we can stop the release and revert the module to mitigate the impact on users.

Modules are released as follows:
1. wave: released for QA testing
2. wave: released for internal testing on a bigger group of production machines and for beta versions
3. wave: released for users with pre-release update channel set
4. wave: released in batches gradually to all users
5. wave: released for all users.

1 hour ago, URBAN0 said:

Very impressive way of approach. I am truly glad and very happy with my decision to become ESET customer.

Eset has by far the best support of all antivirus software vendors. They are the only ones who take their customers seriously and listen to them!

@Marcos I have been running ESET 1197 pre-release cleaner module for the past few days without issues.  Sandboxie is working like it was prior to the reported problem.  Marcos, could you elaborate what did ESET cleaner module did to Sandboxie to cause this problem?  Sandboxie worked along with ESET for years without any conflicts until the reported issue occured recently.   Your input is appreciated.

Edited by Urashima Taro

51 minutes ago, 100 said:

Eset has by far the best support of all antivirus software vendors. They are the only ones who take their customers seriously and listen to them!

Yes I know this as well, Its a huge, a huge +👏, not only to be heard, but for the developer(s) to actually hear you.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Urashima Taro said:

Marcos, could you elaborate what did ESET cleaner module did to Sandboxie to cause this problem?

Certain registry handles were not closed after cleaning.

Using Win 7/64 Just wanted to confirm that for me too it looks like the issues with sandboxie have been solved (based on the first few days running the new pre-release).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, Marcos said:

3. wave: released for users with pre-release update channel set

4. wave: released in batches gradually to all users

5. wave: released for all users.

Are the test updates still on wave 3? I have now also switched to the test updates.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, 100 said:

Are the test updates still on wave 3? I have now also switched to the test updates.

No. We will start distributing a newer version of the cleaner module 1198 with another fix most likely within the next week.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, beethoven said:

Can you provide some info as to what changes were made compared to the previous fix?

The fix is same. There are no other public changes in that module.

With new cleaner module 1198, for me, the problem came again with intermitence. This was solve with 1197P. Sandboxie with drop rights enable.

Now with 1199 problem solve again.

Edited by mustwakeup

On 8/3/2019 at 10:55 AM, Marcos said:

The Cleaner module 1198 was put on pre-release update servers yesterday (Aug 2).

Cleaner module 1199 now. :-)

On 8/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, 100 said:

Cleaner module 1199 now. 🙂

After updating to cleaner module 1199, the problem has returned with consistency.

Edit: Check that - It is still happening periodically, but it was only consistent for the first few times after updating the cleaner module. It's happening only very rarely afterward. Just to add to the confusion, I guess!

Edited by Tetranitrocubane

My cleaner module ver. is currently 1195 dated 6/10. I could have swore that it had been previously updated to 1198.

Check what ver. your cleaner module is. If its not 1198, you will have to switch to pre-release updates to get it.

7 hours ago, Tetranitrocubane said:

After updating to cleaner module 1199, the problem has returned with consistency.

Edit: Check that - It is still happening periodically, but it was only consistent for the first few times after updating the cleaner module. It's happening only very rarely afterward. Just to add to the confusion, I guess!

Hm, I cannot confirm this under Windows 7 (x64) and EIS 12.2.23 with the cleaner module 1199.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, negord said:

@Marcos Will ESET Smart Security 8 get this update too?

V8 is quite old and already reached its end of life last year (https://support.eset.com/kb3678).

End of life means:

• Regular detection engine updates may continue but are not guaranteed.
  • No technical support or patches are available for this version. Basic Support may continue but is not guaranteed.

I thought that now with the regular updates at least the cleaner module 1197 would be available and so I changed back to it. But it's still on 1195! Now I unfortunately have 3 applications with the locked registry keys and I probably can't restart the system for the next 2 month because big calculations are running which will probably take so long. :-|

Edit: I have created a batch file that should delete all folders and their files (except the RegHive files) of these sandboxes with a double click.

@echo off
FOR /D /R "C:\Sandbox\username\sandboxname1" %%x IN (*) DO rd "%%x" /s /q
FOR /D /R "C:\Sandbox\username\sandboxname2" %%x IN (*) DO rd "%%x" /s /q
FOR /D /R "C:\Sandbox\username\sandboxname3" %%x IN (*) DO rd "%%x" /s /q

Edited by 100

• Administrators

Switching to pre-release updates should install the latest version of the Cleaner module 1199. It's been already distributed to a group of users with regular updates, with the rest to follow within the next few days.