Block network traffic of specific app in automatic mode

Many years I used the firewall's interactive mode, but now Windows 10 apps keep moving to new folders with every update, that became too much hassle to continue. Therefore I switched to automatic mode. However, I would like to block network traffic of a specific app. Is that possible in automatic mode?

Edited by AGH1965

2 hours ago, AGH1965 said:

However, I would like to block network traffic of a specific app. Is that possible in automatic mode?

Eset firewall automatic mode does not imply that user firewall rules cannot be created.

Just create a rule to block the specific app.. That said, note that Win 10 app names change each time they are updated. This means that your existing rule is not longer applicable and a new Eset firewall rule needs to be created. Note that Win 10 auto updates its own firewall rules to accommodate like activity. Such is not the case with the Eset firewall.

Finally note that Eset's Network Protection Application Control only works when the firewall is set to Interactive mode. As such, you will not receive any alerts about existing firewall monitored app update activity.

On 5/26/2019 at 3:30 PM, itman said:

Just create a rule to block the specific app.

Can you give a rule example for a modern app? 😏

13 hours ago, zamar27 said:

Can you give a rule example for a modern app? 😏

Use the existing Win Firewall outbound rules as a guide as shown in the below screen shot. Whereas these are allow rules, I assume in your case you want to make them Eset block rules. One thing you do not want to fool around with is blocking Win 10 system packaged apps. In my opinion, it is easier and safer to just uninstall a Win 10 app you don't want. Then modify Win 10 Store settings to prevent downloading of new ones.

Win_Firewall.thumb.png.f72d0819a5eb8849ae1661f52df96836.png

Edited by itman

On 5/26/2019 at 9:30 PM, itman said:

Eset firewall automatic mode does not imply that user firewall rules cannot be created.

Just create a rule to block the specific app..

Isn't all outgoing traffic allowed in automatic mode? Can I simply add a rule or do I have to put it above the predefined rules? The order of the rules is important, isn't it?

4 hours ago, itman said:

In my opinion, it is easier and safer to just uninstall a Win 10 app you don't want.

I do want the app; I just don't want it calling home.

41 minutes ago, AGH1965 said:

The order of the rules is important, isn't it?

Not in this case. Adding the rule/s at the end of the existing rule set is fine.

5 minutes ago, itman said:

Adding the rule/s at the end of the existing rule set is fine.

Aren't the rules checked from top to bottom until one is applicable?

Just now, AGH1965 said:

Aren't the rules checked from top to bottom until one is applicable?

Yes. But existing Eset default firewall rules do not monitor for any app execution. Again, all outbound program activity is allowed.