bkdroid13

Windows 7 vs Windows 10??

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
Windows 10 does not ask user whether to install upadates or not.

Let me know your views on which to choose version of window.

I'd go for Windows 10 if you plan to continue using Windows and not moving to Linux for instance. It's more secure, provides AMSI for improved scanning of scripts and unlike Windows 7 it will remain fully supported for a very long time which is important from the security point of view.

11 hours ago, bkdroid13 said:

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
Windows 10 does not ask user whether to install upadates or not.

Let me know your views on which to choose version of window.

With the latest update Windows 10 has given users more options update wise. https://www.howtogeek.com/410183/microsoft-abandons-windows-10s-forced-updates/

Also as Marcos has stated it is far more secure. The only negative is privacy but there are ways to sort that

I would stay and enjoy Win7 and even thou support end 2020 and this is controversial to so many users but  I still think it will be more secure for years to come  then Win10.

Depending on your level of knowledge and how you rely on your windows, if your totally depend on windows automated updates future, windows 10 will do just that,  but as far is how MS has changed slightly the way your updates are delivered and your options,  its only for time been, due to the mess they made with previous updates that have messed up users PC's, once they get back to routine , it will go back to "Force of all updates"

I have # of windows XP and Win7 at my wife's office, probably about 16 workstations and they contain very important data that is shared  through network of systems and if you can set your hardware and software firewall to tight rules and watch for any suspicious activities your windows 7 will be as safe as can be.

Recently I have tried windows 10 and I really want to like it and I was even going to get few copies of retail Win10 pro for Workstation...disappointment and even thou I can defer  updates, still so many other things that are way out of whack.

Edited by URBAN0

16 hours ago, URBAN0 said:

I would stay and enjoy Win7 and even thou support end 2020 and this is controversial to so many users but  I still think it will be more secure for years to come  then Win10.

Depending on your level of knowledge and how you rely on your windows, if your totally depend on windows automated updates future, windows 10 will do just that,  but as far is how MS has changed slightly the way your updates are delivered and your options,  its only for time been, due to the mess they made with previous updates that have messed up users PC's, once they get back to routine , it will go back to "Force of all updates"

I have # of windows XP and Win7 at my wife's office, probably about 16 workstations and they contain very important data that is shared  through network of systems and if you can set your hardware and software firewall to tight rules and watch for any suspicious activities your windows 7 will be as safe as can be.

Recently I have tried windows 10 and I really want to like it and I was even going to get few copies of retail Win10 pro for Workstation...disappointment and even thou I can defer  updates, still so many other things that are way out of whack.

Hello Peteyt,

Thanks for your opinion. 

On 6/12/2019 at 9:01 AM, bkdroid13 said:

Hello Peteyt,

Thanks for your opinion. 

That wasnt me

On 6/11/2019 at 4:37 PM, URBAN0 said:

I wouldnt say windows 7 is more secure than 10. For example the recent issue they have fixed, BlueKeep, was so serious they released a patch to discontinued versions such as XP. It effected all versions from 7 and bellow but importantly not 10.

I agree there have been update issues but it does seem to have better security

Also don't forget about AMSI and protected services which were not available prior to Windows 8.1. With the help of AMSI script malware can be more efficiently detected. New script malware may be undetected on systems that don't support AMSI.

I believe this article sums up the differences nicely:

Security comparison

Microsoft has attempted to use scare tactics in the past to convince users to upgrade, but they have been called out on some of their claims by many in the tech community.

However, a third-party security company recently published data on their users supporting Microsoft’s claims that Windows 10 is more secure.

Webroot reported that only 15 percent of the total known malware files in 2017 were found on Windows 10 systems, while 63 percent of the known malicious files were found on Windows 7 systems.

There are a number of reasons for this pronounced imbalance, but a major difference is that Windows 10 forces automatic updates, while Windows 7 allows users to fully control when updates are installed.

There’s no doubt that Microsoft attempted to “harden” Windows 10 against many of the known exploit strategies used by malicious code writers, which is also a likely contributor. A great example of this was seen during the WannaCry ransomware attacks last year, as the vast majority of victims were running Windows 7, and Windows 10 users were completely unaffected.

Since Windows 7 was originally released in 2009, hackers have had a longer time to discover exploits and create clever tactics to compromise users. Knowing of these tactics, Microsoft created Windows 10 with completely new code, making many of the Windows 7 specific exploits harmless to its users.

https://wtop.com/tech/2018/06/is-windows-10-safer-than-windows-7/

Edited by itman