ESET blocking systemrequirementslab in AMD Catalyst

• Most Valued Members

When you enter AMD Catalyst and then goes to the Games tab where you load your profiles for the game , AMD Catalyst will try to make connection to SysReqLabs , and ESET drops the connection

It can be replicated by going to this website : https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Or by going to Games tab in AMD catalyst

No I am not trying to unblock the website or something , but I thought that I will report that to you.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Rami said:

When you enter AMD Catalyst and then goes to the Games tab where you load your profiles for the game , AMD Catalyst will try to make connection to SysReqLabs , and ESET drops the connection

It can be replicated by going to this website : https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

Or by going to Games tab in AMD catalyst

No I am not trying to unblock the website or something , but I thought that I will report that to you.

I can confirm Eset says the URL could have unwanted content

• Most Valued Members
39 minutes ago, itman said:

Site looks clean to me. I checked with URLVoid and did a new scan at Quttera.

Try to access the website that I've posted somewhere with Web-Filter enabled , it will blocked the access as PUA

But when it happens at home , I do enter the AMD Catalyst to enable Radeon Chill for a specific game , so ESET blocks the attempt to connect to SysReqLabs by AMD Catalyst even though that I am not trying to run the SysReq test , but it seems that AMD catalyst will attempt to connect to SysLabs servers automatically.

It seems that I am getting the block because I have PUA enabled and you don't?

Edited by Rami

• Administrators

And what is the url that is blocked? Please copy and paste the whole row from the Filtered websites log.

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Marcos said:

And what is the url that is blocked? Please copy and paste the whole row from the Filtered websites log.

6/22/2019 7:29:34 PM;hxxp://www.systemrequirementslab.com/services/systeminfo/23CF4DE0-F711-799C-3E7B-7B964A30B959/1232?apikey=0;Blocked by PUA blacklist;C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe ;52.86.212.25;3CA0B486E6D8A2AF118866010C67EE6C5E8245C2

6/22/2019 7:29:33 PM;hxxp://amd.systemrequirementslab.com/services/ping;Blocked by PUA blacklist;C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe;54.210.158.184;3CA0B486E6D8A2AF118866010C67EE6C5E8245C2

Here is more recent if it changes anything :

6/24/2019 12:04:41 AM;hxxp://amd.systemrequirementslab.com/services/ping;Blocked by PUA blacklist;C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe;54.210.158.184;3CA0B486E6D8A2AF118866010C67EE6C5E8245C2

6/24/2019 12:04:41 AM;hxxp://www.systemrequirementslab.com/services/systeminfo/DB5B28A9-CD83-D12B-B81F-D905BA99C4C1/1232?apikey=0;Blocked by PUA blacklist;C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe;52.86.212.25;3CA0B486E6D8A2AF118866010C67EE6C5E8245C2

Each time the generated key is different in the first link , and also the IP but still gets blocked.

And the ping , happens each time you go to the Gaming Tab in Radeon Settings

Edited by Rami

• Administrators

The application served by the blocked address is detected as  Win64/SystemRequirementsLab PUA so the PUA block is ok and it's not a false positive. The question is why on earth RadeonSettings.exe attempt to access that url.

As far as what systemrequirementslab.com does:

A site that will check you systems specs and compare it to a specific games requirements.

I do not recommend it because it just compares to steam/wherever the specs to run are taken from and those are not always the best.

Yeah, minimum system requirements are more like the minimum/oldest the devs bothered to test the game on.

The site just checks boxes, for the GPU it only bothers to look at pixel and vertex shader versions and allocated vram and for the CPU the number of cores and boost frequency.

Checking Resident Evil 4, it says my laptop can't run it because its core m3 doesn't have 512mb vram and doesn't run at 2.4/2.8GHz, even though it can dynamically allocate 2GB and has 60-100% higher IPC than the listed minimum requirement CPUs. It can run it at 720p with HD textures and 30fps with no issues even with a TDP limit locked at 4W.

And one example of negative effects from using the site:

I tried the site. It checked for game, couldn't run it, (which I figured I couldn't but I wanted to try). To check it, I had to download a file from the site and run that. I did so.

Now, every time I start my computer, the website asks to save a cookie. So, apparently, this installed a program that repeatedly tries to connect my PC to them, and I cannot find this program.

I deleted the initial program that I downloaded, and could not find anywhere that it had installed anything.

So, at this point, I'd consider this malware. It's installed something on my computer that runs at startup, I can't find it to remove it, and it's connecting to an internet address that I cannot stop it from connecting to. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/481911309504610314/503585896101314571/unknown.png

Ref.: https://www.reddit.com/r/lowspecgamer/comments/8jbwex/can_you_run_it_a_site_that_will_check_you_systems/

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
22 hours ago, Marcos said:

The application served by the blocked address is detected as  Win64/SystemRequirementsLab PUA so the PUA block is ok and it's not a false positive. The question is why on earth RadeonSettings.exe attempt to access that url.

In the Games tab , AMD tries to put the so called "recommended" settings for your game , so I believe Radeon do use SysReqLabs in order to find the optimal settings for your PC and the game.

I know that website from long time ago , It was more used in the XP days , but still hated it since that day that I knew it , I don't care that it's being blocked by ESET , but it prevents the software from connecting to the internet and Radeon thinks that there is no internet (obviously because ESET is blocking it)

Check this out as an alternative: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1403966-any-alternative-to-www-systemrequirementslab-com

Alternatively, just override Eset's PUA detection. Just don't download anything from that web site. I believe this is the activity Eset is objecting to.

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, itman said:

Check this out as an alternative: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1403966-any-alternative-to-www-systemrequirementslab-com

Alternatively, just override Eset's PUA detection. Just don't download anything from that web site. I believe this is the activity Eset is objecting to.

No I don't use it , it's being used by AMD , I am glad that ESET is blocking it , I guess I can know if my PC can run a game or not , I don't need their software for that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2019 at 1:06 PM, Marcos said:

Hi there,

I'm asking myself why on earth this thing it is not solved. I'm feeling like a ping pong ball. I'm customer of both brands and altogether it's quite frustrating. Also because this is a hot topic in Eset forum, but I don't find any post about it on Radeon forum.... why?

Just created a post in their forum(after report this on ticket support) to bring them to you, so they can explain your question. For me and both parts I just want to solve this

• Administrators
7 hours ago, spy said:

I'm asking myself why on earth this thing it is not solved. I'm feeling like a ping pong ball. I'm customer of both brands and altogether it's quite frustrating. Also because this is a hot topic in Eset forum, but I don't find any post about it on Radeon forum.... why?

There's nothing to fix on our part. SystemRequirementsLab is PUA and therefore the url is blocked as PUA. PUA detection is optional. The question is why Catalyst accesses the PUA url but that's not a question for us but for the maker of Catalyst.

If you are ok with giving information about your IP address and country to the PUA vendor, you can add the blocked address to the list of allowed addresses so that it's not blocked.