Thinking of trying ESS

I'm thinking about trying a trial of the latest release of Eset Smart Security. It's one of the few products I have never tried at all before. 

Question for long-time users - what are the primary advantages of ESS that you have found in using it over the years? What does it do well, in your experience? And what are the areas where you've encountered some problems, where perhaps it needs to be improved? And, finally, how have you found the customer service and support to be?

Thanks in advance for you input!

• Most Valued Members

one of the reasons i use it is for the firewall feature. here is a comparison.

everything it does it does it well.

i haven't encountered any noteworthy issues. it runs smoothly on my windows 8 machine.

i think i must have contacted support about 3 times all those years i use the products.

they were perfect.

but you must try it and see for yourself.

Hey mhl6493

My first flirt with Eset was from about 2 years ago.It was in my/ours gamer group, that I first saw it. We did a trial period, to see if it could handle, at times our tough environment, I mean in terms of software,.... of course. Our criteria was, that is should have a low rate of false positives, and at the same time high rate of detection. Something that is not so easy to achieve. Our experience at that time, with many product was, that if a product had an aggressive approach, in terms of advanced heuristic, then it has a higher tendency to give false positives. We found Eset to excel in this area, and had a fine balance between false positives and protection.To cover us in all fronts, we installed image software on our machines. Why, because no software can protect 100 procent, and we will rather use the time playing together than restoring software from scratch. The second goal was to find an AV software which were light on the system. When we mean light, then we do not mean the amount of ram it will use, but how well the overall system drag/ slowdown is. For benchmark a system we used 3DMark, and again our choice fell on Eset.

Regarding support, then I can only say, that my local vendor here in Denmark has been great, for those questions I have had. And the time period before a feedback from support, has typically been 12 hours, in most cases. Never had any major problems that I/we could not handle, but then again, in my Gamer environment we have many self-taught " Nerds". There is always one around which have an idea.(not always a good one). Backup your system, then go for a trial, and see if you like the way Eset works on your system.

Regards, Janus :-)) , oh have a nice day

Edited by Janus

Hey,

You're welcome, just ask if you should have any other questions. I Hope to see you around here again. :-))

Regards, Janus

mhl6493...I have been using Smart Security for about 3 years (more or less). As I am not the brightest bulb in the marquee of the IT/PC world, it gives me peace of mind with it's consistent performance and protection. In addition to the great help offered on the "official" forums, the ESET support staff has always been ready and willing to jump in as needed/requested ASAP. I am a happy camper! :rolleyes:

Hope you join us...

Sincerely,

Edited by TomFace

hi mhl6493 :)

i've been using eset since about april 2008 and i am more than satisfied with it --- there may have been a few [count 3 maybe 4] hiccups along the way but all in all, i've not a bad word to say about it.

it runs silently in the background, you can configure it to your personal specifications, it's lightweight yet it carries the weight of your computer and online needs.  for my money, it's big bang for your buck...

to boot, on this forum you have eset techs with first hand knowledge of eset's machinations along with numerous registered forum users and their hands on, every day user knowledge --- solid help and knowledge base...

good luck with your decision :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Charles Holman

Yes a very good and solid protection software.I used another security software for years and tried the trial version.After 2 weeks I was sold on eset.The support is amazing and no issues .So far,So good.Thanks ESET.

• Most Valued Members

Every other AV I tried brought my 9 year old 1.8GHz XP to a useless state. I read that ESET AV was easy on resources. It was and still is.

At first I had only NOD32 AV and used other firewall software. During those days and till this day I have never had an incident of infection or any other unwanted intrusion. In those days I must admit that I was not to bright about the dangers of the internet, and still I remained safe.

When I purchased my Win7 computer it came with a 90 trial of another security suite. After a lot of cursing Windows 7 I decided to try several of the so called free AV products. They're free if you don't count your time trying to get them to work or figure out why you can't connect or some other issues. Sometimes I think those AV's keep you safe by taking up all your time trying to get them to work.

I eventually got tired of all the trouble and re installation  windows, several times, before going to ESS for both the XP and Windows 7 OS. I Haven't had one glitch with either system and only know it's there when I run a scan  or see them update... Darn good software.

The only exception to my experience that I am disappointed with is the creation of the emergency CD. Never have been able to get one made correctly and my posts on the subject went without resolution.

The only exception to my experience that I am disappointed with is the creation of the emergency CD. Never have been able to get one made correctly and my posts on the subject went without resolution.

Well if your up for it, lets see about getting that taken care of o.O ?!?

Toss me a PM after the holidays and we will see what we can do next week!!

• Most Valued Members

Well if your up for it, lets see about getting that taken care of o.O ?!?

Toss me a PM after the holidays and we will see what we can do next week!!

Sounds good to me, thanks 

Yes a very good and solid protection software.I used another security software for years and tried the trial version.After 2 weeks I was sold on eset.The support is amazing and no issues .So far,So good.Thanks ESET.

Edited by chrlshlmn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I would highly recommend eset to be honest.

I have used other products over the years and i was a comodo user for about a year and a half,so 2 days ago i installed the trial version of ess 6 and i can tell you this,I have dumped comodo for good now and im going to stick with eset.

I intend to buy a licence and i havent looked back since.My computer runs a lot better now with eset installed and i love this program.

Please give eset a try.You will not regret it. :)

I must honestly say, I never thought I would see a comment like this from you, you have only switched between Avast and Comodo back and forth as long as I can remember.....no sorry Kaspersky was in there too somewhere....but not anymore it seems.  :P  ;)

I am happy because you are happy :)

Edited by SweX

I must honestly say, I never thought I would see a comment like this from you, you have only switched between Avast and Comodo back and forth as long as I can remember.....no sorry Kaspersky was in there too somewhere....but not anymore it seems.  :P  ;)

yes this is true but i was having network issues and bluescreens with avast.i gave the new comodo plenty of chances but it was becoming too bloated and heavy.

It sounds strange i know but i instantly liked eset when i installed plus it is more friendlier to my computer.For some reason i dont trust comodo themselves as a company.

Anyhow im loving the eset set-up i have now and after 30-days trial i am going to make a purchase.

Thanks.

I was an avg user for years,until I installed eset smart security trial and  after 2 weeks I decided eset was my choice for security along with the tech support and this forum makes it a very great software.Thanks ESET.

Having the opportunity to meet the people behind the program, makes it that much better.

I have been a solid Eset customer since ver 4.

I have watched the program improve and grow over time. I have Seen the company rise from small to impacting !

Andrew Lee is one very cool person and always concentrating on the next big step !

Their North American sr. public relations manager is one of the best people the world has to offer, and his position earned was one of the greatest achievements for ESET. I feel he is doing great things for ESET always.

I met a few of the malware researches from all over the globe, and a few of the Sales engineers and have never met better people.

The forum mods here are the most helpful and willing to assist i have witnessed.

Oh did i mention their software is pretty darn good on the computer too ?

You will not find a better combination of service anywhere. Period.

Edited by Arakasi

yes this is true but i was having network issues and bluescreens with avast.i gave the new comodo plenty of chances but it was becoming too bloated and heavy.

It sounds strange i know but i instantly liked eset when i installed plus it is more friendlier to my computer.

I see, and I fully understand, that's never funny.  :(

No, I don't think it's strange at all that you started to like ESET as fast as you did. That's such a positive reaction I love to see from new users after that I have used ESET for so many years   ;)

Edited by SweX