Boot ESET SysRescue 1.0.16 directly from ISO

Hi,

I have a ntfs-formated usb-drive, which uses Grub4Dos to boot several live-systems directly from the ISOs . I wanted to add your "SysRescue 1.0.16" to this stick and it mostly works. But some things are missing.

Here is the working configuration for Grub4Dos

title ESET SysRescue 1.0.16 (20180521)
find --set-root /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso (0xff)
map --hook
kernel (0xff)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper live-media=/dev/disk/by-label/<Label of my usb-drive> locale=de_DE.UTF-8
initrd=(0xff)/casper/initrd.lz

I was able to set the locale, but I still missing the German keyboard-layout. I can set this after boot with "setxkbmap de". Is there a kernel parameter for this command available?

I wanted to boot from the ISO without extracting it. This usually works, until the kernel and initrd are loaded. Then you have to pass a parameter like "iso-scan/filename=ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso" such that the system knows where to find the ISO. Several sources say, that ESET does not support the Ubuntu-parameter "iso-scan/filename" which should normally work. Instead I had to extract the "casper" to the root of my usb-drive. Which parameter should I use to boot SysRescue without extracting files from the ISO?

Kind regards

Tom

• Administrators

Since this seems to be a type of question that probably nobody here will be able to answer, I'd suggest contacting your local customer care that should inquire developers at ESET HQ about it.

Easy2Boot uses grub4dos and can boot directly from the ISO - no iso-scan/filename= is needed because it uses the grub4dos partnew command.

You can add your own menu for eset using a .mnu file and even have persistence. See 'List of tested ISOs' page for blog articles on Eset ISos.

Press F3 to select a keyboard. You can also try adding

keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=gb 

AFTER the end of the line (after ---) for a UK keyboard.

To find the correct kbd string, use F3 to change the keyboard and then boot, then in the terminal type:

dmesg

and look around the 2nd or 3rd page down from the top for the actual kernel parameters that were used to boot it - you should see the layoutcode used.

Edited by Steve2926
dmesg info added

Hi Steve,

thanks for your help.

The parameter to select the language worked. But if it is used together with the locale-parameter, the German umlauts are broken. Not so important for me, since I can now execute scripts like ./install.sh without finding the right keys by trial an error (umlauts are rarely used).

Your other hint regarding the partnew-command was good. Although I read about it the evening before my post, I didn't used it because it just looked like a nasty workaround. But I tried it and it worked. It is still a nasty workaround since partnew creates a new partition which overlaps my existing (hd0,0) and GParted and fdisk complains about it. I also have to use different partition-numbers if I want to use this workaround for different ISOs.

A better solution would be, if ESET would support the iso-scan/filename-parameter as ubuntu does.

Here is my now working config:

title ESET SysRescue 1.0.16 (20180521)
# https://www.eset.com/de/support/sysrescue/
find --set-root /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso (0xff) || map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 --mem /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso (0xff)
map --hook
partnew (hd0,1) 0x0 /ESET-SysRescue-1.0.16.iso
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper locale=de_DE.UTF-8 keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=de
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

Tom