Brave Browser not protected by anti-phishing

Sammo

• Most Valued Members

Brave is a fork off from Chromium with added blocker,

Switch to Firefox and add uBlock Origin , or if you search in Google you could find a way to install Chromium in Windows and then just add the blocker and you have a blue Brave browser ;)

• Most Valued Members
11 hours ago, Sammo said:

I'm getting really ticked off with Eset not properly protecting some of my browsers. 😠

Not sure about brave. But even when a browser isn't supported eset should still work as far as I know, just things like banking protection may not. Don't quote me on that though

13 hours ago, Sammo said:

I'm getting really ticked off with Eset not properly protecting some of my browsers. 😠

As far as I am aware of Eset IS,SS, and NOD32 Web Access protection filters all port 80 and 443 communication. It is therefore not restricted by browser used. Proof of this can be had by opening the Web and Email section in Advanced setup option of the Eset GUI. Then open the List of SSL/TLS filtered applications section. You will observed a number of apps listed that are not browser related.

What specific problems are you having with Anti-phishing protection?

6 hours ago, itman said:

As far as I am aware of Eset IS,SS, and NOD32 Web Access protection filters all port 80 and 443 communication. It is therefore not restricted by browser used. Proof of this can be had by opening the Web and Email section in Advanced setup option of the Eset GUI. Then open the List of SSL/TLS filtered applications section. You will observed a number of apps listed that are not browser related.

Not working at all.

Brave Eset Phish Fail.png

6 hours ago, itman said:

Hey, thanks for the clue. I already have seen Brave and Waterfox listed there and it still hadn't worked. I fixed the problem by changing the filtering method from Auto to Scan. Works great now.

Hum ........ Not sure "You're out of the woods" on this browser and also Waterfox.

To begin, other things need to be in place for Eset's SSL/TLS browser protcol scanning to work properly. The browser must either use the Windows root CA store where Eset's root certificate is installed by default at installation time, or Eset's root certificate must be added to the browser's root CA store. The later is done by Eset automatically for browser's it officially supports; Chrome, Firefox. IE11, Edge, and possibly Opera use the Win root CA store.

The fact that you were able to pass the AMTSO phishing test by force enabling Eset SSL/TLS scanning for both, does not imply that it is functioning properly on both Brave and WaterFox.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

Hum ........ Not sure "You're out of the woods" on this browser and also Waterfox.

To begin, other things need to be in place for Eset's SSL/TLS browser protcol scanning to work properly. The browser must either use the Windows root CA store where Eset's root certificate is installed by default at installation time, or Eset's root certificate must be added to the browser's root CA store. The later is done by Eset automatically for browser's it officially supports; Chrome, Firefox. IE11, Edge, and possibly Opera use the Win root CA store.

The fact that you were able to pass the AMTSO phishing test by force enabling Eset SSL/TLS scanning for both, does not imply that it is functioning properly on both Brave and WaterFox.

It appears that my browsers are using the Eset root certificate from the Windows root CA store.

On 6/25/2019 at 3:16 PM, Sammo said:

Not working at all.

Brave Eset Phish Fail.png

Did you checked if uBlock isn't blocking part of the website? Perhaps that's the reason why ESET isn't detecting phishing there.

2 hours ago, Azure Phoenix said:

Did you checked if uBlock isn't blocking part of the website? Perhaps that's the reason why ESET isn't detecting phishing there.

I fixed the issue by changing the SSL scanning option from Auto to Scan. Now Eset detects phishing sites and malware just fine.