Importing setting to new HDD?

Hello,

Since The first build of Win 10 I have been created my own rules or modify them to block unwanted connections

Now, that my HDD is broken and I have to replace it, I also need to reinstall everything including EIS, but I don't need all the old rules, since I am going to start with a clean Win 10 install of the latest build, I was lucky to Export my settings and save it in a USB stick, before the HDD stop working.

My question is how to import only the latest settings I have created and not the oldest one?

Thanks

Camelia

15 minutes ago, camelia said:

My question is how to import only the latest settings I have created and not the oldest one? 

Guess I am not following you on this one. Each time you export your settings, a new .xml file is created. Just import the latest .xml file you created.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:55 PM, itman said:

Guess I am not following you on this one. Each time you export your settings, a new .xml file is created. Just import the latest .xml file you created.

Thanks it works like a charm buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

I am having a problem with one unwanted connection, I have tried everything but I don't know is this connection is blocked or not @ this moment, it is driving crazy!  😫

Please help me

Came

Nvidia.jpg.9ae8bf8eb0a0dc2bec536403e1924bf9.jpg 

1 hour ago, camelia said:

I am having a problem with one unwanted connection, I have tried everything but I don't know is this connection is blocked or not @ this moment, it is driving crazy!  😫

To begin with, there is a serious security vulnerability in regards to Nvidia GeForce versions prior to 3.18. You can read about that here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/nvidia-patches-high-severity-geforce-experience-vulnerability

The article also refers to Nvidia driver vulnerabilities that have been recently discovered. So you have to verify if your Nvidia drivers have been have recently updated.

As far as your screen shot goes, your Nvidia software is indicating that a GeForce software update is available. In light of the above posted, you probably want to perform the update. BTW - you don't need the GeForce software for your Nvidia drivers to function properly. It's primary purpose is to inform you that NVidia driver updates are available. It can be uninstalled via Control Panel -> Programs option.

Edited by itman

46 minutes ago, itman said:

To begin with, there is a serious security vulnerability in regards to Nvidia GeForce versions prior to 3.18. You can read about that here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/nvidia-patches-high-severity-geforce-experience-vulnerability

The article also refers to Nvidia driver vulnerabilities that have been recently discovered. So you have to verify is your Nvidia drivers have been have recently updated.

As far as your screen shot goes, your Nvidia software is indicating that a GeForce software update is available. In light of the above posted, you probably want to perform the update. BTW - you don't need the GeForce software for your Nvidia drivers to function properly. It's primary purpose is to inform you that NVidia driver updates are available. It can be uninstalled via Control Panel -> Programs option.

Oh! I did not know about that security issue thing 😱

But in my case my GPU is very old it is an NVIDIA 8800 GTS or something and I update to the latest version available for my very old graphic card,  since I don't play video games and because I don't have the money to buy the latest and most expensive GPU of any brand I am OK with this one, now....

The latest update is v342.1 for my GPU and as I said Is installed.. I don't understand why keeps remind me about the update, now is more important for me to block with EIS firewall all the connections.....

Or

it will be an easier solution uninstalling the NVIDIA GEForce experience v2.x and NVIDIA 3D?

Thanks

Update: I just read this

According to NVIDIA's advisory, the "risk assessment is based on an average of risk across a diverse set of installed systems and may not represent the true risk of your local installation. NVIDIA recommends consulting a security or IT professional to evaluate the risk to your specific configuration."

🤣🤣

If I don't have the money to buy a new GPU does NVIDIA thinks I have the money to consulting a security OR an IT professional to evaluate the risk to my specific configuration

🤣🤣

Camelia

02Nvidia.jpg.592f1bb21434eba67077ddef286f6901.jpg

Edited by camelia

Since it appears you want to still use GeForce and not uninstall it, you can download the latest non-vulnerable update here: https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download . That should eliminate the update alert you have been receiving.

As far as your other nVidia drivers, you have a problem. For any drivers less that release 390.65, you're vulnerable to the Spectre and Meldown vulnerablities noted here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4611/~/security-bulletin%3A-nvidia-driver-security-updates-for-cpu-speculative-side . I would serious considering updating your graphics card.

1 hour ago, itman said:

Since it appears you want to still use GeForce and not uninstall it, you can download the latest non-vulnerable update here: https://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download . That should eliminate the update alert you have been receiving.

As far as your other nVidia drivers, you have a problem. For any drivers less that release 390.65, you're vulnerable to the Spectre and Meldown vulnerablities noted here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4611/~/security-bulletin%3A-nvidia-driver-security-updates-for-cpu-speculative-side . I would serious considering updating your graphics card.

