Am I having too many Edge connections?

camelia

Hello,

IF I don not use/open/browse Edge, and some days I don't check for WU...

Why then Edge is calling phone or whatever you experts call it... I called unwanted connections :unsure:

I do not want to brake WU, but also I don't want Edge connects only God knows where and why

CCEdge.jpg.d904a483b05a06554b382bafe7ac22be.jpg

What do you suggest me to do

Thanks

Camelia

Update 1: I don't know why they moved my Topic to General Discussion, when It can be an EIS firewall help 😤

Update 2: My name is Camelia 😱

Edited by camelia
bad info

Refer to wilderssecurity.com that has multiple postings on this issue.

In summary, Win 10 will try it's darnedest to keep Edge always running. Since I don't use Edge as my browser, I just block its start up with an Eset HIPS rule. This has resolved the issue for me.

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, itman said:

In summary, Win 10 will try it's darnedest to keep Edge always running. Since I don't use Edge as my browser, I just block its start up with an Eset HIPS run. This has resolved the issue for me.

Thanks @itman

I am a https://www.wilderssecurity.com/  member

Could you please send me a private message letting me know In which sub forum I have to ask?

Thanks

Came

On 6/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, itman said:

In summary, Win 10 will try it's darnedest to keep Edge always running. Since I don't use Edge as my browser, I just block its start up with an Eset HIPS rule. This has resolved the issue for me.

Hello @itman Could you please be so kind to post in this topic an screenshot of how do you block Edge start up with an Eset HIPS rule?

Thanks

Camelia

2 hours ago, camelia said:

Hello @itman Could you please be so kind to post in this topic an screenshot of how do you block Edge start up with an Eset HIPS rule?

The Eset HIPS rule I monitor Edge execution with is shown below. Source applications setting for this rule is "All applications."

Note: This rule works for me using Win 10 x(64) 1809. I haven't validated that this is so on 1903 since I haven't installed it yet.

Eset_Edge.png.77699a5d9d7d417bcc24961292e5d4e2.png

Edited by itman

1 hour ago, camelia said:

Failed to create the Eset HIPS rule 

Oh, my. This is one reason why I am always hesitant about showing my HIPS rules when asked. You should review HIPS rule creation using Eset built-in online help on the subject.

1. For the first screen shot. change the Rule name prefix from "CameRule:" to "User rule:" All user created rules should use this prefix. No need to log any events since you already know you're blocking Edge start up. Click the "Next" button.

2. As far as the second screen - Source applications, you ignored my previously posted instructions. Click on the down arrow next to where "Specific applications" is displayed and select "All applications." Click the "Next" button.

3. Your next screen displayed at this point should be Application operations. Deselect "All application operations." Select "Start new application." Click the "Next" button.

4. The next screen displayed should be "Applications." Click on the down arrow next to where "All applications" is displayed and select "Specific applications." Click on the "Add" tab. Now enter the full path name for Edge there. Warning - verify that the EDGE .exe is actually stored at that location. Remember what I posted previously is for ver. 1809. Click on the "Finish" button.

5. Click on any subsequent "OK" button shown to save your newly created HIPS rule.

6. Reopen the HIPS section and verify that your rule was created as specified.

Note this is my last instruction posting to you on how to create HIPS rules.

Hello @itman

Please don not show me your Cortana HIPS rule

But can I add the same way I did with Edge, a HIPS rule to block Cortana start up? 😶

C:\Users\ME\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AC\AppCache\DE0IAD7S\1\Init[1].htm   

Can I brake Windows WU, blocking Edge and Cortana start up?

A yes or no will do it

Kind Regards

Camelia

Edited by camelia

26 minutes ago, camelia said:

Please don not show me your Cortana HIPS rule

But can I add the same way I did with Edge, a HIPS rule to block Cortana start up? 😶

I never attempted to block Cortana using Eset HIPS. I use O&O ShutUp 10 to "harness" its activities.

• Most Valued Members
On 6/22/2019 at 9:48 PM, itman said:

I never attempted to block Cortana using Eset HIPS. I use O&O ShutUp 10 to "harness" its activities.

Thanks for that itman , I was trying to remember the name of O&O software , I completely forgot about it and Cortana drove me crazy recently , trying to disable it every way I can , but Cortana is mighty keeps resurrecting itself haha

Thanks!