NOD32 Antivirus and HDDs help

URBAN0

• Administrators

We have identified the code that is most likely responsible for that behavior and will move it elsewhere so that opening gui doesn't cause disks to wake up. The change will be included in future builds of v12.2 which is currently available as beta and will go final within a few weeks.

I'm very excited to hear that this might be fixed with next release, can't wait to try the new improved NOD32 Antivirus that fixes that issue.

Once it's all good with the new update I will be purchasing few licenses.

Thank you

Is it possible to get notification when the new final release is out ?

Edited by URBAN0

• 2 weeks later...

Boy o Boy it seem so far away, so I hope its worth the wait. I'm still using avast Pro and I have almost 1200 days of subscription on each of 7 of my personal systems that doesn't include my wife's workstations and  I'm willing to switch if  the update will brings fixes.

Thanks Marcos

Edited by URBAN0

• 4 weeks later...

Is the new release almost out. I have to admit, even thou I was looking forward to try the new release update  and I have been patiently waiting for months  hoping to switch from avast PRO I'm getting a little bit inpatient 🙄

Edited by URBAN0

🙄 No response! not a good sign...If you wish you can please delete my thread, my patients just went out the window 😀

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators

We replied in another topic that update to v12.2 will happen automatically for those with pre-release updates enabled most likely within this week. The others will receive it gradually within the next few weeks or will be able to update earlier by manually running update.

And how  is this pre-release  version  for current customers supposed to help me who's been waiting for months I still can't download anything and see if at least issue I reported has been rectify  :mellow:

Edited by URBAN0

40 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

And how  is this pre-release  version  for current customers supposed to help me who's been waiting for months I still can't download anything and see if at least issue I reported has been rectify  :mellow:

Switch to pre-release updating in Eset. After that processing completes, check if current version is 12.2.23. If it is not, then perform a manual update check which should download version 12.2.23.

Thank you I will try that.

I was able to download  and install the pre-release version, I'm exited to test it 🙂

By any chance, Is there a quick guide for the best settings of NOD32

Edited by URBAN0

Opening main GUI itself and HDDs issue has been fixed which is great but unfortunately as soon I toggle between any of the option on the left e.g. HOME, TOOLS ext. HDD's are being  turned on again.

Edited by URBAN0

45 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

By any chance, Is there a quick guide for the best settings of NOD32

No.

As far as Eset is concerned, the default installation settings assuming PUA protection is enabled at that time provide the maximum protection.

Edited by itman

11 minutes ago, itman said:

No.

As far as Eset is concerned, the default installation settings assuming PUA protection is enabled at that time provide the maximum protection.

OK here is so far my observation with this new release.

HDDs issues and main GUI its fixed with exception when I click only on "update" or "scan" on the left but I wont even do an update or scan the system the  HDDs are being turned on.

Also, upon inserting removable media all of the HDDs are being turned ON again

8 minutes ago, URBAN0 said:

Also, upon inserting removable media all of the HDDs are being turned ON again

I believe the only solution for this would be to disable Eset's scan alert for removable medium. This could pose a security risk.

7 minutes ago, itman said:

I believe the only solution for this would be to disable Eset's scan alert for removable medium. This could pose a security risk.

OK so, It seems that if I disable Microsoft Windows Update under Internet Protection that stops activating all HDDs upon clicking on "Updates" on the left of GUI.

So now the only time HDDs are been turned ON is when I click on "Computer Scan" every time without even doing the scan

Edited by URBAN0

Unfortunately, even if I disable all media scan, it still turns all HDD's ON.

Why is this issue so persistent :mellow: such a wonderful antivirus program.

Thank you guys for trying to help, you are very kind and I apologize  for sounding rude and being inpatient.

Have a good day

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators
On 6/4/2019 at 12:44 AM, URBAN0 said:

It appears that there have been  issue related to HDDs and NOD32 whey back, maybe not exactly the same thing but HDD related😯

Do you mean that if you open the gui by double-clicking the tray icon the disks will spin up even with v12.2 installed?

disable Microsoft Windows Update under Internet Protection

Please clarify what do you mean by this? Could you provide a screen shot?

22 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Do you mean that if you open the gui by double-clicking the tray icon the disks will spin up even with v12.2 installed?

Please clarify what do you mean by this? Could you provide a screen shot?

Hello Marco,

If you open GUI and click only once, not even double-click, on either "Update" or Computer Scan" that is on the left of the GUI the HDDs' gets turned ON.

If I go to ESET's setting which  is under "Internet Protection" and disable the "Microsoft Windows Update" future, that seems to stop turning the HDDs if I click on the left panel of ESET's GUI "UPDATE"  but still leaves me with the "Scan Computer" and I don't even scan the computer that part still turns HDD's ON.

I have also try disabling scanning of removable media and that part still turns HDDs On upon inserting e.g.USB pen drive to USB port

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators

Yes, we've moved drive enumeration to the Computer scan window instead of when the main gui was opened. Without that we would not know what disks are available. So the fact that disks will spin up on activating the Computer scan window is not a bug, it's actually the fix for the issue you reported with v12.1.

Do your system and user temp and tmp variables point to a folder on the SSD disk?

1 minute ago, Marcos said:

Yes, we've moved drive enumeration to the Computer scan window instead of when the main gui was opened. Without that we would not know what disks are available. So the fact that disks will spin up on activating the Computer scan window is not a bug, it's actually the fix for the issue you reported with v12.1.

So by just clicking on "Computer Scan" and not even scanning them that will turn HDDs ON?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, URBAN0 said:

So by just clicking on "Computer Scan" and not even scanning them that will turn HDDs ON?

Yes, we must gather information about available drives before we offer to scan them. Before we did the enumeration when egui was opened, as of v12.2 we do it when the Computer scan window is activated.

3 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes, we must gather information about available drives before we offer to scan them.

I can live with that but how about the USB drive, even disabling that future still scan all  ALL HDDs, rather then only inserted drive I guess that is link to what you just explained to me I guess.

Thank you

Edited by URBAN0

• Administrators
Just now, URBAN0 said:

I can live with that but how about the USB drive, even disabling that future still scan all  ALL HDDs

It's not clear what you mean by "disabling that future" (feature? which one?)

By scanning all HDDs do you mean that if you select for instance C : here, also D : and other drives are scanned even if not selected?

image.png