Installed Nod32 Antivirus on Windows 8.1, now my computers running slow

Roseee

Hi, I purchased a new computer yesterday that already had Windows 8.1 installed on it. After setting up my new computer it was running fine, as fast as you'd expect a new computer to run. I installed Nod32 Antivirus and everything started running so slow I couldn't click on anything without it freezing or crashing. I looked up information on my phone and saw that Windows 8.1 already has av installed on it and that two programs running together would mess things up. I temporarily disabled Nod32 Antivirus and now everything is back to normal. After looking at the system requirements on the back on the Antivirus package I saw its System Requirements are for Windows 8 and older. Does this mean it is not compatible with Windows 8.1? I am unsure if I should uninstall Nod32 or if I should uninstall my other system, as I would prefer to use the Nod 32 antivirus. I hope I have provided enough information, I am a newbie and haven't had a computer in years.

Edited by Roseee

Windows 8 on your laptop has probably come with a trial of Norton or McAfee. As you have realised, you should not run more than one AV system on the same computer as they will fight each other.

Go to programs and features and remove any trials of AV first including Microsoft Security Essentials if it is installed before re-activating NOD32

Also make sure to PROPERLY disable Windows Defender and its start up entries, the guide is here:

hxxp://forums.tweakarena.com/showthread.php?t=258

Scroll down to the bottom where it says for Windows 8/8.1

Edited by Tweak Arena

• Administrators

To make a list of installed apps, you can create a batch file (e.g. list.bat) with the following content:

@echo off

echo Installed software > software_list.txt
echo ================= >>software_list.txt
reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall temp1.txt
find "DisplayName" temp1.txt| find /V "ParentDisplayName" > temp2.txt
for /f "tokens=2,3 delims==" %%a in (temp2.txt) do (echo %%a >> software_list.txt)
del temp1.txt temp2.txt

When done, run the batch file and post software_list.txt here.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I started by checking Windows Defender and it seemed like it was already turned off. When I opened the program a pop up box appeared that stated "This program is turned off" so I left it alone. Next I got a tool to completely remove McAfee and cant find any traces of it left in the system. I enabled eset and everything is running smooth. Again, thanks for the help :) It was a frustrating mistake I made and am happy to be able to use my new computer.

Very nice, McAfee or other products are in some cases pre-installed by the PC vendor a way for them to make money, less good for the person who buys the PC though. But great to hear that you fixed it and back to happy days  :D

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the help, everyone! I started by checking Windows Defender and it seemed like it was already turned off. When I opened the program a pop up box appeared that stated "This program is turned off" so I left it alone. Next I got a tool to completely remove McAfee and cant find any traces of it left in the system. I enabled eset and everything is running smooth. Again, thanks for the help :) It was a frustrating mistake I made and am happy to be able to use my new computer.

This is my problem completely - where did you get the tool to remove McAfee?

This is my problem completely - where did you get the tool to remove McAfee?

McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool v8.0.4016.0

• Administrators

Please let us know what McAfee product and version you have installed as ESET should normally detect it and suggest uninstallation before proceeding with ESET installation.