NOD32 Antivirus and HDDs help

URBAN0

35 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's not clear what you mean by "disabling that future" (feature? which one?)

By scanning all HDDs do you mean that if you select for instance C : here, also D : and other drives are scanned even if not selected?

image.png

OK...If you go to ESET's setting there are 2 options " Internet Protection" and "Computer Protection"

Under "Internet Protection" there is a future  were ESET  notify user of MS windows critical updates, you can turn it ON or OFF, if its ON that's where the issue is when you click even once on "Update" on the left of GUI  all of the HDD's are being turned ON but if you turn that future OFF problem disappears.

I should have also made more clear about the scan, it doesn't actually scan the HDD's but rather turns them ON. if I disable the function to scan removable media like USB stick and such, upon me inserting USB drive into my hub it wakes all HDDs again anyways.

Althou I enabled the device control which by default is OFF, I will try to disable that and try then.

What I love about NOD32 is that is so light and doesn't have any other  unnecessary add-ons like avast does  and why avast is  so bloated now, there are ton of people turning away from avast.

NOD32 is like avast was 10-15  years ago, very clean and light yet powerful

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators

This is the only setting related to OS updates, it's not under Internet protection. Moreover, I don't have any "Internet protection" entry in the gui:

image.png

Yes I'm sorry I just reinstalled ESET to check that and I was about to let you where exactly that future was

I don't know how on earth I got this in place I told you🙂 but yeas if you chose "No updates" issue is gone

Edited by URBAN0

What is the meaning of Device control. I have been enabling that , Its  OFF by default.

I think I might have confuse this future. I have enabled that so I thought If I want the USB to be scan upon insertion I have the option  but  even with Device control disabled  I still get the windows  with option how to proceed and if I chose not to scan USB  all HDDs are still sleeping witch I understand why scanning would wake them up.

What is that future. I think I'm getting somewhere now. it seem to work OK.

Edited by URBAN0

I  know I have to get familiar with NOD32 I have used avast for so long and even small change to different AV but with such rich

futures requires some patients

5 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

What is the meaning of Device control. I have been enabling that , Its  OFF by default.

I think I might have confuse this future. I have enabled that so I thought If I want the USB to be scan upon insertion I have the option  but  even with Device control disabled  I still get the windows  with option how to proceed and if I chose not to scan USB  all HDDs are still sleeping witch I understand why scanning would wake them up.

What is that future. I think I'm getting somewhere now. it seem to work OK.

If you click on the question mark top right you get to this page: https://help.eset.com/eis/12/en-US/idh_config_devmon.html

I really should have look into all theses first before flooding everyone with theses questions, sorry guys. I can only assume that my excitement and wanting to make this work the way I imagine got the best of me and I got a bit hyper 🙂

Wow I'm happy, it seem that all is working great I can navigate to main setting via tray icon or main GUI and  all HDDs are sleeping I can say..It was worth the wait great fix ESET :D

I left all settings at defaults because I'm totally new to NOD32, should I or will I benefit or is it advisable  to make any changes to default settings?

Any ETA on final release?

Thank you Marcos and all helping me with this I appreciate that

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

Any ETA on final release?

It is already final. We've started releasing it gradually for all, with pre-release users in the first wave.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

I left all settings at defaults because I'm totally new to NOD32, should I or will I benefit or is it advisable  to make any changes to default settings?

You can switch HIPS to Smart mode and configure extra HIPS rules as per https://support.eset.com/kb6119/. It's intended for Endpoint, however, the same rules can be created in consumer products as well.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, URBAN0 said:

So there will be actually offline installer available for download

Yes, it will become available probably next week.

😀

Thank you very much and thank you for all your help

Sorry for double post

Edited by URBAN0

On 7/11/2019 at 7:34 PM, Marcos said:

It is already final. We've started releasing it gradually for all, with pre-release users in the first wave.

Not found any problems with it yet Marcos, up to now it's performed faultlessly.

I really like how clean NOD32 is, no useless add-ons or totally unnecessary garbage like other AV trying to impose on you, also works great with my Outpost firewall PRO.

Look at the offline installer size of NOD32 and avast PRO...55MB oppose to avast almost 400MB its pathetic and after install NOD32  roughly 80MB opposed to avast PRO whopping 900MB.

Ton of long time users  turning away from avast  due to its nonsense.

Sorry to get down so much on another security software maker but they don't care how they forcing their customers and in sneaky way redirecting you to their paying websites by  creating sneaky tactics even thou we are already paying them, greed does not pay off this time at least with me.

After using avast PRO antivirus for 20 years I have to say I'm not going to miss them I found my new favorite AV.

I really think NOD32,  Its  clean and slim and  works great, also, support is top notch which is very important part of the whole package.

Thank you guys for all your help, I'm sure to spread a good word👌 

Edited by URBAN0