Very slow browsing - SSL\TLs protocol filtering

pps

Hello,

In some computers we get about 20-30 secs for sites to load or we get timeouts. 

When disabling SSL\TLS protocol filtering sites are loading in 1 second. 

I will attach you a log from the Log collector from one computer to  help me investigate this problem.

Thanks,

Peter

pps_ees_logs.zip

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling Web Control make a difference? If there are issues with DNS resolutions, loading websites may take long with Web Control enabled.

Also I've noticed that you have HIPS disabled which means that all the following features are disabled as well and the machines are not protected using modern techniques against new borne malware:

- Self-defense
- Ransomware shield
- Exploit Blocker
- Behavior Monitor

Please re-enable HIPS and reboot the machines as soon as possible to make them protected to the full extent.

Also I'd suggest the following to gain maximum protection:
- upgrade to Endpoint 7.1
- set password to protect settings
- enable detection of potentially unsafe applications (if any that you use on purpose is detected, exclude it by its detection name)
- enable Botnet protection
- enable Network attack protection
- remove the exclusion C:\pagefile.sys, it's useless (the file is never scanned since it's exclusively used by the OS)
- enable LiveGrid feedback system (submission of detected and suspicious files), if possible.

@itman

on first computer Edge and Mozilla

on second laptop mainly Chrome

@Marcos

Disabling the web control make the sites work instantly.

Edited by pps
edit

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, pps said:

Is ERA Database related with the Web Control Module? Can a slow web browsing related with how big the latency of the ERA database is (database is in another server)?

Not at all. Even if extensive logging was enabled, Web Control logs would be transferred to the ESMC server only when agent connects to it. As I wrote, I suspect DNS issues which may cause delays in browsing when Web Control is enabled. In such case, you might want to change the DNS server to Google DNS for instance, ie. 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and see if it makes a difference.

@Marcos

I changed my reply because if was related to the latency of the ERA_DB it will affecting all the workstations at the same time.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, pps said:

@Marcos

In the meantime did you find anything interesting from the Logs attached?

I have already posted my findings above, although not related to your issue.

I believe I have the same issue. It's been awhile since web pages on my laptop take very long time to load. Windows 10, Firefox and Edge browsers have the same issue. I don't see anything labeled Web control. Is Web access protection the same thing? Disabling that didn't change the browser loading speed.

Any advice?

Thanks

• Administrators

In order for SSL/TLS to work, make sure that the appropriate application (browser) is added in the list of SSL-filtered applications. If it's not there, add it manually:

image.png

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Buco said:

looks like it's there, yes?

esetscreenshot.jpg

You have posted in the Endpoint forum but you have ESET Internet Security which is for consumers. The equivalent of Web Control in EIS is Parental Control.

3 hours ago, Buco said:

I don't see anything labeled Web control. Is Web access protection the same thing? Disabling that didn't change the browser loading speed.

Then your slow web page loading issue is not due to Eset.