ECA - Can we create dynamic groups?

18 minutes ago, foneil said:

I found this topic in Online Help: https://help.eset.com/eca/en-US/admin_dg.html 

Yes,

Unfortunately that article doesn't say anything about being able to, or not able to create other dynamic groups that currently are missing (Agent only, no AV for example). Its pretty presumptuous of ESET to think that the small set of stock default group sets covers all required aspects for all customers.

• ESET Staff

As of now, it´s not planned to allow creation of custom dynamic groups. ECA is targeted towards smaller users, and based on the market evidence we have gathered, creation of DGs, is a bit overwhelming. What are the templates you would like to have there, respectively, what problems are you trying to solve them with that? 

Also, we will be released ESET Security Management Center Cloud in H1/2020, which will allow enterprise scalability, and will have those "advanced" users. 

Edited by MichalJ

7 hours ago, MichalJ said:

As of now, it´s not planned to allow creation of custom dynamic groups. ECA is targeted towards smaller users, and based on the market evidence we have gathered, creation of DGs, is a bit overwhelming. What are the templates you would like to have there, respectively, what problems are you trying to solve them with that? 

Also, we will be released ESET Security Management Center Cloud in H1/2020, which will allow enterprise scalability, and will have those "advanced" users. 

I was looking for a way to group computers that only contain the agent and not the AV. The main reason for this, is because at this time, there does not seem to be a method to automatically deploy the Agent AND AV in a hands free method (ala MDT server, only SCCM). Even the SCCM package only deploys the agent and not the AV.

So I was going to setup an action that has a trigger where if there are any computers in the Agent only group, trigger the "Install AV" task and automatically install and license the workstation.

I'd also like to create an opposite group where, if there has been no communication with the server in X days (say 90 days), mark as uninstall and remove license (put it back in the pool of licenses) from that machine (workstations die, and its easy to forget to relinquish its license).

I'm basically trying to automate my AV coverage as much as possible with ECA and tasks since the generated installer doesn't seem to have a --silent install option anymore (some threads mentioned it, but I've tested it and it doesn't work).

• ESET Staff

Thank you @OrthoC. I will forward this information to my colleague, a responsible PM for ECA. We are already tracking several improvements targeted towards more automation, and those use-cases you have described would be definitely valuable inputs for us. I will also ask colleagues to check the "run installer silently option", as AFAIK that one should still exist. 

• ESET Staff

After a short brainstorm with colleagues about this, this would be our recommended approach: 

1. Install ESET Management Agent using GPO / SCCM
  2. Install ESET Endpoint Security (or Antivirus) using GPO / SCCM (product will be installed with default settings, silently)
  3. Automate the product activation by using the "not activated" dynamic group, with a product activation task set for both "joined dynamic group trigger", but for sure also a "scheduled trigger" to set for every few hours, without expiration (so even if for whatever reason the first activation fails, it will re-try). 

You can download the .msi installation package from eset webpage here: https://www.eset.com/int/business/endpoint-security-windows/download/

Hello and Thank you for the solution.

The question I have: Why isnt the .msi made available as a downloadable link within the ECA?  From what I understand, to generate the .exe, an MSI must be generated first and then embedded. Why not make it an option for those who need the MSI option (feature idea that I'm certain would be popular).

Cheers.