Network Protection - Respone to ARP requests ?

Hello,

"Allow response to ARP requests from outside the Trusted zone"

i would like to know if i can disable that option or should i leave it enabled ? Im adjusting all my settings right now. I thought its a good idea to disable that option to improve security but im not sure if it can cause problems on my computer or with my internet connection. My network typ is "Public Network" in Windows. Does that mean there is no trusted Zone.. can in cause problems for me to disable that option on public network typ ?

Best regards

Edited by Computerjul

17 minutes ago, itman said:

Unless there is some issue, all Intrusion Detection settings should be left at their default values.

Thank you for your reply. Im sure thats an option but i would like to know more about this option and can i disable it ?

What are ARP requests and is it important to allow response to them ? When i dont need to respond to the ARP requests and it wont cause any problems on my public network why shoud i leave it enabled ? Im sure there is a reason why this option is available  :)

Best regards

Edited by Computerjul

• Administrators

Please if you are not an advanced user with technical knowledge about how networking works, use default settings. Otherwise setting non-default values may cause issues that you may not be able to resolve yourself without reverting to default settings.

As to what ARP requests and responses are, you can read about it on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol) or elsewhere on the Internet.

I will also add that Eset IDS has ARP poisoning/spoofing protection enabled by default.

Perhaps your reference material is this: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/protect-your-computer-against-arp-poison-attack-netcut/ . To begin with, it's a two year old article referencing Eset Smart Security ver. 8. As far as a NetCut attack goes, the software has to installed within the local network.

Assuming your PC is connected to a router if you disable Eset's "Allow response to ARP requests from outside the Trusted zone" IDS setting, Eset's Network Wizard will show "up the wazoo" blocked ARP requests originating from the router.

Edited by itman