NOD32 can't resolve IP address

cyrus

Hi

I have eset nod32 version: 12.1.34.0 on my PC( windows 10 home edition 64bit). I should use proxy server to connect to internet , there is a problem which I wanted to report and ask for solution.

I have set the proxy ,but nod32 can not connect to it and shows this error while updating : server not found

I changed the proxy settings and instead of domain name I set its IP address. it is OK now, but I need to set the domain name in my settings because IP address is dynamic.

it seems that the IP address can't be resolved from domain name , and there is no DNS settings in nod32 too, clearing cache won't help, just repairing the software fixes it but after a reboot again same problem comes up

I really appreciate any help

Edited by cyrus

• Administrators

Are you positive that nslookup can resolve the hostname but if entered correctly in the EAV advanced setup -> tools -> proxy server neither updates nor LiveGrid checks work ?

According to the below, only IP addresses are allowed for a proxy server:

To specify proxy server settings for this level, select Use proxy server and enter the address of the proxy server into the Proxy server field along with the Port number of the proxy server.

https://help.eset.com/eav/12/en-US/idh_config_connection.html

• Administrators

According to the below, only IP addresses are allowed for a proxy server:

I don't think this is true. The help says "address", not "IP address" and I didn't find it mentioned anywhere that entering a hostname instead of an IP address shouldn't work.

On 5/29/2019 at 12:51 AM, Marcos said:

Are you positive that nslookup can resolve the hostname but if entered correctly in the EAV advanced setup -> tools -> proxy server neither updates nor LiveGrid checks work ?

yes, both nslookup and ping shows accurate response , all browsers have access to proxy server. I configured the proxy in setup -> tools -> proxy server and both eset livegrid and update servers are unreachable. I tested in update>my profile> connection option too.

Are you sure that eset nod32 v12.1 has no such problem? and please note that whenever I repair the software by setup file , it gets well, ( but after rebooting again the problem shows up)

3 hours ago, cyrus said:

Are you sure that eset nod32 v12.1 has no such problem? and please note that whenever I repair the software by setup file , it gets well, ( but after rebooting again the problem shows up)

I am wondering if you had previously set up a proxy setting in Windows, forgot about it, and it is overriding Eset's proxy settings?

6 hours ago, itman said:

I am wondering if you had previously set up a proxy setting in Windows, forgot about it, and it is overriding Eset's proxy settings?

No eset has independent proxy settings ( until you push the button detect system proxy and system proxy affect eset settings) and as I said with IP address it works, the problem is just with domian name

1 hour ago, cyrus said:

until you push the button detect system proxy and system proxy affect eset settings

Note the following from the NOD32 knowledgebase article link I posted previously:

Click Detect proxy server to automatically detect and populate proxy server settings. The parameters specified in Internet options for Internet Explorer or Google Chrome will be copied

However in Win 10, proxy settings can be set globally for all network adapters:

win10_Proxy.thumb.png.f31a0f9486eccd07a538d4ca632d2012.png

15 hours ago, itman said:

Note the following from the NOD32 knowledgebase article link I posted previously:

However in Win 10, proxy settings can be set globally for all network adapters:

win10_Proxy.thumb.png.f31a0f9486eccd07a538d4ca632d2012.png

There is no proxy in Windows settings bro, as I said eset works properly with IP address.

Can you test it on your pc? Install ccproxy, appointe a domian name with local proxy in hosts file (for example: 127.0.0.1 esetproxy.com ) and set the proxy in your nod32 or internet security. If it didn't work it means it is a bug and should be reported to developers.

By any chance are you using FireFox? From the below screen shot, it appears it is also using a localhost proxy to filter traffic. Perhaps the uBlock Origin or Decentraleyes add ons do that. Don't know if that is a possible factor in this behavior. I've also disable WebRTC, RTCPeerConnection:

Eset_Firefox.png.e0b59ba10ee9fbdb56aece496c049567.png

Edited by itman

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

No problems here:

image.png

Thank you, and it was working even after a rebooting? 

3 hours ago, itman said:

By any chance are you using FireFox? From the below screen shot, it appears it is also using a localhost proxy to filter traffic. Perhaps the uBlock Origin or Decentraleyes add ons do that. Don't know if that is a possible factor in this behavior. I've also disable WebRTC, RTCPeerConnection:

Eset_Firefox.png.e0b59ba10ee9fbdb56aece496c049567.png

I uninstalled firefox but still the problem exists, I saw similar problem in other pcs and I am going to find the problem and let you know, tnx man

36 minutes ago, cyrus said:

I saw similar problem in other pcs and I am going to find the problem and let you know, tnx man 

You did manually enter the the proxy server name and port? I believe that is what @Marcos did versus using the "Detect" option.

Also the default setting in the Eset Proxy section is to "Use a direct connection" if proxy server is not available. As such, no necessary Eset server communication such as LiveGrid, sig. updates, etc. should have been blocked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:14 PM, Marcos said:

Yes, it works even after a reboot.

I found the problem , whenever I disable self-defense it gets fixed . is self-defense enabled in your settings?

• Administrators

You can temporarily enable logging of blocked operations in the advanced setup, reproduce the issue and then disable logging. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

5 minutes ago, Marcos said:

You can temporarily enable logging of blocked operations in the advanced setup, reproduce the issue and then disable logging. Next collect logs with ESET Log Collector and provide the generated archive.

You mean first I try to update with both proxy and self-defense enabled and collect the logs,then disable the self-defense and restart my PC then updated it via proxy and disabled self-defense ( which works well) then collect logs again?

• Administrators

It's enough to re-enable self-defense, reboot the computer, enable logging of blocked operations in the HIPS setup, reproduce the issue, disable logging and then collect logs with ELC.

28 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's enough to re-enable self-defense, reboot the computer, enable logging of blocked operations in the HIPS setup, reproduce the issue, disable logging and then collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

I attached the file ,tnx

eis_logs.zip

On 6/18/2019 at 1:35 AM, Marcos said:

It's enough to re-enable self-defense, reboot the computer, enable logging of blocked operations in the HIPS setup, reproduce the issue, disable logging and then collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

any news?