Microsoft Edge Chromium

The new Microsoft Edge Chromium is not protected by Eset NOD32. Eset will only protect it if I rename msedge.exe to chrome.exe

When will Eset address this? Microsoft will soon be releasing a final version and it would be a shame if Eset ignored them.

• Administrators

Edge has never been supported as a secure browser because of the sandbox WDAG container technology that it run is, separated from the actual kernel.

• Most Valued Members
5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Edge has never been supported as a secure browser because of the sandbox WDAG container technology that it run is, separated from the actual kernel.

Will this be the same with the chromium version?

The new Edge is a Chromium based browser and is protected if I rename msedge.exe to chrome.exe as a test. Since it is a Chromium based browser when will Eset protect it? I have a multi year multi device license and feel that I have a right to this protection. Please test the new Edge.

One of the other features in the flags section of Edge is the ability to enable “App Container Lockdown”. This is a security feature that Microsoft will use to sandbox processes in Windows to add an additional layer of security when venturing into darker corners of the web.

https://www.petri.com/microsofts-upcoming-chromuim-based-edge-browser-has-few-features-for-the-enterprise

In other words, the new Edge browers will employ the same security features as the old Edge browser.

What about the Eset anti-phishing protection? All other antiviruses that have a web shield will protect the new Edge from phishing. Will Eset as well?

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Sammo said:

What about the Eset anti-phishing protection? All other antiviruses that have a web shield will protect the new Edge from phishing. Will Eset as well?

ESET's anti-phishing protection works independently of the browser used.

25 minutes ago, Marcos said:

ESET's anti-phishing protection works independently of the browser used.

It does not work with the new Edge Dev version and it often does not work with the newer versions of Firefox either.

Edited by Sammo

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

It does not work with the new Edge Dev version and it often does not work with the newer versions of Firefox either.

It must work because the content is filtered before a browser receives data. You can provide instructions how you tested so that we can check if you did everything alright.

37 minutes ago, Sammo said:

it often does not work with the newer versions of Firefox either.

No problem here with latest Firefox ver.:

Firefox_Phishing.thumb.png.0ca2026f8259c8595c068d9a68187625.png

17 hours ago, Sammo said:

The new Edge is a Chromium based browser and is protected if I rename msedge.exe to chrome.exe

@Sammo Why do you think it is protected after renaming?

15 minutes ago, AGH1965 said:

@Sammo Why do you think it is protected after renaming?

No idea. It must be fooling Eset into thinking that it is a normal Chrome.

30 minutes ago, Marcos said:

No problems here:

image.png

How are you getting this to work? Firefox will not be protected on any of my pc's running Eset NOD32.

Well, you know it's still in beta right? Pretty sure Eset will evaluate the when the next version of Edge gets finally released. And that's not in a long shot going to be this year.

could it be that esets cetificate is not included in your certificate store beacuse this site is using tls?

@firefox users -  firefox did some profile changes since ff 67. every firefox channel (stable, beta, dev, nightly) is now using its own profile. so the certificate store is not the same.

Edited by timse201

On 6/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, itman said:

https://www.petri.com/microsofts-upcoming-chromuim-based-edge-browser-has-few-features-for-the-enterprise

In other words, the new Edge browers will employ the same security features as the old Edge browser.

Does this mean features like banking don't work on Edge? I remember the feature always worked with Chrome despite enabling appcontainer in it.

Though, I wonder if the banking feature was changing the Chrome process to untrusted.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Azure Phoenix said:

Does this mean features like banking don't work on Edge? I remember the feature always worked with Chrome despite enabling appcontainer in it.

Though, I wonder if the banking feature was changing the Chrome process to untrusted.

When using Edge, Internet Explorer will be used as a secure browser.

10 hours ago, Azure Phoenix said:

Does this mean features like banking don't work on Edge?

I did some testing a while back in regards to Edge and Eset B&PP. Now, it is possible things have changed since then.

I set Edge to my default browser. Manually running Eset B&PP from the desktop opened Edge as a protected browser w/o issue. Whether Eset B&PP was fully functional in regards to keystroke protection and the like, I did not test for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

For me, this is already blocked by the Defender Smart Screen with Edge, but there is nothing to see about Eset's protection!

Unbenannt.JPG

Edited by SlashRose

I fixed the issue by changing the filtering method of msedge.exe from Auto to Scan. Now both Eset and Smartscreen protect the new Edge.

Edited by Sammo

12 minutes ago, BeanSlappers said:

Im using firefox 67 and the page https://www.amtso.org/check-desktop-phishing-page/ and it does not block it.

It does for me. See the above screen shot I posted. I also just retested with the same result, Eset detects it.

Do you have SSL/TLS scanning enabled?