ERROR WHILE INITIALIZING CONFIGURATION EDITOR.: (TYPEERROR) : ((INTERMEDIATE VALUE)(INTERMEDIATE VALUE) , K).INITCONFIGEDITOR IS NOT A FUNCTION

When I try editing policies in ESMC , I get an error. Any idea how we can get back to editing policies?

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.429.0)

Here is the message:

ERROR WHILE INITIALIZING CONFIGURATION EDITOR.: (TYPEERROR) : ((INTERMEDIATE VALUE)(INTERMEDIATE VALUE) , K).INITCONFIGEDITOR IS NOT A FUNCTION

• ESET Staff

Does this issue persist after you log-off and log back again to the webconsole? We are releasing a new version of the configuration editor for ESMC, and that might affect the console behavior in this way. 

• ESET Staff

You can check it in your "about" window. The module number should be: 1740.3

Can you please let us know the version of the server, console and browser? 

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.0 (7.0.577.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.0 (7.0.429.0)

Update module    1072 (20180813)
Translation support module    1740.1 (20190524)
Configuration module    1663.15 (20181129)
SysInspector module    1274 (20180918)
SSL module    1028.1 (20190327)
Push Notification Service module    1053 (20190321)

Database info:
DB Name: era_db
DB Version: Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP3) (KB4022619) Express Edition (64-bit) 12.0.6024.0
DB Size: 725MB
DB Hostname: xxxxx\ERASQL
DB User: era_user3

• ESET Staff

Hello,

I tested it with same version of Server, Web Console and Configuration module and it works OK for me. So maybe the issue is connected with your environment somehow.

It looks that a config editor JS file wasn't downloaded correctly from the server. So please open Developer tools in your browser and try to replicate the issue...maybe you will see some errors and you will find the failure reason.

If the problem still persist please send me your network log from browser(HAR) in a private message. I will check it.

There are instructions how to get Network log(HAR) if you are not familiar with it:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/kb/generating-har-files-and-analyzing-web-requests-720420612.html

Thanks

• ESET Staff

Hello,

We checked multiple browsers to identify which one produces this error (seems like you posted chrome error), However for future reference (and potentional improvement) can you please answer following?

1. browser(s) (in case of IE ideally export security settings for security zone console is in) - you already said you tried multiple, however platform/browser still matters for reproduction.
  2. webconsole behind reverse proxy/application firewall
  3. ESET (or other) product with TLS filtering enabled installed on computer connecting to console
  4. Any "uncommon" setup you can think of

This issue can arise in case _some_ https requests on same site (in this case as Pavel said seems like js script) is blocked from download. Which in case of TLS (to my knowledge) requires MITM interception (product/WAF/RP/actual attack) or extremely restrictive browser rules.

Thanks,

M.

Edited by Mirek S.

Urgh - it's doing it again.

My primary browser is Chrome, I am seeing the error in Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

Webconsole is behind CloudFlare

ESET Endpoint security is active on my workstations

I just realized, if I access Webconsole from https://localhost/era/webconsole that I am able to edit settings, so that seems to be the answer to question. What I don't understand is why CloudFlare allows access one day, but not the next.

• ESET Staff

Hello,

It's possible CloudFlare incorrectly caches some parts of configuration editor and returns out-of-date data causing this. Please create HAR log @PavelP mentioned it might help us determine whether issue is with CloudFlare or webconsole itself.

Ideal would be to have tomcat access log paired with this log to determine which requests made it to server and which did not.

Thanks.

Edited by Mirek S.