SSL certificate authority issue (Firefox or ESET's issues or both?)

cmit

• Administrators
On 5/14/2019 at 9:01 PM, cmit said: 

Our "Display alerts" and "Display notifications on desktop" is set to disabled. Is this the reason we didn't get that red and yellow alert?

That's correct.

1, With "Display notifications on desktop" disabled:

image.png

2, With "Display notifications on desktop" enabled:

image.png

I don't know where you currently stand with this issue.

A small software developer who is popular over at wildersecurity.com and specializes in certificate validation software has just released a new man-in-the-middle detection tool. You can read about it and download it from here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/mitm-checker.416844/ . You just extract the .zip file and run the .exe from the created folder. I ran it without issue using EIS ver. 12.1.34. There was one bug in regards to www.go.com checking which might be fixed by now which results in a handshake failure. Note that this tool is browser independent and uses its own .exe for web site root certificate validation.

What this tool does in essence is verify that the Windows root CA store certificate thumbprint of the installation run from matches the thumbprint of the corresponding root CA certificate the web site is using.  Note that if your using a network perimeter appliance that is intercepting SSL/TLS traffic for employee monitoring purposes, that could be an issue using this software. I ran the software from my Win 10 x(64) 1803 build and had no issues using it with Eset SSL/TLS protocol scanning enabled. All 100 test web sites except the above noted www.go.com web site showed "OK' in my test indicating no man-in-the-middle activity; at least as far as certificate manipulation is concerned.

Finally, this tool would not validate the status of Firefox's root CA store for example.

Edited by itman