Thanks @itman

No, I don't have any problem to uninstall the GEForce Experience, but if there is a patch I will start using it meanwhile I save money to buy a decent GPU

Thank you very much

Camelia

Edited by camelia

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the GeForce Experience 3.19.0.94 For W10 64-bit patch, the icon gone 😶

Now how do I know If i blocked correctly all the unwanted connections from NVIDIA??? 😱

...Until I buy a new GPU? 😖

Thanks

Came

3 hours ago, camelia said:

Now how do I know If i blocked correctly all the unwanted connections from NVIDIA??? 😱

gf88 said:I may just add couple of steps:
1. Open "Services" and for "NVIDIA Telemetry Container" stop service and set startup type "Disabled"
2. Run AutoRuns and in "Task Scheduler" section disable:
+ NVIDIA telemetry monitor
+ NVIDIA crash and telemetry reporter (2 instances)
3. You may also want to remove Telemetry logs:
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA\NvTelemetryContainer.log
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTelemetry\events.dat
C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTelemetry\nvtelemetry.log
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTmMon\NvTmMon.log
C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NvTmRep\NvTmRep.log

Who needs an additional spy in your own PC?.. ;)
Awesome my friend, I forgot about those other bits
We need to send a clear message to Nvidia that we will NOT tolerate their spying on us via telemetry, and we will every workaround we can think of in order to defeat it. It's bad enough that windows 10 is virtually one massive spyware collecting agency

Rather than do all of the above, you can simply install nVidia drivers as normal. Once installed open an elevated command prompt and run the following:

rundll32 "%PROGRAMFILES%\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\InstallerCore\NVI2.DLL",UninstallPackage NvTelemetryContainer

This will remove all telemetry, logs, services and tasks. I use it all the time now and it's a very clean way of removing nVidia telemetry.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056140/geforce-drivers/defeating-nvidias-telemetry/post/5830317/#5830317

Personally, I just disable the Nvidia Telemetry service and leave it at that. I haven't seen any outbound Nvidia traffic after that. I also can't vouche the the above rundll32 method since I never used it.

As far as blocking GeForce Experience outbound activity, the best way to stop it is never install it or uninstall it. Also according to this article, nothing Nvidia Telemetry or Geforce Experience does is supposedly nefarious: https://www.howtogeek.com/280101/relax-nvidias-telemetry-didnt-just-start-spying-on-you/

Edited by itman

Oh today I learned a lot of new things 😍

thanks @itman

"Personally, I just disable the Nvidia Telemetry service and leave it at that.
I haven't seen any outbound Nvidia traffic after that.
I also can't vouche the the above rundll32 method since I never used it.
"

I am head headed I will go for the rundll32 method 😛

"As far as blocking GeForce Experience outbound activity,
the best way to stop it is never install it or uninstall it.
"

Uninstalled  😎

>This whole subject started to take on a life of its own when people noticed the latest NVIDIA drivers add an “NVIDIA  telemetry monitor”, or NvTmMon.exe, entry to the Task Scheduler. MajorGeeks even recommended disabling these   > tasks with the Microsoft Autoruns software.

I am going to download and install Autoruns software, just to see what other apps are running 😉

>You’re free to disable those telemetry services, but that won’t do anything for the time being. To truly stop NVIDIA’s software from phoning home, you’d have to break GeForce Experience by blocking its connections at the firewall level.

>BUT "In fact, if you block connections from GeForce Experience and it can’t connect to NVIDIA’s servers, it just kicks you back top a sign-in screen saying “We are unable to log you in at this time. Try again later.”

>This is a bad idea. Those graphics driver updates are important!"

Oh! Now I understand why the powerful EIS firewall can not do all the job always

>But if you do this, GeForce Experience won’t automatically check for and provide you with graphics driver updates anymore. The game-optimization features would stop working. Other Internet-connected features would also break.

I don't play video games, my GPU is a old one, I am going to save money to buy a decent one, once I have it I will worry about those other internet-connected features that also could break, What else can I brake if my NVIDIA drivers version are not helping? 🤣

Camelia

Edited by camelia

don't know if your system is used by others, but if it is not, then I would not worry about this issue. the security hole from the article can only be exploited locally, as in sitting at the machine. Unless you are going to be performing DDOS attacks or hacking into your own system, then your safe. If it's your own system, your should already have Admin level access to the OS available to you. the only way for to be vulnerable is if you allow access to your machine to a untrusted remote user using Remote Desktop, Teamviewer or other similar software.

On 6/14/2019 at 2:16 PM, cybot said:

don't know if your system is used by others, but if it is not, then I would not worry about this issue. the security hole from the article can only be exploited locally, as in sitting at the machine. Unless you are going to be performing DDOS attacks or hacking into your own system, then your safe. If it's your own system, your should already have Admin level access to the OS available to you. the only way for to be vulnerable is if you allow access to your machine to a untrusted remote user using Remote Desktop, Teamviewer or other similar software.

I am the only user, the only administrator, the only consulting security, the only who cooks here 🤣

Thanks for that info 😊

Buuuuut i love when my friends asking me about security issues and their faces when I provide them good advice 😛

Thanks to the expert of this forum

Came